Post-Game Talk: [EX3] Canucks lose to Kraken | 1-3 (Garland)

Do you hate our road sweaters?

• Yes

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hronek has been decent although ASP has looked fantastic for Detroit thus far lol. But Brock looks completely useless and Miller appears to be out of shape at the start of the season, yet again.

I guess Beauvillier has been ok as well. Overall very underwhelming.
Probably good that Hughes is the "C" and not "I'll play well when the mood suits me Miller". Thing is, when Miller is motivated, he's an allstar.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
We are already having a terrible start. I know the losing doesn't count till the season opens. Management blew it right out of the gate with that 10 nothing loss.

The rest of the pre season has to be played with the opening night roster so we know wtf we have.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
11 shots on net when we pulled the goalie. The Tocchet era is here!

Half joking, one thing to work on new systems in practice and a scrimmage, something else all together versus other NHL teams. And the rosters aren't close to our full NHL roster, but take some shots all the same.

Oh well. Demko looked solid. Hronek looked good. Garland has had a good TC and preseason. Beau wasn't too bad. Dakota played better. Now cut some guys and on to PS#4.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We are already having a terrible start. I know the losing doesn't count till the season opens. Management blew it right out of the gate with that 10 nothing loss.

The rest of the pre season has to be played with the opening night roster so we know wtf we have.
More than any other poster, you seem to have been emotionally scarred by the 10-0 loss to the Flames (who pretty much iced their opening night roster).

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I dunno, I kind of see where we're headed and I'm ok with it. Basically this is the 2nd game because the first game was essentially the entire Abby team playing. I see the structure we're trying to put in except there are some mistakes, and a lot of those mistakes are by AHL guys whose whole line/pair is AHL guys.

Issue with this game (only watched 3rd period) and the previous game is that Hughes and Hronek are our puck movers and they haven't played in the same game yet. So basically there's not a huge amount of service from the back end. Last game was pretty good in terms of limiting chances until the McDavid OT breakaway, not sure about this game (the 3rd game was a huge brainfart with half our team on one side of the ice but they botched a near-blueline clearing attempt). But they look a lot better in the neutral zone. Forecheck still needs work but Joshua looks like he's in much better shape than last night somehow. I dunno, I think it will all come together when they get all the main guys in the lineup.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
How were the pre season results in the Sedin era
Not to worried about the results but I’m disappointed by some individuals. Podkolzin, Boeser are at the top of that list. Myers I can’t really even fault, it’s not his fault that his hockey sense sucks.

For all the talk about how this deep is at winger, I’m really not seeing it. Just feels like a sea of 3rd wheel types.

The Miller line not being able to carry the puck effectively from the D zone to the offensive zone is going to hurt this team

Reactions: mossey3535

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
More than any other poster, you seem to have been emotionally scarred by the 10-0 loss to the Flames (who pretty much iced their opening night roster).
It just brought this entire city down to the level of the worst of the 2022 season, right out of the gate. We need a good start. And you couldn't have played it worse if you tried when you lose 10 nothing. Have we recovered from it ? Doesn't look like it to me.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
At least Hronek Demko Garlic Bou all looked pretty good.

Im not really disappointed by the results or anything I know this shit team too well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Need to cut a bunch of guys and start dressing more representative rosters. A whole bunch of guys playing who have zero chance of making the team and when you have Dries-Sasson playing half the game at C with Juulsen/Irwin/Brisebois as half your D group you're going to get badly outshot.

- thought the Cole-Hronek pairing was very solid and Hronek was probably the best Canuck, so that was a positive. Both guys just very solid, in the right places, no breakdowns.

- rest of the D was ... ehhhhhhh. Juulsen just isn't an NHL player unless he's got Quinn Hughes carrying him. Irwin is slooooooooow. Brisebois really struggles to move the puck. Wolanin I thought was the best of the group generally but then made a bad PK clear on the winning goal.

- Sasson and Bains are both competing hard and if they keep doing this they'll have big years in the AHL and can come back and compete strongly for jobs next year. Not really sure why Sasson got 3 preseason games but he did have easily his best game tonight. Both should be cut now.

- Brock Boeser ... wow. I actually found myself hoping that maybe he'd be in better shape and look quicker this year, but this was as bad as he's ever looked. Just an absolute slug floating around, when he gets the puck he's just scooping it into space for a line change. Zero intensity, did nothing positive tonight.

- Miller didn't do much at ES but I thought he had some good PK shifts.

- PDG was our best forward overall, I thought. Baffled by some of the criticism here. Very good on the forecheck, won lots of battles, didn't get a lot of support. Solid player.

- the Beauvillier-Suter-Garland line was not bad. Scored a goal, had a few chances.

- Dries at C is Dries at C. The guy should only ever be on wing.

- Joshua had another strong physical game, some good shifts deep in the Seattle zone. Has probably pulled himself out of danger of getting cut.

- Podkolzin is just kinda sad to watch right now. So timid and confused-looking out there. Zero assertiveness, poor body language. I don't see how he can make the team over a guy like Studnicka who is doing the exact opposite things.

- Linus Karlsson : why is he still getting games?

- Demko looked very sharp which is the other big positive from this game.

- I talked about Ryker Evans a bit in the Abbotsford thread last year and that guy is going to be a very good NHL player, probably this year. The Belanger kid for Seattle was also impressive.

Karlsson/Bains/Sasson types all need to be cut. Need to thin out the blueline, too, and need to be getting 14-15 NHL players in the lineup for the last 3 games and building some possession and momentum.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
How were the pre season results in the Sedin era

6 wins and 1 loss in 2008
7 wins and 2 losses in 2009
3 wins and 5 losses in 2010
3 wins and 5 losses in 2011

I give that core a pass for slacking off in 2010 and 2011. They played like ass but you were never concerned once the regular season came around.

This group has proven nothing. I don't expect playoff hockey in these mean nothing games but at least show some good habits.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also when you go from what Green (didn't) preach for so many years to what Tocchet is trying to do, I think you have to expect a lot of low event hockey with a bunch of mistakes considering the extra guys and people coming back from the off-season. That's what the preseason is for, then hopefully they can add in their scoring when they get that down first. Also, this is eeriely similar to the last few games in the season last year when the team had adsorbed a lot of lessons but Hughes was basically the only NHL d-man on the roster and the team was just trying to get through the season. Limiting the opposition to middling chances and getting out-shot but still winning games here and there. That roster on the backend at least is very similar to what we put out there for EDM and SEA. So I'm not hugely surprised.

Reactions: Nomobo and Indiana

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Boeser looked like a sloth in the preseason of his rookie year as well so I'll reserve judgment but he should be on a short leash.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thank Gawd this game wasn't televised.....even the Sportsnet 650- play-by-play team were critical of the effort. When homers like that are disillusioned with the game, then it's pretty telling.

The hard reality is that too many Canuck veterans just seem to mail it in during the pre-season. I have no idea whether or not you can lollygag your way through the pre-season and flip a switch at the start of the season. I guess it does happen.....but not to the Canucks in the past three seasons.

Frankly I'm tired of listening to all the excuses about some veteran players like Miller, Boeser, Beauvillier etc. etc. Let's face it, they just went through the motions tonight.

I hope I live long enough for a Canuck coaching staff to start holding players accountable for their efforts in the pre-season. If McWard, Bains, Hirose or Hoglander are your best players then play them to start the season.

. For team as historically bad as the Canucks, nobody's job should be 'safe'.

Reactions: mossey3535

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Quite the dreary game... 3 preseason games in I think you can be confident that the D, team defence, and PK will be better, but I'm actually concerned about 5v5 scoring. If Petey and Kuzy don't pop, we might have problems because no one else seems to have any jump. I'm concerned about them too because until Mikheyev comes back I don't think they have any good fit for a linemate either.

Miller line tonight was pretty pedestrian. Miller had a really casual game but you'd expect that he'd pace himself and come into the season fine. PDG I wanted more from competing for a spot but he looked fine and might be safe given other performances. Boeser looked the same as before -- it's preseason, but it's easy to be concerned when all you've heard end of last season and during the offseason is that he's a new man. It's not just the footspeed for Brock, it also looks like he can only make plays standing still so the line doesn't have momentum in any zone.

I actually like what I saw from the Suter-Garland-Beau collective. They're all credible third liners. The Suter-Garland chemistry in camp doesn't look like smoke - they don't move it forward with speed but somehow they can still chip and shuffle the puck in the right direction.

Joshua came in again with hits and boardwork. Given it's a back-to-back I'll credit him with the consistency more than the results. Dries looked rinsed again, should be on waivers sooner than later.

Sasson and Bains had admirable efforts but were often overmatched. Bains could use more strength and Sasson some details on the puck. Podkolzin just looked pitiful, played more like a puppy than a hound. Cutting him early would be merciful, he needs to build himself up in Abby yet again. Didn't notice Karlsson except for a couple looks in the o-zone, but I'm still doubtful about his mobility.

Hronek looked solid, and I didn't see anything alarming about Cole. The rest of the D had a harder time in the D zone, especially Wolanin with his pizza on the PK. Juulsen as the next RD available might still pitifully make the team as an extra but I wouldn't give anyone else a shot (EDIT: besides Brisebois).

Demko looked good, no complaints there.

On the Seattle side, seems exciting that they have a youth movement 3 years in so effortlessly. Drafting Beniers, Wright, and Evans and then getting Tolvanen for free. No clear superstar yet (Dunn at best?) but it's clear they have room to keep building and building. Even without the huge difference makers they move up and down the ice at will. How can you not be envious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad