Ex Toronto Red Wing Superstars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerpaul*

:dunno: Adam Colagiacomo, Chris Heron and Daniel Tkachuk were not only 3 of the best young players in Canada, but the world...for their age. They starred on one of the greatest peewee teams of all time. Pro scouts knew of them and watched them whenever they could. They all had succussful Major Junior and NCAA careers but are virtually all retired as 24 and 25 year olds as I write this. What happened? It's been said that they played too many games, at too high a tempo for too long a period... and that may have led to their "flatlining or burnout". Anyone familiar with these 3? Any thoughts? :help:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
beerpaul said:
:dunno: Adam Colagiacomo, Chris Heron and Daniel Tkachuk were not only 3 of the best young players in Canada, but the world...for their age. They starred on one of the greatest peewee teams of all time. Pro scouts knew of them and watched them whenever they could. They all had succussful Major Junior and NCAA careers but are virtually all retired as 24 and 25 year olds as I write this. What happened? It's been said that they played too many games, at too high a tempo for too long a period... and that may have led to their "flatlining or burnout". Anyone familiar with these 3? Any thoughts? :help:

It's quite simple, they were great players when they were playing against kids that were their age. Once they had to step it up and play against men they weren't good enough. From what I've heard with Cologiacomo, he had some off ice issues. Heron I have no idea what happened to him after BU, and Tkazcuk had a good start to his career but was never a good NHL guy, he was a minor league player. Maybe some people will take notice that just because a guy is a top player in bantam, midget, junior, doesn't mean he'll be a good pro. Way too many people talk like that, it gets annoying.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Before being drafted, Tkaczuk played two seasons with Jan Bulis and Volchchuk. There are many junior players in the Entry Draft history who have been mis-evaluated because they were playing at junior level with great players. Tkaczuk may have been overrated for this reason. Indeed, when he lost his two companions after being drafted, his production decreased of 20%.

But there are probably more reasons why Tkaczuk did not succeeded in the NHL. At the age of 20, this guy recorded 66 points in the AHL, ranking him first scoring leader of his team, which is not bad at all. Only 4 years later he was retired. Someone somewhere may have THE explanation.

TheZodiac

Oct 24, 2003
Mississauga
Visit site
I remember watching that Red Wings PeeWee team of superstars, I don't think
Tkachuk was on that team, he played for the Marlies. Mike Cammelleri and Anthony Aquino were also on this Red Wings team.

The GTHL in Toronto used to be the best place for young kids to grow up and play AAA hockey, now it has become a recruiters league, if you got the money buy your players. Look at the North York Canadians owner his sons team of 11 yr olds budget was $200 000!!!!!!!

John Gardiner has run the GTHL into the ground.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
I played for the Red Wings for 6 seasons and I was a part-time scout for the Aurora Eagles (Metro Jr. B) after I finshed playing Hockey (at about 21-22)... that was at the time Daniel Tkachuk was 14-15 (maybe even 16) and I remember scouting his games and am pretty sure he ever played for the Toronto Red Wings - I remember him playing for the Mississauga Senators.

Not to nitpick, I just wanted to set that staright.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Daniel Tkaczuk isn't retired. He played for Lukko of the Finnish Elite League this year. Did alright. He looks like he'll probably try to carve out a career over there. He can still make some nice money if he can establish himself as one of the better players over there.

With Colagiacomo, man I thought that he was going to be a good player. He was one of my favourite OHL players back in the day. His skills just never translated to the professional level though. And the attitude problem thing Ive heard before too. I do believe he retired.

I have no clue what the hell happened with Chris Heron. Looking at hockeydb, he played only one professional season, and put up mediocore stats. However he was still only 20-21, coming from college. And after that he disappeared which is really, really unusual. Must be something with this we are missing, such as an injury?

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Brock said:
With Colagiacomo, man I thought that he was going to be a good player. He was one of my favourite OHL players back in the day.

Same here, I really liked Colagiacomo back then and thought he would've been a good NHLer (was really surprised to see him slip in the 1997 draft)... another guy who kinda fell off the planet is Jason Bonsignore - I also thought he was gonna have a great career... just goes to show you how tough it is when it comes to evaluating young talent.

TheZodiac

Oct 24, 2003
Mississauga
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:
I played for the Red Wings for 6 seasons and I was a part-time scout for the Aurora Eagles (Metro Jr. B) after I finshed playing Hockey (at about 21-22)... that was at the time Daniel Tkachuk was 14-15 (maybe even 16) and I remember scouting his games and am pretty sure he ever played for the Toronto Red Wings - I remember him playing for the Mississauga Senators.

Not to nitpick, I just wanted to set that staright.
You are correct he played Peewee with the Marlies then at minor bantam he switched to the Mississauga Senators.

beerpaul*

:) Cammalleri played for the Red Wings but is 2 years younger than Daniel, Chris and Adam. Heron, Colagiacomo and Tkachuk all played on the same Red Wing team. I've seen Heron play Tier 11 for Bramalea, and I saw him play many games, on sattellite at Boston University, and this guy was an excellant overall player who was probably one of the smartest players I've ever seen. The knock on Chris was his size and he wasn't an "in your face...pest" type of player. If he was given a fair chance he could have played in the NHL as a third or fourth line player as a Geoff Sanderson type of player...but smarter. His stats don't do him justice with the Phantoms because he didn't get much ice time, and played on the penalty kill...yet he still had one of the highest plus/minus stats on the team.
TheZodiac said:
I remember watching that Red Wings PeeWee team of superstars, I don't think
Tkachuk was on that team, he played for the Marlies. Mike Cammelleri and Anthony Aquino were also on this Red Wings team.

The GTHL in Toronto used to be the best place for young kids to grow up and play AAA hockey, now it has become a recruiters league, if you got the money buy your players. Look at the North York Canadians owner his sons team of 11 yr olds budget was $200 000!!!!!!!

John Gardiner has run the GTHL into the ground.

beerpaul*

Brock said:
Daniel Tkaczuk isn't retired. He played for Lukko of the Finnish Elite League this year. Did alright. He looks like he'll probably try to carve out a career over there. He can still make some nice money if he can establish himself as one of the better players over there.

With Colagiacomo, man I thought that he was going to be a good player. He was one of my favourite OHL players back in the day. His skills just never translated to the professional level though. And the attitude problem thing Ive heard before too. I do believe he retired.

I have no clue what the hell happened with Chris Heron. Looking at hockeydb, he played only one professional season, and put up mediocore stats. However he was still only 20-21, coming from college. And after that he disappeared which is really, really unusual. Must be something with this we are missing, such as an injury?
An update on Heron. After playing for the Phantoms, he played for a pro team in Slovenia for 1 year. He scored a goal and an assist in his final game, when his team won Slovenia's national championship, then he retired. That's all I've read about Heron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad