Player Discussion Evgeni Dadonov: A New Dad in Town

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
weird situation - MSL's reaction in that interview was telling.
No NHL team wants him at that cap and lack of production.
Waivers looks bad on the habs, maybe they find a trade,
maybe he's actually injured, maybe he really does want to go back to KHL.
lots of maybes

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
I think people care about Dadonov about as much as he cares about playing in Montreal.

Exactly. His main purpose was to get rid of Weber's contract, which is the only reason we took him. We save 4 years of Weber for a contract that ends this season.

Him producing would only take time away from young players and would jeopardize the tank. It would only be a bonus if he was good enough to get something at the trade deadline. Unfortunately, that ship has now sailed, and I don't think anyone is really surprised by this.

At this point, send him to the AHL, and tell him to stay home. Case closed. The only thing that will suffer is Molson's wallet.

In the end, it was still a great trade!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well Tatar was a cap dump too ... from the same team ...

I had no expectation but i think it was a good gamble. We had to trade Weber's contract away anyway so might as well take a chance on Dandonov instead of giving a pick.
Not exactly. Tatar was 27 when the Habs acquired him vs. Dadonov who looks like he has nothing left in the tank at age 33.

Having no expectations is completely defensible since Dadonov already served his purpose in allowing the Habs to get rid of Weber’s contract.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
But that would mean he would forfeit the 5M right?

I think he'll end up accepting to be sent to Laval or if he pouts, just asked to stay home with pay.

Yes, he'd give up his $5M. However, he probably has a few KHL teams reaching out to his agent saying they're ready to sign him to a multi-year deal. So maybe Dadonov would be willing to terminate his contract, give up the money left on his current deal because he has a better deal back in Russia.

Of course, I'm saying I'd be happy if he terminates his contract. However, I can see him accept to go to Laval to continue getting paid.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, he'd give up his $5M. However, he probably has a few KHL teams reaching out to his agent saying they're ready to sign him to a multi-year deal. So maybe Dadonov would be willing to terminate his contract, give up the money left on his current deal because he has a better deal back in Russia.

Of course, I'm saying I'd be happy if he terminates his contract. However, I can see him accept to go to Laval to continue getting paid.

...And if I'm HuGo, I don't want him in Laval (regardless of the money/cap issues).

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don’t even know how anyone could have expectations about Dadonov — he was a cap dump for a reason.
He did well after Vegas failed to get rid of him at the trade deadline. He has or at least he had the ability to contribute offensively. MSL can try to get him going and if he can't then they can put him on waivers. Send him to Laval and hopefully he wakes up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He did well after Vegas failed to get rid of him at the trade deadline. He has or at least he had the ability to contribute offensively. MSL can try to get him going and if he can't then they can put him on waivers. Send him to Laval and hopefully he wakes up.
FWIW, the great majority of Franco pundits I’ve heard today on BPM and Spanre singled out Dadonov as the odd man out when Edmundson becomes activated. If they’re to be believed, there is high probability that Dadonov will be waived.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
FWIW, the great majority of Franco pundits I’ve heard today on BPM and Spanre singled out Dadonov as the odd man out when Edmundson becomes activated. If they’re to be believed, there is high probability that Dadonov will be waived.
Habs released an official statement to the press today saying that Dadonov is dealing with health issues. Hence the two therapy/maintenance days in a row. Lots of pundits ran off with "Habs not happy with Dad" because he's being health scratched but turns out he's just not at 100%.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He went PPG after the deadline so I figured he could at least put up 30-40 points. Now I doubt he'll even put up 20.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
When Edmundson is ready to return, he probably goes on IR which they can make retroactive.

Reactions: zx81

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When Edmundson is ready to return, he probably goes on IR which they can make retroactive.

To me, there aren't difficult roster decisions coming up. The decisions are easy.

- Send Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman to laval.

- When Matheson amd Edmundson are back, keep Kovacevic and Wideman as your number 7 and 8. But, as soon as you can trade one of Edmundson, Savard or Matheson for a 1st, do it. Then Kovacivic goes to #6, and Wideman #7.

- Go out and get a 4c like Tyler Pitlick so Evan's can have a bigger role in the top 9 on the wing.

-Move vets like Monahan, Anderson, and Dvorak if teams offer a 1st and/or a good prospect, like the Lehkonen and Toffoli deals.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To me, there aren't difficult roster decisions coming up. The decisions are easy.

- Send Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman to laval.

- When Matheson amd Edmundson are back, keep Kovacevic and Wideman as your number 7 and 8. But, as soon as you can trade one of Edmundson, Savard or Matheson for a 1st, do it. Then Kovacivic goes to #6, and Wideman #7.

- Go out and get a 4c like Tyler Pitlick so Evan's can have a bigger role in the top 9 on the wing.

-Move vets like Monahan, Anderson, and Dvorak if teams offer a 1st and/or a good prospect, like the Lehkonen and Toffoli deals.
Amen. Monahan us basically a free 1st, we need to not lose sight of the goal.

Reactions: 26Mats

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's early and if I recall it took a while for him to pick up the scoring last year but I was expecting more form him than what I have seen so far. Those hoping he could be flipped at the deadline for a decent pick or player might be dreaming if this continues.

Reactions: Runner77

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Daddy, no !
My project-1 (1).png

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I know there has not been any production but I don’t see that he was bad (he been pretty unlucky) not sure why people are so down on him it isn’t like he is costing us games (if anything he isn’t costing us enough games) or he was playing top line minutes bring down Suzuki and CC…

We got him for Weber anchor of a contract anyway if no team want him for a condition pick and he is to much of a distraction or bad for morale than waive him and we got rid of him and Weber contract, which was a major win…

What I find strange is the media looking for so much drama… no one believe he is sick and it is some kind of outrage that he is on the 7day IR, there has been many LTIR situation with more questionable situations where team actually gain cap wise… MTL buying 7days to put a guy on waiver (which they might not even do since there is 3 guys that are exempted) is not a big deal and isn’t new worthy… French media are trying to run this guy out of town but all this media attention (unhappy/ when over MSL head/ not really sick) isn’t helping is already low to negative value… he is a none factor so why is there so much media attention on this guy…

Reactions: rik schau

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Could be cause he's earning 5 million and playing like he works for 5 bucks a week?
In order to trade him for anything else but future considerations I think he should start to produce something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad