Prospect Info: Everything Swedish

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Can we get this back on track gang. Seider's nickname is going to be what the boys call him. Since they call Mantha Mo my guess is he will be Seids. We will see, I still think Mannheim Hammer is the best I have seen but unlikely.

Let's get back to discussing Swedish hockey please though.

Omg someone agrees with me! By far the best nickname :)

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Can we get this back on track gang. Seider's nickname is going to be what the boys call him. Since they call Mantha Mo my guess is he will be Seids. We will see, I still think Mannheim Hammer is the best I have seen but unlikely.

Let's get back to discussing Swedish hockey please though.
Everytime he evades a check/forecheck they could play M.C. Hammer's (Hammertime) You Can't Touch This. Initially, that'd be pretty funny, though I'm not a fan of Hip-hop, Rap and R&B music. Hey if Shanny got the (line-dancing) Irish Jig (arguably worse) goal song, MC Hammer doesn't seem so bad.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It's clear that SHL players do not watch game video.

You would think they have scouting reports at the least from the team on one of the best players on the team they face. Thats just me though. I know from when I played football (american) in my youth in Pennsylvania even in high school we had reminders from coaches certain important players from the opposing teams of their abilities (really fast, really strong, tendencies of stars and such) and it can really help you if attentive and stuff avoiding getting exposed, by not doing something that they are really good at countering/or a primary strength of theirs.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Veleno with a nice play to create the go-ahead goal in the dying minutes.
I think it might be fair to say Seider was at fault on the defensive end

J15

Mar 18, 2009

Great Play Veleno... Seider definitely with a mistake leaving his player

I will say the one criticism I have about Seider's defensive play is that he seems to get tunnel vision for the puck at times. More than a few times I've noticed that he'll drop his man to make a play on the puck carrier. Not sure if it's a matter of just trying to do too much or not trusting his team mates. His stick work and positioning are so good he usually gets away with it because he makes it so difficult to get a pass through, but every now and then something gets by him and usually results in a high-quality scoring chance.

Here's another example someone on twitter pointed out.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Oof... I imagine he was just giving Veleno too much respect and wanted to get the puck out of his hands before he could do anything with it?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I will say the one criticism I have about Seider's defensive play is that he seems to get tunnel vision for the puck at times. More than a few times I've noticed that he'll drop his man to make a play on the puck carrier. Not sure if it's a matter of just trying to do too much or not trusting his team mates. His stick work and positioning are so good he usually gets away with it because he makes it so difficult to get a pass through, but every now and then something gets by him and usually results in a high-quality scoring chance.

That’s a miscommunication between Seider and his partner at best I think. The first play Seider was successful.

The reversal he got crossed up probably thinking his partner would cover the left wing and the pass, and that his own winger would have been back for coverage. If his RW was back then it’s the correct read.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That’s a miscommunication between Seider and his partner at best I think. The first play Seider was successful.

The reversal he got crossed up probably thinking his partner would cover the left wing and the pass, and that his own winger would have been back for coverage. If his RW was back then it’s the correct read.
It's obvious to me Seider was trying to boost Veleno's confidence & stats, making him look even better in the eyes of RW brass...they are roommates/buddies after all.:sarcasm:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

I think this is spot on from the few games I have watched in the SHL. He’s overly aggressive on the puck carrier but definitely gets away with it. I think he will quickly learn with better competition though so I’m not worried

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Still not learning

Elite. Have never seen a prospect with so many reverse hits, so I can honestly use that term.

Not so elite, almost Bowey like.

I think this is spot on from the few games I have watched in the SHL. He’s overly aggressive on the puck carrier but definitely gets away with it. I think he will quickly learn with better competition though so I’m not worried
Well, that's what everyone said about Bowey, even back to his Hershey days. Never did stop chasing the puck.

Better teammates and coaching will go a long ways. Really need a steady vet partner for a year or two to work out those kinks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Imo the reason he "gets away with it" is because he has the IQ, mobility, size and reach to play this style.
A smaller/weaker D can't be as aggressive, because they're easier to shield the puck from and can't physically outmuscle other players the same way.
A slower D can't be as aggressive because they can get burned easily by faster players.
A dumber D can't be as aggressive because they're going to misread the play and get caught out of position.
etc.

It's the defensive equivalent of looking at Datsyuk and saying "well, he got away with stickhandling through traffic THIS time, but he'll need to adjust".

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Imo the reason he "gets away with it" is because he has the IQ, mobility, size and reach to play this style.
A smaller/weaker D can't be as aggressive, because they're easier to shield the puck from and can't physically outmuscle other players the same way.
A slower D can't be as aggressive because they can get burned easily by faster players.
A dumber D can't be as aggressive because they're going to misread the play and get caught out of position.
etc.

It's the defensive equivalent of looking at Datsyuk and saying "well, he got away with stickhandling through traffic THIS time, but he'll need to adjust".
I agree. I think he is very smart and only takes chances he can get away with, just like Datsyuk (and he only didn't this time because Veleno knows Seiders tendencies from playing in GR). You rarely see him get burnt despite the chances he takes and I think that speaks to his decision making. When his opposition changes he has shown he is able to adapt quite well. In the WJC last year Seider wasn't nearly as aggressive when he is against different skill sets and playing styles, but he was just as effective.

The guy has dominated 3 different mens leagues and a WJC in 3 seasons, he has elite decision making and adaptability. Yeah he plays aggressively in the SHL I am confident on smaller ice he will adapt to a more appropriate decision making style that works with his skill set.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad