Speculation: Evander Kane not counting against the cap?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Could San Jose be looking to do something with this space, or is the plan to leave it available for Kane to come back?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Can't imagine the Sharks will do anything with the cap space unless it's 100% known what the impact will be both short and long term on the cap. At this point no one seems to really have an answer for how this will play out other than he wont count against the cap for the time being.

Also don't see them making a big splash in the short term given the amount of youth they are projecting to start the year with

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Could San Jose be looking to do something with this space, or is the plan to leave it available for Kane to come back?

Other than an all-in trade that will weaken their (hopefully) new-found depth and prospect pool, I'm not sure what they can do that affects this year.

I did run a projection of how they might look going forward for the next few years without Kane - resigning Hertl and Meier ($8M apiece) were the centerpieces (yes, tons and tons of assumptions, don't quibble), but essentially losing the Kane cap hit allows the Sharks to stay cap-compliant while keeping core players (no one on a big contract is traded or bought out except Vlasic in 24) and resigning impending rfas. Essentially, losing Kane's cap hit is a big boon to their financial situation, as long as they can incorporate prospects who perform (losing Kane's performance does hurt a lot and he has been worth his cap hit in purely on-ice terms).

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Last time I can recall cap hit being removed was Schmidt's 20 game suspension due to breaking league protocol for performance enhancing drugs. Not sure if there is any other precedent.

Reactions: Fatass

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Since when does a player under investigation by the league come off a teams salary cap?

Kings didn't get cap relief last time one of their guys was under league investigation. Was there a change?

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Since when does a player under investigation by the league come off a teams salary cap?

Kings didn't get cap relief last time one of their guys was under league investigation. Was there a change?
Different CBAs so it is possible

It makes sense however - if Evander cannot be with the team at this time then his salary should be treated as such

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
Tampa's ears perked up at another opportunity to get a prime guy who will be on the team but not count against the cap.

Im hearing that Leo Komarov now identifies as a non vaxed gender neutral north Korean person. His salary should come off the cap too.

Reactions: duckpuck

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do the teams benefit when their employees choose to f*** up? Is he even suspended right now?

Not that it makes an ounce of difference, but the concept just seems baffling to me.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Why do the teams benefit when their employees choose to f*** up? Is he even suspended right now?

Not that it makes an ounce of difference, but the concept just seems baffling to me.
Flip it around. Why should a team be forced to carry dead weight because a player they signed a while ago is responding a certain way to a new situation?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

We are still at the stage of investigation - innocent until proven guilty.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Kings eventually did get cap relief, but not at first.

Some months into the situation the NHL and PA agreed that Voynov could be treated as LTIR.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I don't get it, Hamonic signs a two year deal with the Canucks. Breaches his contract and no shows for camp. The Canucks get stuck with his cap. While this douche gets his contract cleared completely? I don't get it. Good for San Jose, but the NHL needs to do a better job at erasing the no shows and jerks salaries who breach their contract, or the ones who pull illegal conduct on or off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad