Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The takes in here are comedy by some tbh. Talking about consistency lmao.

As I've said a million times most of these posts don't even recognize what they are watching, or don't comprehend the concept of defense and strengths. . There is an extreme bias taking place here

Basically breaks down to he has to play a perfect game to get a semblance of credit. The lack understanding how defense works also skews these terrible opinions we see

The loss against LA was a prime example. He coasts into a corner 50x that game making a nice chip to his dman, or making a nice reverse or headman. . Then 1 play happens that was McLovins fault, and suddenly he has "consistency and defensive" issues.
He pinches 10x successful plays, and 1 gets by suddenly he has "consistency" issues

Do you know what you're even watching at this point? The notion he has to play a perfect game is ludicrous

Oilers fans basically pine to have prime Brent Burns cuz they follow the stats and think they know about hockey. Suddenly prime Burns becomes an Oiler and they would run him outta town cuz they would be hyper focused on the poor plays That are a by product of the brilliant chances he takes

To see anyone suggest Bouchard and consistency in the same breath is pure laughable. The constancy is in the 40x he skates into a corner, shields a puck and chips to a safe spot. The consistency is in the 15 shots a game he directs at the net.

By no means, shape or form is the "consistency" in the one or two giveaways that may happen throughout a game. Holding him to perfection is just plain stupid, and unrealistic

If he is held pointless, he's judged by 2 poor plays in an entire game of dozens. There is zero objectivity in this thread for the most part
Agreed. And Same exact argument can be used for Skinner and those that hyper focus on bad goals that aren’t even bad goals.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Agreed. And Same exact argument can be used for Skinner and those that hyper focus on bad goals that aren’t even bad goals.
More than a few posters in the GDT were posting why Skinner went behind the net to play the puck and then that bad bounce of the stanchion

When I have repeatedly mentioned that alot of these posts are b/c ppl have no idea what they are watching...this is a prime example

It takes less effort to post than it does to take time to understand and learn.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
More than a few posters in the GDT were posting why Skinner went behind the net to play the puck and then that bad bounce of the stanchion

When I have repeatedly mentioned that alot of these posts are b/c ppl have no idea what they are watching...this is a prime example

“A lot of posters”
Said posters may take an opportunity to watch what goalies do. Or god forbid, what actual real NHL goalies, coaches say.
Too funny

Reactions: TheNumber4

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Anyone who disagrees with you needs to learn what they are talking about?

What a pillow fort you have constructed.

LA was likely the easiest opponent for the Oilers and they dismantled them.

Bouchard has played two strong complete games in a row and played a big part in the elimination of the Kings, I'm proud of what he has accomplished, now he has to build off of that.

The same can be said about Skinner.

These players needed to improve and they have. Now they need to maintain consistency if the Oilers are to keep advancing then ultimately win a cup. And that's what it's all about.

A little constructive criticism goes a long ways. Bouchard and Skinner weren't about to improve with a steady stream of smoke being blown up their asses.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bobbythebrain

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I still can't figure out what the point of any of this is. I think you're Nucks fan cosplaying on the Oilers board. Your nonsense is getting old.
1. Why are you attacking literally everything I post/say. It’s immature
2. You are flat out wrong about Bouchard vs Hedman

Let's look at this specific angle from the past two seasons:
(around 600 players were surveyed. They try to survey 40-50% different players each year)
  • 11% of players say Hedman is the best defenceman. (#2 behind Makar)
  • 3.85 % of players voted Hedman the player they would least like to play against but would want on their team.
  • 10.5 % chose Hedman as the defenceman they would pick if they had to win one game (#2 behind Makar)
  • 20.32 % of players voted Hedman the hardest to play against in their own zone (Hedman takes #1 spot)
  • 8.97% voted Hedman the best breakout passer.
Bouchard didn't make the list.

You are right that Bouchard’s day will come. I like him. He’s a great defenceman, but what’s wrong with criticizing a player?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

(around 600 players were surveyed. They try to survey 40-50% different players each year)
  • 3.85 % of players voted Hedman the player they would least like to play against but would want on their team.
  • 10.5 % chose Hedman as the defenceman they would pick if they had to win one game (#2 behind Makar)
  • 20.32 % of players voted Hedman the hardest to play against in their own zone (Hedman takes #1 spot)

You are right that Bouchard’s day will come. I like him. He’s a great defenceman, but what’s wrong with criticizing a player?
Bouchard is going to have his time but he isnt at Hedmans level just yet.
Hopefully that comes (if it does in fact happen) after he signs his next contract.

Right now though there is no way IMO that you can put Bouchard ahead of Ekholm when it comes to rating an overall Dman.

Ekholm is the best dman on this team....not Bouchard.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hopefully that comes (if it does in fact happen) after he signs his next contract.

Right now though there is no way IMO that you can put Bouchard ahead of Ekholm when it comes to rating an overall Dman.

I don't even get the comparison.

Hedman while not a guy to go run around hitting guys is sneaky physical like Pronger. He'll make you pay physically in other ways than just bone crushing hits. Hedman is also PK contributor. The only thing the two have in common is offense.

I'll be floored if Bouchard ends up contributing in all the ways that Hedman does.

Reactions: alanschu

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't even get the comparison.

Hedman while not a guy to go run around hitting guys is sneaky physical like Pronger. He'll make you pay physically in other ways than just bone crushing hits. Hedman is also PK contributor. The only thing the two have in common is offense.

I'll be floored if Bouchard ends up contributing in all the ways that Hedman does.
Good point. :nod:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Anyone who disagrees with you needs to learn what they are talking about?

What a pillow fort you have constructed.

LA was likely the easiest opponent for the Oilers and they dismantled them.

Bouchard has played two strong complete games in a row and played a big part in the elimination of the Kings, I'm proud of what he has accomplished, now he has to build off of that.

The same can be said about Skinner.

These players needed to improve and they have. Now they need to maintain consistency if the Oilers are to keep advancing then ultimately win a cup. And that's what it's all about.

A little constructive criticism goes a long ways. Bouchard and Skinner weren't about to improve with a steady stream of smoke being blown up their asses.

These are all strange comments in light of the first round.

LA an easy opponent? Wtf. As a "trap" team that is extremely physical on paper this is a bad match up and between travel and brutal checking I think "easy" is ridiculous. They are a far better team with a solid +41 goal differential which is on par with teams like the Bruins/Leafs. It's not Edmonton played Washington or NYI.

All teams that are universally considered better (in certain metrics like goal differential) than say...

Tampa Bay. Who best defenseman is Hedman, who has been eliminated from the playoffs despite his prowess.

Comparing Skinner and Bouchard to Vas and Hedman... In the current context is really strange. At their peak these two obviously are better than either Players have shown to date... but those players are no longer at their peak. There is a very good easy argument that both Skinner and Bouchard are currently better than the TB crew.

And if someone foolishly says McDavid duh... or even McDrai... Kutch, Stamkos, Point...

My point hopefully obvious. People are making excuses, deflecting, and just not realizing how consistently amazing Bouchard currently is in comparison to players that frankly are over hyped for past performances.

For this first round I would put Bouchard ahead of Hedman and Ekholm and I am a big fan of both.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

LA an easy opponent? Wtf. As a "trap" team that is extremely physical on paper this is a bad match up and between travel and brutal checking I think "easy" is ridiculous. They are a far better team with a solid +41 goal differential which is on par with teams like the Bruins/Leafs.

All teams that are universally considered better (in certain metrics like gial differential) than say...

Tampa Bay. Who best defenseman is Hedman, who has been eliminated from the playoffs despite his prowess.

Comparing Skinner and Bouchard to Vas and Hedman... In the current context is really strange. At their peak these two obviously are better than either Pilers have shown to date... but those players are no longer at their peak. There is a very good easy argument that both Skinner and Bouchard are currently better than the TB crew.

And if someone foolishly says McDavid duh... or even McDrai... Kutch, Stamkos, Point...

My point hopefully obvious. People are making excuses, deflecting, and just not realizing how consistently amazing Bouchard currently is in comparison to players that frankly are over hyped for past performances.

For this first round I would put Bouchard ahead of Hedman and Ekholm and I am a big fan of both.
I didnt make the Hedman comparison.
I simply responded to it.

I also have never compared Skinner to Vas.

Lastly...a 5 game playoff series is a good start but its hardly definitive.
Here's hoping that Boucahrd can continue to build on that for the rest of the playoffs and next season as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Let's not lose the forest through the trees.

Certainly not getting into specifics with my points. Very generic.

My apologies if anyone thinks I am misquoting them.

IMO people are sleeping on how amazing Bouchard consistently is. Vas Skinner is just another easy comparison with TB being ousted already.

Even McDavid in comparison to Kutch can be used as part of my point... Although I doubt many people are saying Kutch is better than McDavid despite outscoring him this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Let's not lose the forest through the trees.

Certainly not getting into specifics with my points. Very generic.

My apologies if anyone thinks I am misquoting them.

IMO people are sleeping on how amazing Bouchard consistently is. Vas Skinner is just another easy comparison with TB being ousted already.

Even McDavid in comparison to Kutch can be used as part of my point... Although I doubt many people are saying Kutch is better than McDavid despite outscoring him this year.
I cant speak for anyone else but I am not sleeping on anything.
I like Bouchard. I think that he has the potential to be a serious Norris candidate in time.
I am simply not overreacting to his fine offensive season or to a small playoff sample size.
If your mind is made up thats fine...I need to see more.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I cant speak for anyone else but I am not sleeping on anything.
I like Bouchard. I think that he has the potential to be a serious Norris candidate in time.
I am simply not overreacting to his fine offensive season or to a small playoff sample size.
I need to see more.
Zzzzzzzzz....

Am I guarenting anything no. But as a very conservative person the above statement reads as, "despite an amazing season and even better first round at age 24 that is clearly superior to some other previous Norris level defensmen... I am going hit the snooze button until its even clearer how amazing this player is".

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

LA an easy opponent? Wtf. As a "trap" team that is extremely physical on paper this is a bad match up and between travel and brutal checking I think "easy" is ridiculous. They are a far better team with a solid +41 goal differential which is on par with teams like the Bruins/Leafs. It's not Edmonton played Washington or NYI.

All teams that are universally considered better (in certain metrics like goal differential) than say...

Comparing Skinner and Bouchard to Vas and Hedman... In the current context is really strange. At their peak these two obviously are better than either Players have shown to date... but those players are no longer at their peak. There is a very good easy argument that both Skinner and Bouchard are currently better than the TB crew.

Exactly who would you have prefered matched up against the Edmonton Oilers in the first round if not the LA Kings?

It was a great series and we saw significant growth from the team overall, playing a patient mature game overcoming many of the weaknesses we were witness to last postseason... specifically from two young players who made significant gains, Bouchard and Skinner. You might add Holloway to the list as he has shown signs of becoming a difference maker. The bottom six will certainly need it in the upcoming rounds.

The goal is having Skinner and Bouchard becoming perennial consistent players during the playoffs like Vasilevskiy and Hedman. Both have many years of proving themselves over and over again until they reach that pinnacle. So what exactly is your beef?

Do not be so determined to make something out of nothing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You dont really think that Bouchard is a better all around dman that Hedman...do you?

I mean I really like Bouchard and I can see him becoming good enough to win a Norris at some point but he isnt there yet.
He is a better all around D than Hedman.

This isn’t Hedman at his peak anymore, it’s clear that people in this thread are still going off his name value.

Bouchard had a better season and playoffs than Hedman

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

This isn’t Hedman at his peak anymore, it’s clear that people in this thread are still going off his name value.

I'd take Hedman on my team over any current defenseman in the league. The player is a superstud in every aspect of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Are you saying Bouchard can babysit Tampa defense? Cause that's what Hedman has been doing for years.

Take out Ekholm, Bouchard would be sinking

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thanks for sharing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Lastly...a 5 game playoff series is a good start but its hardly definitive.
Here's hoping that Boucahrd can continue to build on that for the rest of the playoffs and next season as well.
A 80 game season is a better sample size on who played better this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bouch has definitely taken steps forward this season. We will see how far players like Bouch, McLeod, Desharnais and Skinner have improved when we face teams with better offensive firepower and speed.

Reactions: guymez

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Ekholm has honestly been so good. I'd take him over Hedman.

Because of Heddy's offence and reach idk who is actually better, but current day for this Oilers team I'd take Mattias Ekholm.

What a player he has been. He is an absolute UNIT out there! Completely surpassing expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad