Value of: Evan Bouchard to Ott

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Understand he would probably cost something we could not give up.
Just wondering what it would cost Ottawa, he would fit in perfect with our rebuild.

To Ott-Bouchard, Neal, Turris

To Edm- Dadonov or Brown or Paul

Just wondering if the cap space and a top 6 winger/center would move the needle

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Not for Dadonov. I think Oilers want cap space instead of a meh player.

So Neal + Kassian with Bouchard for Paul might just work if Oilers have a goalie target in mind.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Ottawa won’t take Neal. If they want to take on $10m+ in salary just to get a good RD they may as well just massively overpay one in UFA.

Kassian - sure - but that probably doesn’t move the needle for Edmonton.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Ottawa won’t take Neal. If they want to take on $10m+ in salary just to get a good RD they may as well just massively overpay one in UFA.

Correct. The only two RD worth the overpay this summer are Hamilton and Barrie. It's slim pickings and those D will want 6-7 year deals. FYI Bouchard doesn't need Expansion protection.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I can't see Edmonton trading away Bouchard when he's expansion protected, young, and has looked pretty good when he's played. I think they just sit on Neal at this point, no point packaging a young promising player to get rid of his contract.

Reactions: wilfred

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Has Bouchard fallen out of favour in Edmonton? Seems like a light return for Bouchard.

No.... it's about dumping 3 years (almost $10M/yr) of two players. I like Bouchard but we have too many D already and I think we re-sign Barrie which means the right side will be full for a while.

Reactions: BHD and LeafChief

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No.... it's about dumping 3 years (almost $10M/yr) of two players. I like Bouchard but we have too many D already and I think we re-sign Barrie which means the right side will be full for a while.

So? That doesn't mean you waste him as a sweetener in a trade for a 3rd liner.
Buy out Neal, there's your cap space. They have cap space without buying out Neal. No need to make a silly, desperate trade of a premium asset just to rid of a 2 year contract.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Lol this is the type of nonsense people bring up when they say things like an early 3rd is practically a 2nd or a late 2nd is basically a 3rd.

Turris is of little consequence and can have all but a couple hundred k be buried so there's no huge relief there.

Getting rid of Neal is great but it's being immediately replaced by Dadonov who's an upgrade on Neal but Edmonton should pass on that contract.

In what world do they have too many defensemen? Bouchard is currently on the sidelines but as far as righties in the system goes the system is pretty barren with a couple interesting long shot prospects.

On top of that Barrie and Larsson are both free agents. So I seriously don't understand how or why you've come to the conclusion that the Oilers have too many defensemen and should move Bouchard let alone for this mediocre return.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lol this is the type of nonsense people bring up when they say things like an early 3rd is practically a 2nd or a late 2nd is basically a 3rd.

Turris is of little consequence and can have all but a couple hundred k be buried so there's no huge relief there.

Getting rid of Neal is great but it's being immediately replaced by Dadonov who's an upgrade on Neal but Edmonton should pass on that contract.

In what world do they have too many defensemen? Bouchard is currently on the sidelines but as far as righties in the system goes the system is pretty barren with a couple interesting long shot prospects.

On top of that Barrie and Larsson are both free agents. So I seriously don't understand how or why you've come to the conclusion that the Oilers have too many defensemen and should move Bouchard let alone for this mediocre return.

I said nothing about Turris. I sent Kassian and Neal over to the Sens. This summer I'm sure there will be Schmidt like deals. I think with $33+M in cap space we can upgrade multiple positions.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To Ottawa: Bouchard, Neal, Koskinen

To Edmonton: 2021 2nd, SJ's 2021 2nd, Anisimov, Dzingel

Ottawa add Bouchard to their long term core without giving up any premium assets except cap space which they have in abundance

Edmonton clear just over 10 million in cap space next season, and pick up a couple of 2nd rd picks

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick

I would much rather pay Bouchard 5.6m(neal 4675000+Bouchard 925000) for 2 years than over pay a 30year old free agent who doesn't fit long term.
I certainly understand why Edm would not. But if it was the difference between resigning Barrie or hopkins it might be worth it

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Correct. The only two RD worth the overpay this summer are Hamilton and Barrie. It's slim pickings and those D will want 6-7 year deals. FYI Bouchard doesn't need Expansion protection.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ottawa’s best RD currently is Zaitsev, who is currently better than Bouchard. I’m sure there is someone on that list better than both Zaitsev and Bouchard who would accept a deal at 2 x $6.5m.

Done. For the next 2 seasons Ottawa has a better team than they would by spending that same money on Bouchard and Neal.

I’m not advocating that they do this - just demonstrating that there are better ways to burn money than taking on James Neal.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Ottawa’s best RD currently is Zaitsev, who is currently better than Bouchard. I’m sure there is someone on that list better than both Zaitsev and Bouchard who would accept a deal at 2 x $6.5m.

Done. For the next 2 seasons Ottawa has a better team than they would by spending that same money on Bouchard and Neal.

I’m not advocating that they do this - just demonstrating that there are better ways to burn money than taking on James Neal.
So you would rather pay Savard(for instance) 2 years at 6.5m then pay Neal and Bouchard the same amount. After 2 years you have nothing or a 23 year old Bouchard. hmmmm I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

And i didn't even mention buying him out which is even a better deal.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Understand he would probably cost something we could not give up.
Just wondering what it would cost Ottawa, he would fit in perfect with our rebuild.

To Ott-Bouchard, Neal, Turris

To Edm- Dadonov or Brown or Paul

Just wondering if the cap space and a top 6 winger/center would move the needle
Ottawa has Branstrom an offensive puck mover on the right side, along with 2018 first round pick Bernard-Docker. On the left, they have big minute munchers in Chabot and Sanderson. In fact, Bernard-Docker and Sanderson are both playing for North Dakota in the NCAA.

Bouchard brings the big point shot on the PP, but the Sens have Dmen in their system.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Ottawa has Branstrom an offensive puck mover on the right side, along with 2018 first round pick Bernard-Docker. On the left, they have big minute munchers in Chabot and Sanderson. In fact, Bernard-Docker and Sanderson are both playing for North Dakota in the NCAA.

Bouchard brings the big point shot on the PP, but the Sens have Dmen in their system.
Brannstom has only played the left side in ottawa, chabot and Sanderson are both left as well. docker is on the right behind him is pretty slim

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Also edm needs fast physical forwards with scoring touch correct. Blues have a few.

Not really. We have Holloway who might turn pro soon and scoring isn’t a huge concern now. JP is our big fast physical forward who can score a little. Yams is awesome and we’d love more like him even though he’s like 5’8”

The true need is a long term elite goalie and a shutdown 3C to jettison Turris to the moon. A Kesler type... I’d settle with signing Lowry in the off-season though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad