Evan Bouchard heating up.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Owns a wicked shot and gets it on net. Seems to be improving his overall game after a poor start this season. Great addition to any team.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I've only caught a few Oilers games lately, but he hasn't looked nearly as horse poop defensively as he did before. Not sure what changed, but it's been noticeable.
Looks like the Knob has stopped the defence from pinching as much as they used to, forcing them to have a modicum of defensive transition. Getting burned far less when the puck goes the other way

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Help me understand... saying Bouchard has a harder shot than Hughes means the Oil fans think he's Bobby Orr?
Just say you can't read.
Where in hell do you see anyone claiming that Bouchard has a harder shot in that post?

He said,

Bouchard unequivocally has a better shot and better long bomb passes than Hughes. Bouchard is also a better powerplay defenseman too.

Many ways to find out the difference between Harder and better.

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Unfortunately oilers fans havent watched a true #1 elite defender play on their team so i dont blame them if they dont know what one looks like. Bouchard is like a better version of OEL in terms of offense
#7 Paul Coffey & #44 Chris Pronger : 2 HHoF Defensemen who played on the Oilers in most of our lifetimes (yes we have watched them). Coffey easily in the top10 all time, Pronger top25 all time

Which is the true #1 elite defender you've you watched on your team? :popcorn:

Why are you talking about 20 years ago? Am talking about the present and the past 5 or 6 years lol. You guys have forgotten what a #1D looks like. Its been a long time since pronger
Nice walk-back. I guess you got "us guys", how embarrassing for us to face such zingers :facepalm:

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
he true #1 elite defender you've you watched on your team
1702916671802.png

That is the Nuck's list. No way 'us guys' have seen anything this good!

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Said it before the season, but his bridge deal is going to bite Edmonton in the ass in the long term. Contract negotiations for defensemen are largely based off of points and minutes, and as long as he's running Edmonton's power play, he's going to stack points night in and night out.

If he's around a PPG defensemen for the next two years, he's going to be able to command 10 million when his contract's up, and Edmonton won't really be able to argue with it.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Said it before the season, but his bridge deal is going to bite Edmonton in the ass in the long term. Contract negotiations for defensemen are largely based off of points and minutes, and as long as he's running Edmonton's power play, he's going to stack points night in and night out.

If he's around a PPG defensemen for the next two years, he's going to be able to command 10 million when his contract's up, and Edmonton won't really be able to argue with it.
Not necessarily, Tyson Barrie is a good example where points don’t lead to a big contract. The bigger issue is that Edmonton won’t be able to afford to lose him regardless of his defensive downsides, they don’t have any up and coming replacements. Edmonton needs him more than he needs Edmonton, so unless he takes a discount it is going to hurt

Reactions: Porkleaker

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Does bouchard even quarterback it?
At least one poster is paying attention. Your suspicion is correct. McDavid is the PPQB.

Other misconceptions in this thread are that Bouchard is only a big shot. That is likely because people count SportsCentre as their game analysis. He can also pass the puck at a very high level, move the puck up ice quite well, and even create space while under pressure from the blueline. He'll also make effective pinches when the situation calls for it.

Then you get the jokers talking about "elite defenders" in response to posts about the powerplay. I mean, sure, put a prime Vlasic on your powerplay if you really want to, but you're not gonna' have a good time.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
He was quite the interesting pick in 2018. Late birthday, high offensive upside but not an explosive skater for his size and not great defensively. It looks like he leaned into his strengths; patience with the puck, stretch passes, dual threat shooter, and one hell of an eye to get shots through lanes. Something that Seth Jones could learn a thing or two from lol. Not to mention he's consistently decent defensively now

I'm a believer that certain players thrive even more in environments with other established elite players (McDavid, Draisaitl), but it's not to say he hasn't come into his own and held himself there. Not to mention his partner is the perfect compliment. That was the best move Holland has made to date bringing in Ekholm

Aaaaand Holland went with Zadina in that draft which in hindsight became a sad pick. Kenny gets the last laugh after all here lol

I've come to quite like Bouchard as a player

Reactions: Oak

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
He was quite the interesting pick in 2018. Late birthday, high offensive upside but not an explosive skater for his size and not great defensively. It looks like he leaned into his strengths; patience with the puck, stretch passes, dual threat shooter, and one hell of an eye to get shots through lanes. Something that Seth Jones could learn a thing or two from lol. Not to mention he's consistently decent defensively now

I'm a believer that certain players thrive even more in environments with other established elite players (McDavid, Draisaitl), but it's not to say he hasn't come into his own and held himself there. Not to mention his partner is the perfect compliment. That was the best move Holland has made to date bringing in Ekholm

Aaaaand Holland went with Zadina in that draft which in hindsight became a sad pick. Kenny gets the last laugh after all here lol

I've come to quite like Bouchard as a player
I'll never forgive him for whiffing that pick.

At least Bouchard ended up on my other favourite team.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
His 46 points in 40 playoff games is the highest amongst all active D (with min 30 games played). Higher than Makar
Still take Makar lol. Maybe Hughes too if he repeats his past season (not knocking Hughes, but we’ve seen players blow up for one year)

He’s very great, I was defending Bouchard when he was getting trashed early season but look who he plays with. I love MacKinnon but McDrai are decidedly better playoff performers than him or the Canucks top scorers.

I’d love to see those guys skating with McDrai because that’s the biggest advantage they have over Bouch, he’s got the vision and shot (and better health in fairness is a real knock on the other two) but their skating is a real edge. Healthy Makar and Hughes have shown can take over a game possession-wise when their best players aren’t on the ice in a way/on a level haven’t consistently seen from Bouchard (yet)

can’t un-imagine them endless circling the offensive zone with McDavid waiting for the chance to open up lol.

That said I’m genuinely very excited to see the contract. I know the Ceci-Nurse pair has been trashed but presumably most of that is Ceci yes? Any interpretations of Nurse himself this post season? I’m just curious how that plays out

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad