Europeans who had a physical style in NHL

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sami Helenius. Monster. Jere Karalahti was amazing at it too.

Some more names that comes to mind:

Ville Nieminen
Tuomo Ruutu
Ossi Vännanen
Lasse Kukkonen
Toni Lydman
Sean Bergenheim
Hannes Hyvönen

And, ofc, mr.Pillu. Antti Philström! But he stopped with hitting several years ago for some reason. But when he played in NHL and the 2-3 seasons after he was really physical.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yes but i only brought up players that are not active anymore.

If we look at active players i would say Landeskog, Hörnqvist, Fast, Eriksson Ek and Sundqvist is physical players among swedish forwards. When it comes to d i would say Hägg, Adam Larsson and Edler.

Oops my mistake. I guess I just don't miss a chance to bring up my favorite player on HoH haha

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

edler isn't an unphysical player, but for a long time i was disappointed in him in the physicality department. he came in with so much promise as this phaneuf-like (in a good way—remember this was 2008) open ice hitter. but he settled into much more of what we might call a traditional swedish defenceman temperament.

in some ways, ohlund was quite a bit kinder than he could have been too, but he was still way more of an imposing physical guy than edler was.

this is still one of my favourite hits of all time —

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Ulanov for the Oil.

i remember back in the '92 season the jets got three guys midseason, ulanov, davydov, and tkachuk. at first i thought tkachuk was russian too, because of the ukrainean last name, and i was like, ulanov and tkachuk those guys don't seem like these cowardly russian guys don cherry is always complaining about.

that summer, the jets drafted another physical russian dman, sergei bautin, who i thought would be in the league a long time. big, strong, fast, and mean. kind of a less spectacular version of another guy i had my eye on at the time, mikhail tatarinov. that mike smith model UN team was a weird blend of styles: selanne, zhamnov, and davydov up front, plus speedy luciano borsato, who when fernando pisani happened i felt like was the reincarnation of borsato. ulanov and bautin, both good skaters for such big guys, on the back end, and tkachuk emerging as the leader. none of them had played 60 games in the NHL. and then midway through the year, also picking up tie domi, who also was in his first season as an everyday player.

but here's to all the physical soviet dmen with various degrees of offensive upside i enjoyed from that period: bautin, tatarinov, konstantinov, yushkevich, zhitnik when he put his mind to it. and also kaspar, though he had zero offensive upside. i kind of feel like danny markov, even though he came much later, was the last guy of that ilk.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
i remember back in the '92 season the jets got three guys midseason, ulanov, davydov, and tkachuk. at first i thought tkachuk was russian too, because of the ukrainean last name, and i was like, ulanov and tkachuk those guys don't seem like these cowardly russian guys don cherry is always complaining about.

that summer, the jets drafted another physical russian dman, sergei bautin, who i thought would be in the league a long time. big, strong, fast, and mean. kind of a less spectacular version of another guy i had my eye on at the time, mikhail tatarinov. that mike smith model UN team was a weird blend of styles: selanne, zhamnov, and davydov up front, plus speedy luciano borsato, who when fernando pisani happened i felt like was the reincarnation of borsato. ulanov and bautin, both good skaters for such big guys, on the back end, and tkachuk emerging as the leader. none of them had played 60 games in the NHL. and then midway through the year, also picking up tie domi, who also was in his first season as an everyday player.

but here's to all the physical soviet dmen with various degrees of offensive upside i enjoyed from that period: bautin, tatarinov, konstantinov, yushkevich, zhitnik when he put his mind to it. and also kaspar, though he had zero offensive upside. i kind of feel like danny markov, even though he came much later, was the last guy of that ilk.

I remember Boutin briefly being pretty strong. And I totally forgot about Zhitnik who was skilled enough to play any style. Solely at his own desire though at times as you say!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think holmstrom has been mentioned but he sort of reminded me of Ryan Smyth.

Alexei Emelin was very physical as well, and Romanov is like a mobile form of him today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad