Europeans who had a physical style in NHL

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Europeans are not known for their physical style. What are some europeans that had a physical style in NHL?

Im talking about giving out pain. Hitting. Physical with the stick etc. Im not refering to fighters or players who took beatings.

Swedes with physical style:

Mattias Öhlund
Ulf Samuelsson
Niklas Kronwall
Mattias Norström
Börje Samling
Thommie Bergman
Marcus Ragnarsson
Mats Thelin
Thomas Eriksson
Douglas Murray
Nicklas Wallin
Andreas Lilja
Jonathan Ericssson
Nicklas Grossman

Tomas Sandström
Thomas Steen
Tomas Holmström
Peter Forsberg
Samuel Påhlsson
Anders Kallur
Mats Hallin
Johan Garpenlöv
Marcus Nilson
Nils Ekman
Mikael Samuelsson
Fredrik Sjöström
Matthias Tjärnqvist
Joel Lundqvist

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Danil Markov and Vladimir Malakhov. The latter was a lot bigger and had more fights but Markov had no issue being physical.

Volchenkov also. Good physical player. Blocked tons of shots. Threw his body around.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Evgeny Artukhin and Alexander Svitov were physical non-goon forwards.

Konstantinov, Ulanov, and Zhitnik were physical non-goon dmen. Volchenkov, Kalinin, and Emelin were physical later guys. Orlov and Zadorov are physical guys nowadays.

Danil Markov and Vladimir Malakhov. The latter was a lot bigger and had more fights but Markov had no issue being physical.

Volchenkov also. Good physical player. Blocked tons of shots. Threw his body around.

after vlady, yushkevich was my fav physical russian d

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Tikkanen, Jarkko Ruutu, Gudas and Chara fit the description. All physical players.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Speaking as a completely unbiased non-Wings fan, Kronwall was one of the best all-round hitters Ive ever seen. Particularly his ability to time huge open-ice hits, which became orders of magnitude more strictly policed over the course of his career, was unmatched.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
That Europeans aren’t physical is an ignorant old stereotype that can hardly be taken seriously by anyone who watches hockey today. I don’t know when ever it was true unless you’re only counting fighters — not that there haven’t been European goons as well — but I guess they looked at Näslund and Loob and forgot about Salming and Tikkanen.

At any rate, have a look at the league leaders in hits over the last five years and you’ll soon find it absolutely futile to try and identify each and every physical European, because all kinds of players are developed anywhere nowadays.

European top 10 finishes in Hits since 2015-16:

Gudas, Czech Republic: 1-4-4-10
Zadorov, Russia: 1-7
Hakanpää, Finland: 3
Polak, Czech Republic: 3
Ristolainen, Finland: 4-8
Komarov, Finland: 5
Larsson, Sweden: 6-6-9-10
Hägg, Sweden: 8-8
Emelin, Russia: 9-9
Ovechkin, Russia: 10

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
That Europeans aren’t physical is an ignorant old stereotype that can hardly be taken seriously by anyone who watches hockey today.

Wonder if it is not even reversed, say a Russian D if we do not expect to be more physical/block shot than the average one now, I feel that at least outside hockey the stereotypical Russian men is more manly men that have a cigarette and a vodka with is breakfast and chop wood bare chested than the North American one of today at least.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Kronwall is interesting because while he was clearly one of the best open ice hitters, that’s where his physical game started and ended. He wasn’t a guy who was nasty in front of the net or in the corners or dirty with his stick. Still one of the last guys you’d ever want to get caught with your head down against though.

Konstantinov, on the other hand, was that SOB you didn’t want to go into corners with on top of the open ice hits.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
That Europeans aren’t physical is an ignorant old stereotype that can hardly be taken seriously by anyone who watches hockey today. I don’t know when ever it was true unless you’re only counting fighters — not that there haven’t been European goons as well — but I guess they looked at Näslund and Loob and forgot about Salming and Tikkanen.

At any rate, have a look at the league leaders in hits over the last five years and you’ll soon find it absolutely futile to try and identify each and every physical European, because all kinds of players are developed anywhere nowadays.

European top 10 finishes in Hits since 2015-16:

Gudas, Latvia: 1-4-4-10
Zadorov, Russia: 1-7
Hakanpää, Finland: 3
Polak, Czech Republic: 3
Ristolainen, Finland: 4-8
Komarov, Finland: 5
Larsson, Sweden: 6-6-9-10
Hägg, Sweden: 8-8
Emelin, Russia: 9-9
Ovechkin, Russia: 10
Gudas isn’t Latvian. He is from Prague

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Jere could still destroy people with a hit from a stand still. Open ice hits were huge too, those used be a thing.

Sami was an amazing hitter too.

Fair enough. To me if I can think of something other than “hitting” or “laying the lumber” when it comes to a player, I don’t think of them as physical. But it’s different sides of the same coin, I guess.

Reactions: mattihp

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Patric Hornqvist grinds for a living.

Yes but i only brought up players that are not active anymore.

If we look at active players i would say Landeskog, Hörnqvist, Fast, Eriksson Ek and Sundqvist is physical players among swedish forwards. When it comes to d i would say Hägg, Adam Larsson and Edler.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00