European Elite vs Major Pro (1975-76 and 1976-77)

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Even though it's hard to prove, I feel pretty sure that players like Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Petrov, Maltsev, Vasiliev, Tretiak, Balderis... [prime] Nedomansky, Suchy, Martinec, Hlinka, Holik, and probably Novy would have been stars in the NHL. I think Yakushev is often slightly overrated due to his showing in the Summit series, but his performances against Canadians would certainly indicate that he would have been "at home" in the NHL.

I think so too. Some of them might not have been, but then on the other hand there would probably be other players doing better than expected.

A way of looking at it... Create a complete team of the best players of the 1972 Summit Series. It would definitely contain Soviet players.
Or create a complete team of the best CSSR, Soviet and Canada players of the 1976 Canada Cup. It might have contained less then 50 % Canadians.

One thing that was harder back then for players from USSR and CSSR, was that they often didn't speak English, lived in a culturally quite different country, and played a different style of hockey. That might have made it more difficult for them to do well in the NHL of the 1970s and early 1980s, than it might be for today's players from USSR/CSSR (Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc). But I don't think the 1970s Europeans should be punished for that, because I think they should be judged simply based on how good hockey players they were.

We also shouldn't forget Shadrin, who was mentioned as a great defensive forward. And Pospisill.
I think Yakushin might be a bit underrated on this board. Anyway, I too think he might have found himself "at home" in the NHL.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Those Cold War exhibition games (and tournaments, of course) between the Soviets and NHL are pretty much the most competitive, hate-filled games I have ever watched. It was like watching WWIII on the ice.
Absolutely. But a lot of that hails from the political situation doesn't it? That extra fuel didn't really exist in Sweden.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Absolutely. But a lot of that hails from the political situation doesn't it? That extra fuel didn't really exist in Sweden.

A lot of Soviet era "heavy fuel" still ripe for an explosion pretty much anytime ya'll run up against the Finns' though; and I certainly remember a time when Sweden was none too enamored with the USSR.... The Danes can have an attitude...... Norway. Germany..... Your still OK with the Dutch, right?.

Missing anyone Der Kaiser?. :laugh:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Spot on. Going to post the data for 76-77 later and list the reinforcements.

Sorry, I actually meant the tour in 1977-78 (that you had already posted). Poldi Kladno played against some WHA teams in 1976, but I don't know much about that or other possible NA tours by Czechoslovak club teams.

Anyway, Pardubice had big reinforcements in Hlinka and Bubla (from Litvinov) in 1977/78. Kladno had borrowed the Stastny brothers Peter and Marian from Slovan Bratislava.

Maltsev 1 goal, 2 assists *all 3 points scored while playing with Kharlamov & Mikhailov*

Good catch! The game vs. The Bruins was their best showing and the best game of the Series IMO. Mikhailov's, Kharlamov's and Maltsev's passing plays are a true joy to watch [in the game]. On the other hand, their (i.e. the whole team) defensive play was downright awful at times (often it seems that they simply can't get the puck out of their zone unless they ice it).

It's interesting that while playing the first 2 games on the 3rd line, Maltsev doesn't score a point, but when replacing Petrov and playing on the top line in the game vs. the Bruins - boom - he gets 3 points right away. He was a great player (all-time top 5 TALENT among Soviets?), but I don't consider him to be quite the big game player like, say, Mikhailov was. But what if Maltsev had played on USSR's/CSKA's top line throughout his career?

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
We also shouldn't forget Shadrin, who was mentioned as a great defensive forward. And Pospisill.

Shadrin is an underrated one for sure. In the Moscow games, he was arguably the 2nd best Soviet forward in the 1972 series (after Yakushev). Playing on the same line, did Yakushev 'make' him or did he make Yakushev, that is the question! Well, it was probably 50-50. A good playmaker and a good defensive forward.

Pospisil wasn't as flashy or did not have as high a peak as Suchy, but he had a better overall career, so I have them pretty much equals, with maybe Suchy slightly higher on my list of European d-men (although I don't actually have any list :laugh:).

I probably forgot to mention some other players too (well, Anatoli Firsov for starters!).

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on CSKA @ Rangers (7-3)

1975, Dec.28: New York Rangers – CSKA Moskva 3-7
New York, Attendance: 17,500
Referee Yuri Karandin (Soviet Union), Linesmen Matt Pavelich (Canada) and John D'Amico (Canada)
Rangers: John Davidson; John Bednarski – Carol Vadnais, Doug Jarrett – Ron Greschner, Larry Sacharuk – Nick Beverley; Steve Vickers – Phil Esposito – Rod Gilbert, Walt Tkaczuk – Pete Stemkowski – Rick Middleton, Ed Johnstone – Jerry Holland – Bill Fairbairn, Wayne Dillon, Greg Polis. Coach: Ron Stewart.
CSKA: Vladislav Tretiak; Alexander Gusev – Valeri Vasiliev (Dinamo), Gennadi Tsygankov – Vladimir Lutchenko, Alexei Volchenkov – Viktor Kuzkin, Sergei Glazov; Valeri Kharlamov – Vladimir Petrov – Boris Mikhailov, Boris Alexandrov– Viktor Zhluktov – Vladimir Vikulov, Alexander Maltsev (Dinamo) – Vyacheslav Solodukhin (SKA) – Vladimir Popov, Alexander Volchkov, Viktor Kutergin.

First Period: 1-0 Vickers (ass. Esposito, Gilbert; 0:21), Pen Rangers (2 Jarrett; 2:46), 1-1 Alexandrov (ass. Petrov, Gusev; 4:04, PP), 1-2 Vikulov (ass. Zhluktov, Alexandrov; 5:19), Pen Rangers (2 Greschner; 7:20), Pen Rangers (2 Greschner; 10:13), Pen Rangers (2 Greschner, 18:16), 1-3 Kharlamov (ass. Vasiliev, Petrov; 19:42, PP). Shots: Rangers 10, CSKA 12.
Second Period: 1-4 Petrov (ass. Kharlamov, Mikhailov; 21:26), Pen CSKA (2 Popov; 27:34), Pen CSKA (2 Gusev; 28:46), 1-5 Vikulov (ass. Zhluktov, Alexandrov; 34:21), 1-6 Mikhailov (ass. Kharlamov, Gusev; 36:54), Pen Rangers (2 Johnstone; 39:11). Shots: Rangers 14, CSKA 9.
Third Period: Pen CSKA (2 Vasiliev; 40:38), Pen Rangers (2 Esposito; 41:40), 1-7 Petrov (ass. Mikhailov, Kharlamov; 43:16, PP), Pen Rangers (2 Fairburn; 48:04), Pen Rangers (2 Fairburn; 52:42), 2-7 Gilbert (ass. Esposito; 55:31), Pen CSKA (2 Volchkov; 56:04), 3-7 Esposito (ass. Vickers, Sacharuk; 57:46, PP), Pen Rangers (2 Polis, 5 Vadnais; 59:38). Shots: Rangers 17, CSKA 8.

Full Game on Youtube:
Link 1:
Link 2:

Associated Press: "New York took a 1-0 lead after 21 seconds...Then they got a lesson in hockey fundamentals and strategy... sending in two men to forecheck didn't work – the Russians just went to longer breakout passes, leaving the New York forwards in their tracks... The Rangers continually made one pass too many, once wasting a 72-second period when they had two extra skaters through penalties... The Rangers were suffocated by the close Soviet defense and trailed 7-1 before Rod Gilbert and Phil Esposito scored late in the game."

United Press International (Jack Saunders): "The Soviet Army hockey team came to the United States hoping to learn something in their games with National Hockey League teams. Sunday night, though, it were the New York Rangers who absorbed a lesson in how to play precision hockey."

Konstantin Loktev, CSKA coach: "We didn't expect to win so easily. We anticipated facing a very strong type of hockey...The Rangers looked very heavy (sluggish). If they'd waited, instead of going in with just one or two forwards, they'd have improved more...They have a weight problem. They have a carriage problem in skating. They're not as fast as we are. They must improve their conditioning."

Ron Stewart, Rangers coach:"They don't skate any faster than we do – they just go all the time. They have five men in motion at all times... They never give the puck to the man standing still. They move the puck better than we do... that referee was terrible. We did nothing to take four penalties to their none in the first period."

Rick Middleton, right wing:"They really move the puck and they really skate...we knew they won't retaliate when they get hit – so we tried to intimidate them a little bit."

Ron Greschner, defenseman: "They must not feel anything. If I got hit the way I was hitting them, I'd be crawling around the floor."

Phil Esposito, left wing: "I don't think they dominated us. They were shooting out blind from their zone and we were getting caught...We killed them on faceoffs and we outshot them, but they outdid us on the scoreboards and that, unfortunately, is all that matters."

John Davidson, goalkeeper: "They never shoot wide...they almost never just dumped the puck in our own zone and chased after it. They always carried it in."

Steve Vickers, left wing: "I don't think even if we played our best game we would have beaten them."

The Windsor Star - Google News Archive Search
Beaver County Times - Google News Archive Search
Eugene Register-Guard - Google News Archive Search

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on CSKA @ Canadiens (3-3)

1975, Dec.31: Canadiens de Montréal – CSKA Moskva 3-3

Montréal, Attendance: 18,975
Referee Wally Harris (Canada), Linesmen Claude Béchard (Canada) and Yuri Karandin (Soviet Union)

Canadiens: Ken Dryden; Guy Lapointe – John Van Boxmeer, Larry Robinson – Serge Savard, Pierre Bouchard – Don Awrey; Guy Lafleur – Doug Risebrough – Jim Roberts, Jacques Lemaire – Mario Tremblay – Yvon Lambert, Murray Wilson - Pete Mahovlich – Yvan Cournoyer, Doug Jarvis – Bob Gainey – Steve Shutt. Coach: Scotty Bowman.
CSKA: Vladislav Tretiak; Alexander Gusev – Valeri Vasiliev (Dinamo), Gennadi Tsygankov – Vladimir Lutchenko, Alexander Volchenkov – Viktor Kuzkin; Valeri Kharlamov – Vladimir Petrov – Boris Mikhailov, Boris Alexandrov – Viktor Zhluktov – Vladimir Vikulov, Alexander Maltsev (Dinamo) – Vyacheslav Solodukhin (SKA) – Vladimir Popov.

First Period: Pen Canadiens (2 Wilson; 0:38), 1-0 Shutt (ass. Mahovlich; 3:16), Pen CSKA (2 Vasiliev; 4:43), 2-0 Lambert (ass. Risebrough, Savard; 7:25), Pen Canadiens (2 Cournoyer; 16:33), Pen CSKA (2 Zhluktov; 19:45). Shots: Canadiens 11, CSKA 4.
Second Period: 2-1 Mikhailov (ass. Vasiliev; 23:54), Pen CSKA (2 Solodukhin; 27:38), Pen CSKA (2 Gusev; 28:23), 3-1 Cournoyer (ass. Lafleur, Lemaire; 29:39, PP), Pen Canadiens (2 Savard; 29:52), 3-2 Kharlamov (ass. Petrov, Mikhailov; 36:21). Shots: Canadiens 11, CSKA 3.
Third Period: Pen CSKA (2 Vasiliev; 40:27), 3-3 Alexandrov (ass. Zhluktov, Tsygankov; 44:04). Shots: Canadiens 16, CSKA 6.

Full Game on YouTube:
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:

Al Strachan, Montreal Gazette: „The Russians still have a long way to go before they can match the National Hockey League's top teams...the Canadiens played a magnificent game, pressured the Russians into shoddy passing; they skated circles around them and, with a little more luck for them or a little less for Tretiak, would have come away with a one-sided win.“

Dink Carroll, Montreal Gazette: „The Russians...are so offence-minded that their defencemen are almost as much a part of the offence as their forwards. As long as they can control the puck with their shots and accurate passes, they haven't been hurt by their defensive weakness. Credit the Canadiens with having the intelligence to study the Russians' system intensively and discovering a way to nullify its effectiveness... Stop the Russian attacks before they get started. Forecheck them and make them play the game in their own end of the rink. That's where their defensive weaknesses can be exploited. They will make mistakes back there that we can capitalize on. If they do break out, give them room along the boards but pack the middle in front of the net because they won't shoot unless they can get a man open in the slot... Central Army is a good hockey team and dangerous right to the end, but the Canadiens were a better team on this particular night... it was the best game that will be played in the Forum this season and maybe the best that has been played there since Toe Blake coached teams that won the Stanley cup five years in a row... only a team as good as the Russians can bring out the best in the Canadiens... All goaltenders have their good games and the best of them have an occasional bad one. This was a bad one for Dryden and a good one for Tretiak...“.

Jim Coleman, Calgary Herald: „The performance of the Montreal Canadiens...was, without question, the finest which has been given by an individual professional hockey team within the limits of my memory... the Montreal Canadiens demonstrated that one speedy, well conditioned NHL club...could outplay the Soviet's best by a very wide margin... Les Canadiens outskated the Soviets most of the way; they outshot them; they forechecked them effectively and they beat the Russians everywhere, except on the scoreboard... Goalie Vladislav Tretiak deserves selection to Hockey's Hall of Fame for holding Les Canadiens to less than eight goals... The Soviets...abandoned their infamous but every effective „interference-play“ after referee Wally Harris nailed them with a penalty...Harris detected Shluktov deliberately keeping a potential Canadien checker out of the play while Tsygankov was attempting to carry the puck along the right-wing boards.“

Konstantin Loktev, CSKA coach: „I'm very happy with the tie...This was not one of our best performances. Most of our problems came as a result of Montreal's style of play. Their checking was very effective, they played their positions well and they worked very hard. Montreal played a very fine game...Faceoffs are certainly something to which we have turn our attention. And we made far too many mistakes in our own end.“ On different customs: „By close checking, do you mean guarding a man and checking with your stick or do you mean crosschecking a man into the boards? We keep hearing accusations our players are guilty of spearing and hooking, but your rules seem to allow a lot of crosschecking up against the boards.“

Anatoli Firsov, CSKA assistant coach: „I didn't expect Montreal to play so strongly, even though we are well aware this is one of the best teams. They were moving very fast at all times and they were very sound on both offense and defense... You can't do some of the things they were doing all night. You can't get your stick up and take people into the boards. You can't check the forwards that closely when they haven't got the puck. If the officials prevent you from doing those things, we are talking about a different kind of game.“

Scotty Bowman, Canadiens coach: „I'm very, very disappointed with the result. We had them all bottled up and we haven't had more chances than this in any game this year...I don't think we learned anything from them but I think they learned something from us...They were outclassed for 60 minutes except for the goaltending... they're an offensive hockey club, and when their offence isn't working, they look bad.“

Ken Dryden, goaltender: „They're a very good offensive team, but they don't check very well. They don't forecheck at all and they're not that good in their own end.“

Steve Shutt, left wing: „We had fun out there...We outplayed them for 60 minutes...Everybody says they're good skaters, but we outskated them. There's no doubt about that. The reason they look like good skaters is that their forwards never come back to check. The'yre always at the blue line skating around in circles...They're a very good offensive team, but as soon as they don't have the puck, the wingers are stick-checking. They don't take the man out. You couldn't get away with that in our league.“

Guy Lapointe, defenseman: „I didn't learn a thing from them. It was an easy game...After their power plays, I wasn't even tired. That never happens with an NHL team...They showed me nothing. How many good scoring chances did they have? Four?...You can carry the puck against them and you keep it as long as you want. You never have to worry about getting hit. It our league, you're always worried about getting knocked off the puck. As soon as the Russians come close to you, they give a little poke with their stick, that's all...They can say a big big thank you to that guy in goal. Without him, it would have been a lot different on the scoreboard.“

Jimmy Roberts, defenseman: „They're overrated... They didn't show me a thing... A lot of NHL teams are better than them.“

Serge Savard, defenseman: „I'd like to see 12 teams instead of 30 [in major pro hockey]...Our hockey is diluted, but if we had a few teams as these guys do, you'd see hockey like this all the time.“

Bob Gainey, left wing: „They've got one very good line plus that Alexandrov and that's all. After that there's not much.“

Harry Sinden, Bruins GM, spectator: „The Russian goalie, Tretiak, is sensational, certainly as good if not better than anybody we've got in the NHL.“

The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search
The Calgary Herald - Google News Archive Search
The Argus-Press - Google News Archive Search
The Telegraph - Google News Archive Search

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on CSKA @ Bruins (5-2)

1976, Jan.8: Boston Bruins – CSKA Moskva 2-5

Boston, Attendance: 15,003
Referee Yuri Karandin (Soviet Union), Linesmen John D'Amico (Canada), Leon Stickle (Canada)

Bruins: Gilles Gilbert; Dallas Smith – Brad Park, Darryl Edestrand – Gary Doak, Al Sims; Don Marcotte – Jean Ratelle – Bobby Schmautz, Wayne Cashman – Gregg Sheppard – John Bucyk, Dave Forbes – André Savard – Terry O'Reilly, Hank Nowak – Ken Hodge – Doug Gibson. Coach: Don Cherry.
CSKA: Vladislav Tretiak; Alexander Gusev – Valeri Vasiliev (Dinamo), Gennadi Tsygankov – Vladimir Lutchenko, Alexei Volchenkov – Viktor Kuzkin; Valeri Kharlamov – Alexander Maltsev (Dinamo) – Boris Mikhailov, Boris Alexandrov – Viktor Zhluktov – Vladimir Vikulov, Alexander Lobanov – Viktor Kutergin – Vladimir Popov, Vyacheslav Solodukhin (SKA), Alexander Volchkov.

First Period: Pen Bruins (2 Smith; 16:03), Pen CSKA (2 Alexandrov; 17:20). Shots: Bruins 19; CSKA 8.
Second Period: 1-0 Forbes (22:54), Pen Bruins (2 Schmautz; 23:31), 1-1 Kharlamov (ass. Maltsev; 24:41, PP), 1-2 Kharlamov (ass. Maltsev; 31:00), Pen Bruins (2 Cashman; 31:00), 1-3 Maltsev (ass. Vasiliev; 33:19), Pen CSKA (2 Zhluktov, 37:26), 2-3 Ratelle (ass. Hodge; 37:31, PP). Shots: Bruins 8, CSKA 5.
Third Period: 2-4 Tsygankov (ass. Alexandrov, Vikulov; 40:43), Pen both (2 Tsygankov, 2 Hodge; 44:30), 2-5 Alexandrov (ass. Zhluktov; 48:58), Pen Bruins (2 Schmautz; 49:22). Shots: Bruins 13, CSKA 6.

Full* Game on Youtube:
Part 1:
Part 2:
*Almost: After the Mikhailov dive (31:00) a section of more than 2 minutes (including the third goal for the Soviets, scored by Maltsev) is missing between the fade-out at 1:02:14 and the fade-in at 1:02:15 of the video.

Konstantin Loktev, CSKA coach: „We are glad our team was able to show a good level of hockey. Our team looked quicker tonight. They played more concentrated hockey and if you noticed, our team has greatly improved their play after the first two games... I don't think the game was very rough despite some actions by Cashman that I thought were unnecessary. I feel the Canadians use their hands a lot.“

Harry Sinden, Bruins GM, on Tretiak: „He made us look harmless when we were in close and should have been dangerous.“

Don Cherry, Bruins coach: „They made me a believer... I was very impressed with their strenght...Their passing and their goaltending are extraordinary... They don't shoot the puck until they can put it in. They could have taken 12 more good shots.“ On Mikahilov: "I thought that was a very good Academy Award performance."

Wayne Cashman, right wing: „They're a great team, very consistent. They kept coming back at us... When Mikhailov held our goalie and then punched him, I hit him...He punched Gillie, he sat on him, he hit the stick out of his hand and the ref didn't call it.“

John Bucyk, left wing: „If the Russians played in the NHL on a regular basis, the good clubs could handle them, but not all of the time.“

Lakeland Ledger - Google News Archive Search
The Leader-Post - Google News Archive Search
Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on CSKA @ Flyers (1-4)

1976, Jan.11: Philadelphia Flyers – CSKA Moskva 4-1

Philadelphia, Attendance: 17,077
Referee Lloyd Gilmour (Canada), Linesmen Matt Pavelich (Canada) and Yuri Karandin (Soviet Union)

Flyers: Wayne Stephenson; Ed Van Impe РJim Watson, Larry Goodenough РAndr̩ Dupont, Joe Watson РTom Bladon; Bill Barber РBobby Clarke РReggie Leach, Ross Lonsberry РRick MacLeish РGary Dornhoefer, Dave Schultz РOrest Kindrachuk РDon Saleski, Bob Kelly, Mel Bridgman, Terry Crisp. Coach: Fred Shero.
CSKA: Vladislav Tretiak; Alexander Gusev – Valeri Vasiliev (Dinamo), Vladimir Lokotko – Vladimir Lutchenko, Alexei Volchenkov – Sergei Glazov; Valeri Kharlamov – Alexander Maltsev (Dinamo) – Boris Mikhailov, Boris Alexandrov – Vyacheslav Solodukhin (SKA) – Vladimir Vikulov, Alexander Lobanov – Viktor Kutergin – Vladimir Popov, Alexander Volchkov.

First Period: Pen CSKA (2 Alexandrov; 2:44), Pen both (2 Dornhoefer, 2 Glazov; 3:34), Pen Flyers (2 Dupont; 7:00), Pen Flyers (2 Van Impe; 9:10), Pen CSKA (2 Bench; 11:21), 1-0 Leach (ass. Barber; 11:38, PP), 2-0 MacLeish (ass. Lonsberry; 17:37), Pen Flyers (2 Dornhoefer; 17:56). Shots: Flyers 17, CSKA 2.
Second Period: Pen Flyers (2 Dupont; 21:08), 3-0 Joe Watson (ass. Saleski, Kindrachuk; 22:44, SH), 3-1 Kutergin (ass. Popov; 30:48), Pen Flyers (2 Van Impe; 31:31), Pen Flyers (2 Leach; 37:08), Pen CSKA (4 Alexandrov; 37:08). Shots: Flyers 14, CSKA 8.
Third Period: Pen CSKA (2 Volchenkov; 43:14), 4-1 Goodenough (ass. Clarke, Dornhoefer; 44:07, PP). Shots: Flyers 18, CSKA 3.

Full Game on Youtube:

Canadian Press (Al Colletti): „The Russians became disorganized as a result of the Flyers' hard checking. Coach Konstantin Loktev became so angered that he pulled his team off the ice...“

Tim Burke, Montreal Gazette: „It was one of the most remarkable displays of preparedness, discipline and unflappability in the annals of sport... The Flyers...did a little headhunting at the beginning, but nothing on the scale that they do against some of their NHL opponents...“

Clarence Campbell, NHL president: „Their argument was that the Flyers were playing too rough... I don't think they ever intended to leave the ice permanently. The Soviet coach reacted precipitously, but his point of view wasn't even supported by the chief of his own mission.“

Bryan O'Neill, NHL executive director: „They were just concerned that there was a lot of 'hunting' as they called it, of Russian players by the Flyers.“

Konstantin Loktev, CSKA coach: „The Philadelphia Flyers are a good team who can play any type of hockey. The way they play is the fault of the media. Freddy Shero is a very progressive coach. If we played the Flyers seven games, anybody could win... The Flyers seem to be trying to make some kind of damage to our players...sometimes one of the Flyers was hunting another player just to hit him with the stick... We don't want to play such animal hockey.“

Boris Kulagin, Krylja Soviet coach, spectator: „I have no doubt that if the Canadians had observed the limits of the game law, the outcome of the match would have been different.“

Fred Shero, Flyers coach: „We are the world champions. If they had won, they would have been the world champions... We beat a helluva machine... We kept the puck deep in their zone and moved it, moved it, moved it. And we weren't afraid to take the puck and hold it, hold it, hold it... We didn't play that physically... They want to confuse you with this weaving. Then they want you to skate out to meet them. But there's no point. Don't skate with them. They're better conditioned than North American athletes. Make them skate. Make them come to you.“

Ed Snider, Flyers owner: „I didn't think we played as rough as some of our playoff games.“

Ed Van Impe, defenseman, on Kharlamov: „I bumped him pretty good, but I don't think he was hurt as bad as all that, rolling around looking dead.“

Moose Dupont, defenseman, on Kharlamov: „Those guys are actors. I think he was playing Hamlet or something the way he went down.“

Don Saleski, right wing, on Alexandrov: „Just after Joe Watson's goal he gave me the worst spear I ever had in my life. It was so hard that his stick broke.“

St. Joseph Gazette - Google News Archive Search
Observer-Reporter - Google News Archive Search
Ottawa Citizen - Google News Archive Search
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19760112&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=whMyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=46EFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2306,279829&dq

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Theokritos - GREAT find on the quotes! Thanks.

---

there's no question that ELITE is ELITE. Being the best in your country, with even an average pool of talent and level of play, is transferable to other leagues, especially among the core hockey countries like Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic. Nowadays, this extends even further as we see great hockey players from all over Europe.

There's no difference historically, especially with the Russian players.

While I don't think anyone can touch Gretzky, Orr, Lemiueux (not sure about the older folks I didn't see much) - the next group of all-time greats in hockey have to include as many Russians, Swedes, Czechs, as those from North America. No doubt.

Love reading the old quotes though, I must say.

At the time, the games really felt like they meant something. Far more than similar games/tournaments do now, with the exception of the Olympics.
It was hard to appreciate how good the hockey was, leaving all other aspects (political, cultural) aside.

I firmly believe that Russian style of play had huge impact to how the game is played in North America (and vice versa). Probably why we see some of the best hockey nowadays, along with the supremely fit athletes.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
They caught the Bruins first game back from the west coast.

I looked that up. The Bruins played in Vancouver on Jan.2 and in Los Angeles on Jan.3. So they had five days off before meeting CSKA on Jan.8. CSKA had only four days off after their flight from Moscow to Montréal (arrival: Dec.24, first game: Dec.28).

Soviet referees handled complete games.

My bad, they did, I misread your earlier post.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
... interesting quotes ...
Well done. If you want to, you are welcome to edit your posts and somewhere in them insert the date or season the games took place. (I know it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I tend to forget and have to go there to look.)

Here is a wikipedia article about NHL All Stars playing Soviet in 1987. They played two games and won one each (Soviets had better goal difference).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_'87

The article mention Chomutov and Bykov, who chose to play in Europe (mostly Switzerland?) instead of in the NHL. They had a reputation of being very good players. During the 1990s, they had a reputation of being the best Russians outside of the NHL, and both likely would have been good to great players in the NHL.

Regarding the 1972 Summit Series, there is an excellent site - which I have mentioned several times during last months - at:
http://www.1972summitseries.com/index2.html
(Not sure if you think of this as on-topic or not.)

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
And here is from the 1979 Challenge Cup, between Soviet and NHL. Best of three games, with Soviet winning third game 6-0.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Challenge_Cup
Edit: German article contains more detailed info:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_Cup_1979
Canada outscored Soviet 8-4 during the first 1 1/2 games, but then the Soviets scored 9 straight goals.

Evidence after evidence seem to support that teams from Soviet did very well against best of NHL. Evidence after evidence seem to support that the best European players was at level with the best NHL players (perhaps excluding - although not necessarily - three players named Orr, Gretzky and Mario). Many NHL top ten scorers probably wouldn't have been top 10 scorers if there had been an "All World League" instead of NHL.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If you want to, you are welcome to edit your posts and somewhere in them insert the date or season the games took place. (I know it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I tend to forget and have to go there to look.)

Done.

The article mention Chomutov and Bykov, who chose to play in Europe (mostly Switzerland?) instead of in the NHL.

Linemates of Valery Kamensky at CSKA. The Québec Nordiques wanted all three of them, but Bykov and Khomutov signed with HC Fribourg-Gottéron (Switzerland) instead.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Refereeing in the 75-76 Series

CSKA @ Rangers (7-3):
Yuri Karandin (Soviet Union)
Penalties: CSKA 2x2, Rangers 9x2 + 1 major

CSKA @ Canadiens (3-3):
Wally Harris (Canada)
Penalties: CSKA 5x2, Canadiens 3x2

CSKA @ Bruins (5-2):
Viktor Dombrovski (Soviet Union)
Penalties: CSKA 3x2, Bruins 5x2

CSKA @ Flyers (1-4):
Lloyd Gilmour (Canada)
Penalties: CSKA 6x2 (including 1x2 for delay of the game), Flyers 7x2

Krylja Sovetov @ Penguins (7-4):
Penalties: Krylja Sovetov 3x2, Penguins 3x2 + 1 misconduct

Krylja Sovetov @ Sabres (6-12):
Ron Wicks (Canada)
Penalties: Krylja Sovetov 8x2, Sabres 7x2

Krylja Sovetov @ Blackhawks (4-2):
Penalties: Krylja Sovetov 6x2, Blackhawks 12x2

Krylja Sovetov @ Islanders (2-1):
? (Canada)
Penalties: Krylja Sovetov 11x2, Islanders 7x2

-----------------------

The unfamiliarity with refereeing - argument works both ways. NHL players complained about the Soviet referees Dombrovski and Karandin, Soviet players were unhappy with how the NHL referees handled their games. Half of the games were refereed by Soviet referees, half of the games by NHL referees.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
CSKA @ Rangers (7-3):

CSKA @ Canadiens (3-3):
Wally Harris (Canada)

CSKA @ Bruins (5-2):

CSKA @ Flyers (1-4):
Lloyd Gilmour (Canada)

Ron Wicks (Canada)

? (Canada)

-----------------------

The unfamiliarity with refereeing - argument works both ways. NHL players complained about the Soviet referees Dombrovski and Karandin, Soviet players were unhappy with how the NHL referees handled their games. Half of the games were refereed by Soviet referees, half of the games by NHL referees.

Soviet was 4-0 with Soviet referees, and 1-1-2 with Canadian referees.
Soviet referees generally handed out more penalties to NHL teams, while Canadian referees generally handed out more penalties to Soviet teams.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Soviet Referees

CSKA @ Rangers (7-3):

CSKA @ Canadiens (3-3):
Wally Harris (Canada)

CSKA @ Bruins (5-2):

CSKA @ Flyers (1-4):
Lloyd Gilmour (Canada)

Ron Wicks (Canada)

? (Canada)

-----------------------

Getting interesting. Key issue has not be addressed. How were games in the Russian league refereed. Obviously they were handled by Soviet referees. Could not find penalty stats for the 1975-76 season for CSKA but did find the 1978-79 season:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0017871979.html

In 44 league games CSKA was penalized for 539 minutes or app.12.25 min./game. In the NHL the 1978-79 Canadiens were penalized for 797 minutes in 80 games or < 10 min./game.

Seems that at home CSKA was getting the equivalent of 6+ minor penalties per game from Russian referees during the 1978-79 season.

The real measure would be how the same referees and other Russian officials were calling CSKA games during the 1975-76 Russian season.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Specifically

Soviet was 4-0 with Soviet referees, and 1-1-2 with Canadian referees.
Soviet referees generally handed out more penalties to NHL teams, while Canadian referees generally handed out more penalties to Soviet teams.

Putting numbers to the generalities.

NHL referees 30 minors to Soviets, 24 minors to NHL teams.
Soviet referees 14 minors to Soviets, 29 minors to NHL teams.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
A general thought: There are two possible explanations for the difference in officiating. 1) Standards familiar to one team but not to the other. 2) Partisanship of the referee.

Key issue has not be addressed. How were games in the Russian league refereed...
Could not find penalty stats for the 1975-76 season for CSKA but did find the 1978-79 season...In 44 league games CSKA was penalized for 539 minutes or app.12.25 min./game....
Seems that at home CSUKA was getting the equivalent of 6+ minor penalties per game from Russian referees during the 1978-79 season.
The real measure would be how the same referees and other Russian officials were calling CSKA games during the 1975-76 Russian season.

You're right, that would be the measure in fact. I don't have the data either, unfortunately.
But maybe the 75-76 Series data can already give us a clue at least:

NHL referees 30 minors to Soviets, 24 minors to NHL teams.
Soviet referees 14 minors to Soviets, 29 minors to NHL teams.

So the Soviet referees called fewer penalties against the Soviet teams than the NHL referees called against the NHL teams. A difference of 10 minors. Were Dombrovski and Karandin deliberately soft on their compatriots?
My first thought was: Canadian and European referees had different standards. For example body checking: what spectators, players, referees in the NHL considered a good hit into the boards was often considered boarding by European spectators, players, referees. According to the NHL referee it's not a penalty: the Russians are baffled and disgusted. According to the European referee it's a penalty: the Canadians are baffled and disgusted. Under a European referee, the Canadians would've received more penalties for their body checking.

But that only explains why NHL teams got just 24 minors called against them by the NHL referees compared to the 29 minors called by Dombrovski and Karandin. 5 minors difference: most likely the body checking difference, I guess. Checks that the Canadian refs thought were clean and the Soviet refs labeled violent.

The gap on the Soviet side is much larger: 30 minors called by the NHL referees, only 14 by the Soviet referees. And I think that might tell us something: The Soviets often complained about the Canadian refs being too soft on the NHL players, but I don't recall complaints that they called too many penalties against the Soviets. So while the Soviets thought the NHLers didn't get enough penalties for their rough play, they didn't really claim their own 30 minors were unjustified. If that is correct then there must surely be a suspicion that the Soviet refs called too few penalties against their compatriots. So, while both sides had an advantage for 4 games each, because one of "their" referees was in charge (familiarity with standards), the Soviets' advantage was unfairly larger in the 4 games with Soviet referees. Presumed my consideration is right.

Still, the best measure would really be the 75-76 penalty record from the Soviet League.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on Krylja Sovetov @ Penguins (7-4)

On with Krylja's tour.

1975, Dec.29: Pittsburgh Penguins – Krylja Sovetov 4-7

Pittsburgh, Attendance: 13,218
Referee Viktor Dombrovski (Soviet Union), Linesmen Neil Armstrong (Canada), Leon Stickle (Canada)

Penguins: Michel Plasse; Dennis Owchar – Dave Burrows, Ron Stackhouse – Steve Durbano, Colin Campbell – Barry Wilkins; Stan Gilbertson – Syl Apps jr. – Jean Pronovost, Chuck Arnarson – Ron Schock – Vic Hadfield, Rick Kehoe – Pierre Larouche – John Robert Kelly, Lew Morrison, Mario Faubert. Coach: Marc Boileau.
Krylja Sovietov: Alexander Sidelnikov; Yuri Lyapkin (Spartak) – Yuri Tyurin, Sergei Glukhov – Vladimir Krikunov, Viktor Kuznetsov – Sergei Babinov, Igor Lapin; Alexander Yakushev (Spartak) – Vladimir Shadrin (Spartak) – Viktor Shalimov (Spartak), Alexander Bodunov – Vyacheslav Anisin – Yuri Lebedev, Sergei Kapustin – Vladimir Repnev – Sergei Kotov, Konstantin Klimov.

First Period: 0-1 Anisin (ass. Bodunov; 1:45), 0-2 Shadrin (ass. Shalimov; 4:33), Pen Penguins (2 Campbell; 7:21), 0-3 Shalimov (ass. Lyapkin; 12:10), 0-4 Yakushev (ass. Shadrin, Tyurin; 15:25). Shots: Penguins 5, Krylja Sovietov 15.
Second Period: 0-5 Shadrin (ass. Lyapkin, Shalimov; 21:39), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Bench; 23:31), 1-5 Larouche (ass. Kehoe, Faubert; 25:35), 1-6 Repnev (ass. Kapustin; 26:02), 2-6 Schock (ass. Hadfield, Arnarson; 26:53). Shots: Penguins 7, Krylja Sovietov 8.
Third Period: Pen Penguins (20 Larouche; 32:26) 3-6 Wilkins (ass. Pronovost, Gilbertson; 34:42), 3-7 Lyapkin (ass. Shalimov, Shadrin; 40:30), 4-7 Morrison (ass. Hadfield; 43:02), Pen Penguins (2 Stackhouse; 49:41), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Yakushev; 54:18), Pen both (2 Kapustin, 2 Schock; 57:23). Shots: Penguins 18, Krylja Sovietov 12.

Associated Press (Hal Bock): „The Penguins stood around, watching the precise patterns of the Russians and before they knew it, the Soviets had five goals on the scoreboard.“

Canadian Press: „The Wings [=Krylja] almost blew the National Hockey League Penguins out onto nearby Centre Avenue in the first period, toying with their opponents and skating casually to a 4-0 lead. It was an entirely different Penguins club that came out for the last two periods, skating with the Russians, giving them bump for bump and taking the play into the Wings zone.“

Marc Boileau, Penguins coach: „I don't know what happened to our guys in the first period. They were just out there skating around...we had three guys in taking one of their men out of the play and they were coming at us three-on-two and two-on-one... After we adjusted between the first and the second periods, we just took the play away from them... We started to hit in the second and third periods and that's when we started to turn the game around... I'd give anything to play them again tomorrow.“

Boris Kulagin, Krylja coach: „We weren't tired. I think my players were simply satisfied with the first period... I repeatedly warned our players tonight that the Canadian pro hockey players are aggressive, play to the very end. I guess some of our players didn't understand me... The Pens are as good as any pro hockey team.“

Pierre Larouche, center: „We just watched them in the first period... If we played the same team again next week, we'd beat them. I'm sure.“

Dave Burrows, defenseman: „We'd beat them if we'd played them tomorrow.“

Vic Hadfield, left wing: „You try to hit them and you just bounce off. You can't hurt them, they're in such good condition... There's not too much you can do, they handle the puck so well... You can't blame the officials for anything tonight. We just made too many mistakes in that first period.“

Spokane Daily Chronicle - Google News Archive Search

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on Krylja Sovetov @ Buffalo Sabres (6-12)

1976, Jan.4: Buffalo Sabres – Krylja Sovetov 12-6

Buffalo, Attendance: 16,433
Referee Ron Wicks (Canada), Linesmen John D'Amico (Canada) and Viktor Dombrovski (Soviet Union)

Sabres: Gerry Desjardins; Jerry Korab – Paul McIntosh, Bill Hajt – Lee Fogolin, Jocelyn Guevremont – Gary McAdam; Craig Ramsay – Jacques Richard – Jim Lorentz, Brian Spencer – Fred Stanfield – Peter McNab, Daniel Gare – Don Luce – Terry Martin, Gilbert Perreault – Rene Robert – Robert Martin. Coach: Floyd Smith.
Krylja Sovietov: Alexander Sidelnikov (24.32–31:04 Alexander Kulikov); Yuri Tyurin – Yuri Lyapkin (Spartak), Sergei Glukhov – Vladimir Krikunov, Viktor Kuznetsov – Sergei Babinov, Yuri Teryokhin; Alexander Yakushev (Spartak) – Vladimir Shadrin (Spartak) – Viktor Shalimov (Spartak), Alexander Bodunov – Vyacheslav Anisin – Yuri Lebedev, Sergei Kapustin – Vladimir Repnev – Sergei Kotov, Gennadi Maslov.

First Period: Pen both (2 Shadrin, 2 Ramsay; 0:36), 1-0 Guevremont (ass. Spencer, Hajt; 6:10), 2-0 Perreault (ass. Korab; 7:10), Pen both (2 Repnev, 2 Fogolin; 11:21), 3-0 Martin (ass. Stanfield; 11:32), Pen Sabres (Korab; 11:45), 3-1 Repnev (ass. Shalimov, Yakushev; 13:45, PP), 4-1 Martin (14:23), 4-2 Kapustin (ass. Kotov; 19:16). Shots: Sabres 17, Krylja Sovietov 9.
Second Period: Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Kapustin; 22:49), 5-2 Lorentz (ass. Gare, Guevremont; 24:32, PP), Goalie Change Krylja Sovietov (Kulikov for Sidelnikov; 24:32); 6-2 Robert (ass. MacNab; 25:32), 6-3 Repnev (ass. Kapustin, Kuznetsov; 25:59), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Teryokhin; 27:55), 7-3 Korab (ass. Martin, Perreault; 28:26, PP), 7-4 Shalimov (28:40), Goalie Change Krylja Sovietov (Sidelnikov for Kulikov; 31:03), 8-4 Gare (ass. Stanfield, Korab; 31:44), Pen Sabres (2 Korab; 34:41), 9-4 MacNab (ass. Martin, Spencer; 37:17), Pen Sabres (2 Korab; 39:45). Shots: Sabres 17, Krylja Sovietov 7.
Third Period: 9-5 Kapustin (ass. Kuznetsov; 43:28), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Shadrin; 46:08), Pen both (2 Spencer; 2 Sidelnikov, served by Shalimov; 46:30), Pen Sabres (2 Guevremont; 46:52), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Kuznetsov; 47:20), 10-5 Stanfield (ass. MacNab, Robert; 49:41), 10-6 Lebedev (ass. Babinov, Krikunov; 51:32), 11-6 Gare (ass. Stanfield, Ramsay; 54:04), Pen Krylja Sovietov (Tyurin; 57:14), 12-6 Spencer (ass. MacNab, Robert; 58:04, PP). Shots: Sabres 12, Krylja Sovietov 6.

Full Game on Youtube:

Canadian Press: „The Buffalo victory was an unexpected break in the pattern of the current Soviet-National Hockey League series... Sabres general manager Punch Imlach had said before the game he was worried about his defence which was largely responsible for the team's record of only four wins and four ties in their last 15 games... Korab caught Yakushev with a couple of good checks early in the game. „After that you didn't see him doing much“, [Floyd] Smith said of the big Russian winger.“

Jim Coleman, Calgary Herald: „Jerry Korab dismantled huge Aleksandr Yakushev with a board-check which rocked the foundations of the Memorial auditorium. While the Russians were pondering rude treatment of their great-winger, the Sabres took a three-goal lead in the first 11 minutes and 32 seconds. Overwhelmed by his early success, Korab took a rather stupid penalty for charging the same Yakushev...and the Wings managed to score their first goal just as Korab was ready to return to the ice. However, the Sabres forechecking confused the Soviets so completely that, really, the issue was beyond doubt by the time that Buffalo had established a remarkable 9-4 lead at the end of the first period... Kulagin pointed out, with considerable justice, that the Wings were baffled by Buffalo Auditorium's very small centre ice area. He said that long-striding players such as Yakushev couldn't get loose in the small centre ice area. Kulagin certainly had a point: The Montreal Canadiens, who love to free wheel like the Russians, never play one of their really top-form games in the Buffalo Auditorium.“

Doug Gilbert, Montreal Gazette: „It is interesting that the two games the Soviet referees handled resulted in Russian wins and the two games with NHL officials in charge saw the home side with a big advantage in the play. This is not to suggest that the striped shirts did anything untoward, but it shows the different interpretation of the rules by the two countries. For instance, it is more than possible a European referee would have nailed the Buffalo Sabres for the force they used taking Alexander Yakushev into the boards in the first period. In that case, and don't forget boarding is a strict judgement call, Buffalo might have had to back off on its agressive hitting. It could have become a completely different game.“

Dink Carroll, Montreal Gazette: „Canadian hockey fans were delighted at the ease with which the Sabres disposed of the Wings and this is no attempt to belittle their accomplishment. They worked hard and deserved to win. It is an attempt to point out that every game between an NHL team and one of the top Soviet teams is not necessarily a classic. The purists must have shuddered at some of the things they saw in that game..“

Boris Kulagin, Krylja coach: „We have never been so humiliated. Most goals ever scored against us in international competition before was nine. This, I have never seen before.“ On Rick Martin and Gilbert Perreault: „In my opinion they are the best players I have ever seen in my life in professional hockey.“ Quoted by the Canadian Press: „Kulagin said the Sabres deserved the win. They were a much better team than they appeared to be in their loss to Los Angeles last thursday. After watching the game against Los Angeles, the Wings became overconfident about their Buffalo opponent, said the Russian coach.“

Floyd Smith, Sabres coach: „I thought the difference was in our skating. When there was a race Martin and Perreault could pull away from them.“

Rick Martin, forward: „I'm glad that we're the first team to beat them. We've proven that we can beat them and let's just hope that they give us credit for showing that they can be beaten... It was worth all the hard work we did this week. It's also a matter of pride. We are the National Hockey League and we're supposed to be the best in the world.“

The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search (P.33)
The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search
The Bryan Times - Google News Archive Search

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on Krylja Sovetov @ Chicago Black Hawks (4-2)

1976, Jan.7: Chicago Black Hawks - Krylja Sovetov 2-4

Chicago, Attendance: 18,500
Referee Yuri Karandin (Soviet Union), Linesmen Neil Armstrong (Canada) and Matt Pavelich (Canada)

Black Hawks: Tony Esposito; Dale Tallon – Phil Russell, Dick Redmond – Bill White; John Marks – Stan Mikita – Cliff Koroll, Dennis Hull – Pit Martin – Grant Mulvey, Darcy Rota – Bobby Sheehan – Jean-Pierre Bordeleau. Coach: Billy Reay.
Krylja Sovietov: Alexander Sidelnikov; Yuri Tyurin – Yuri Lyapkin (Spartak), Yuri Teryokhin – Vladimir Krikunov, Viktor Kuznetsov – Sergei Babinov; Alexander Yakushev (Spartak) – Vladimir Shadrin (Spartak) – Viktor Shalimov (Spartak), Vladimir Gostyuzhev – Vyacheslav Anisin – Yuri Lebedev, Sergei Kapustin – Vladimir Repnev – Sergei Kotov, Vladimir Rasko.

First Period: Pen Black Hawks (2 White; 3:21), Pen Black Hawks (2 Rota; 7:41), 0-1 Teryokhin (ass. Yakushev, Krikunov; 8:46, PP), 1-1 Redmond (ass. Mulvey 9:11), Pen both (2 Redmond; 2 Rasko; 20:00). Shots: Black Hawks 8, Krylja Sovietov 9.
Second Period: Pen both (2 Russell; 2 Repnev 23:15), 1-2 Kapustin (ass. Rasko, Kuznetsov; 24:03), Pen Black Hawks (2 Tallon; 27:33), Pen Black Hawks (2 Russell; 27:57), 1-3 Shalimov (ass. Teryokhin, Lyapkin; 28:41, PP), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Kapustin; 29:25), Pen Black Hawks (2 Redmonds; 29:31), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Shalimov; 30:49), Pen Black Hawks (2 Mulvey; 36:22), 1-4 Lyapkin (ass. Tyurin, Yakushev; 37:13, PP), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Teryokhin; 37:38). Shots: Blak Hawks 6, Krylja Sovietov 12.
Third Period: Pen Black Hawks (2 Rosa; 45:25), 2-4 Hull (ass. Mikita, Mulvey; 47:44), Pen both (2 Redmond; 2 Shadrin; 47:53), Pen Black Hawks (2 Redmond; 53:28), Pen Black Hawks (2 Mulvey; 58:18). Shots: Black Hawks 4, Krylja Sovietov 9.

Associated Press: „The Black Hawks, who lead the NHL's Conn Smythe Division, were frustrated by the Wings' offensive strategy and unable to cope with passes that three times caught the Hawk defencemen far out of position... Several near-fights were averted as tempers flared often.“

Brodie Snyder, Montreal Gazette: „The Wings...won because they were tremdendously improved offensively and because the Black Hawks played one period about as stupid as it is possible to play against a Soviet hockey team... in the second period, they took cheap penalties, started running around and the Russians scored three times... After it was all over, the Hawks did some vociferous complaining about the work of Soviet referee Yuri Karandin... But that excuse doesn't stand up, because most of the Chicago penalties were just plain silly... Tony Esposito was sharp all night and kept them from running up the score... When the Hawks did what they were supposed to do, they bottled the Russians up almost completely.“

Boris Kulagin, Krylja coach: „I warned my players about...people like Mikita, Hull and Esposito... I explained that they should be controlled very intensely during the whole game and should be containted. But I'd say we were more active then agressive. I told them to play more in the Black Hawk zone and they did... I think the referee did a good job. He interrupted the play at the right place and at the right time. He helped keep the fights down... On goalkeeper Sidelnikov: „He did not play so well in Buffalo. After the game he drew necessary conclusions from himself and improved.“

Bill Reary, Hawks coach: „Take a look at the penalties. It looks as though they had a meeting after the game Sunday and decided to make this one all Russian... I had to use up my good hockey players to kill off penalties in the first period... They really capitalized on the power play. They move the puck around well and wait for the guy that has a good shot. The Russians gave a demonstration of the way the power play is supposed to be worked.“

Bill White, defenseman: „It was only an exhibition game, but I think the officiating could have been better.“

Pit Martin, center: „The officiating made the difference. We didn't know what we could do and it had us all confused.“

Dale Tallon, defenseman: „It's frustrating to get up so high to play one game and have a joker like this screw it up. They do just as much sticking and spearing as we do and get away with it.“

Dick Redmond, defenseman: „I expected a rough game from them, but nothing like this. It was a matter of protecting yourself out there. On the first shift I was cross checked by a Russian player back of our goal, and the next time I was out one of their players hacked at my skates. It would have been a close game if we would have had some decent officiating... His officiating was so one-sided, it was a joke... We tried not to get the penalties but as soon as you touch those guys, you get a penalty. They speared you and everything, but they never got called.“

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=k0RYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9j0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=3585,1545729&dq

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Reports and Opinions on Krylja Sovetov @ New York Islanders (2-1)

1976, Jan.10: New York Islanders – Krylja Sovetov 1-2

New York, Attendance: 14,865
Referee Dave Newell (Canada), Linesmen Claude Béchard (Canada) and Viktor Dombrovski (Soviet Union)

Islanders: Glenn Resch; Jean Potvin РDenis Potvin, Gerry Hart РBert Marshall, Dave Fortier РDave Lewis; Jean-Paul Parise РJude Drouin РEd Westfall, Clark Gillies РBryan Trottier РBilly Harris, Garry Howatt РAndr̩ Saint-Laurent РBob Nystrom, Ralph Stewart, Bill MacMillan. Coach: Al Arbour.
Krylja Sovietov: Alexander Sidelnikov; Yuri Tyurin – Yuri Lyapkin (Spartak), Yuri Teryokhin – Vladimir Krikunov, Viktor Kuznetsov – Sergei Babinov; Alexander Yakushev (Spartak) – Vladimir Shadrin (Spartak) – Viktor Shalimov (Spartak), Vladimir Gostyuzhev – Vyacheslav Anisin – Yuri Lebedev, Sergei Kapustin – Vladimir Repnev – Sergei Kotov, Vladimir Rasko.

First Period: Pen Islanders (2 Drouin; 2:24), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Anisin; 5:25), Pen both (2 Repnev, 2 Marshall; 7:48), Pen Islanders (2 Saint-Laurent; 8:46), Pen Islanders (2 Saint-Laurent; 10:56), Pen Islanders (2 Hart; 16:35). Shots: Islanders 11, Krylja Sovietov 7.
Second Period: Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Gostyuzhev; 22:27), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Krikunov; 25:30), 0-1 Shalimov (26:31, SH), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Babinov; 30:00), Pen Islanders (2 Harris; 30:17), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Babinov; 34:54), 1-1 Trottier (ass. D.Potvin, Gillies; 34:59, PP), 1-2 Anisin (39:46). Shots: Islanders 6, Krylja Sovietov 9.
Third Period: Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Kuznetsov; 41:58), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Kuznetsov; 51:41), Pen both (2 Babinov; 2 Parise; 55:10), Pen Krylja Sovietov (2 Teryokhin; 58:30). Shots: Islanders 8, Krylja Sovietov 4.

Canadian Press (Al Colletti): „The Islanders played their usual strong defensive game, but were unable to generate much on offence, especially with their vaunted power play which produced their lone goal by rookie Bryan Trottier... All-star goalie Glenn Resch leaned a bit too heavily on his stick and it rumbled, opening the door for Soviet Wings to post a 2-1 victory... The 24-year-old Schalimov, whose seven shots were an individual game high, broke away to score when Resch smashed his stick.“

Associated Press: „After a cautious, scoreless first period...a loose puck skittered towards Islandes goalie Glenn Resch... Resch skated slowely out to clear the puck from danger, but as he swung, his stick broke in half. Schalimov pounced on the disc, skated around an Islanders' defenseman and scored before Resch could recover.“

Al Arbour, Islanders coach: „We've got so many kids that just couldn't loosen up. We couldn't get our offence going on all four cylinders. We were just working on two or one and a half.“

Boris Kulagin, Krylja coach: „Every hockey game consists of mistakes and the one who makes more mistakes loses.“ On the Series: „We would like to have such games on a regular basis.“

Ed Westfall, right wing: „We could talk for hours on which is the best system and where the best players are. I still think that they are in the United States and Canada.“

The Windsor Star - Google News Archive Search
Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad