GWT: Europa/Conference League - Knockouts

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kudos to west ham. I predicted a 2 or 3 goal win for the pull pushers but with the way they pinned the londoners in for the whole match, keeping it too just two was very impressive.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If West Ham had tried to open up the game they get brutalized on the counter and it's probably a 5-0, 6-1 type result. With the players missing there's just too much a disparity between the two sides currently. Trying to bunker and hope to go back to London 0-0 was the right play, cynical and unpopular as it might be.
I don't accept that whatsoever. Leverkusen is the better team, but that is not a 5-0 gulf in talent. Not by a long shot. If anything, the gulf is far more in the dugout than on the pitch.

They played scared, turtle football and lost anyway. They very easily could have given Leverkusen a match if their manager had the intention of giving them one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Liverpool gets knocked out, do we finally start the watch of Leverkusen going unbeaten in all comps?
Finally start? It’s been on since they beat Bayern.

Liverpool should get Gasperini to coach them next year. He's outklopping Klopp tonight.

Also this is an Atalanta without their starting goaltender, star defender and maybe best attacker in Carnesecchi, Scalvini and Lookman.
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a very long time lol

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Leverkusen needs to worry about West Ham. They barely got past Qarabag twice

But great achievement if they can pull it off obviously

West Ham had like two counters against Leverkusen in that first leg, failed to keep them from scoring late...like the pill pushers have been doing all season...and will be without their best attacker.

Leverkusen can't look past them until the job is done, but they've already got one foot in the next round.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I mean fair, but that Europa league was the biggest obstacle imo, but after tonight it looks a lot more plausible.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
actually if you really think about it, this liverpool loss is really a win given that it was Klopp with d20 leadership and a cabal of 16 year olds

wait

you're telling me the children (in their early 20s) were stapled to the bench

was i lied to about jurgen and virgil's babysitter's club

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a very long time lol
where you been man! he hit double digits in serie a last year and likely will again last year! and he scored multiple key goals for nigeria at the afcon (overall play not amazing, but i think he made team of tournament based on the goal timing).

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
where you been man! he hit double digits in serie a last year and likely will again last year! and he scored multiple key goals for nigeria at the afcon (overall play not amazing, but i think he made team of tournament based on the goal timing).

On some level I knew this. But I think my brain just assumed that was a false memory :laugh:

Lookman, Füllkrug, Merino, which failed starlet is going to come good next?

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
On some level I knew this. But I think my brain just assumed that was a false memory :laugh:

Lookman, Füllkrug, Merino, which failed starlet is going to come good next?
Eggestein has had a good season this year but next year he's going off.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean fair, but that Europa league was the biggest obstacle imo, but after tonight it looks a lot more plausible.

True. I still think the trips to Dortmund & Frankfurt could end their run, but outside of those two it's the EL that's the biggest threat.

Eggestein has had a good season this year but next year he's going off.

Now this my friends, is how you fish for likes :yo:

Reactions: maclean

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only solace in this loss is that we probably just cost England a fifth CL spot. So some of those laughs are going to turn into tears when these clubs realize how they just got f***ed.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The only solace in this loss is that we probably just cost England a fifth CL spot. So some of those laughs are going to turn into tears when these clubs realize how they just got f***ed.
doesn't effect me or my club

so it keeps being funny and i keep laughing

remember when people (non-liverpool fans) were saying atalanta was a walk? claiming that this was the weakest they've been in years? an immediately empirically incorrect claim? f***ing awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I totally forgot about that...f***, does that mean I have to root for Bayern to beat Arsenal? And city if they meet in the next round?

Here's to a Klassiker in the final! *sigh*

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
doesn't effect me or my club

so it keeps being funny and i keep laughing

remember when people (non-liverpool fans) were saying atalanta was a walk? claiming that this was the weakest they've been in years? an immediately empirically incorrect claim? f***ing awesome.
Yeah I know it doesn't affect Chelsea. But Tottenham or Villa? lol

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Did anyone watch the Roma-Milan match? How was Thiaw? Is he getting back into form?

He looked a bit timid /slow to react at times, and I think Gabbia looked better keeping Lukaku at check. Don't know what their marking orders re: Lukaku were though. Thiaw doesn't look fully fit yet, but he did ok. Probably would have looked better alongside Tomori, who was suspended.

Draw would have been probably a fairer result, especially remember Giroud missing a good late chance after great work by Chukwueze to set him up.

The tie is not over yet, especially considering Roma are under more pressure to keep winning in Serie A.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I totally forgot about that...f***, does that mean I have to root for Bayern to beat Arsenal? And city if they meet in the next round?

Here's to a Klassiker in the final! *sigh*
Nah, but you probably should be hoping they don't slip into 5th, as I'm not sure Leverkusen (whonwould be ripe for a regression, no?), Stuttgart, Dortmund, Leipzig as a UCL group will be great for the coefficient. Then again Bayern might just win the Europa League in that scenario, so... :laugh:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The best part is that the third goal was scored by Chelsea legend Mario Pasalic
Loan army representin'

Did he ever play for you guys though? What's most impressive about Pasalic is he's played 62 times for Croatia, being a contemporary of Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Kovacic, Badelj, Vlasic, Majer etc

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nah, but you probably should be hoping they don't slip into 5th, as I'm not sure Leverkusen (whonwould be ripe for a regression, no?), Stuttgart, Dortmund, Leipzig as a UCL group will be great for the coefficient. Then again Bayern might just win the Europa League in that scenario, so... :laugh:

If Leverkusen really can keep Flo for another season, then I'm not sure they'll regress that dramatically. They obviously won't repeat their historic pace, but who knows how they'll do in the CL :dunno:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Loan army representin'

Did he ever play for you guys though? What's most impressive about Pasalic is he's played 62 times for Croatia, being a contemporary of Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Kovacic, Badelj, Vlasic, Majer etc

No, they pretty much loaned him to every other top 5 league in Europe until he settled in Italy, he never even got a loan at another EPL club (Ligue 1, La Liga, Russia, Serie A). He is pretty much a super sub for Croatia and plays every match, he's actually pretty prolific at international level and was one of the better players in Croatia's Nations League run. Have to say it he generally outperforms Kovacic but will never start ahead of him

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lille already eliminating Villa's advantage from the first leg. As a Spurs fan I hope Villa goes all the way in Europe so they're tired in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad