Injury Report: Euro 2020, June 11 - July 11, TSN & TVA Sports: Kickoff

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
England is the Toronto Maple Leafs of football. Always extremely overrated by their own fans, still haven’t won shit since the sixties.

I feel bad for Saka, Rashford and Sancho though. They will get absolutely butchered by the English press.

I think modric said it best. There is a perpetual arrogance that surrounds the team, but it's not coming from the players.

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I know it was the last opportunity, bringing them was the right thing, but not during a defensive corner and by subbing out a defenseman. The timing was awful.
Yes it was, but not the gaffer's fault. The officials missed a stoppage about 2 minutes before where they could've brought them in. Bringing them in during a corner wasn't ideal, but Italy was never going to score there. They're all 5'5.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Yes it was, but not the gaffer's fault. The officials missed a stoppage about 2 minutes before where they could've brought them in. Bringing them in during a corner wasn't ideal, but Italy was never going to score there. They're all 5'5.
Just like the habs. And yet Italy scored their goal off a corner.
Show a little more respect for European champs!

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
45320765-9778491-image-a-23_1626039749873.jpg

Lines of riot police guard Trafalgar Square as England fans take to the streets | Daily Mail Online

Pretty mild so far.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Not the same team as in the previous 30+ years. They aren’t built from the back, but the back is the old guard (Chiellini and Bonucci) with younger wingers. The midfield and forwards are probably the best group ever.

I feel pretty good with my assessment at the very early stage of the tournament.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
One of the best FIFA tournaments I've ever watched was this year's Euro. It has really turned into a special event. We were treated to both semis going into extra time, and then the finals. wow! A lot of upsets and shockers throughout the tournament, but then the cream of the crop rose to the top.

The reffing and video review was phenomenal. At no point did the calls leave me shaking my head.

All around a special tournament. I would say, the only thing that would make it more fair, is to have seeds for teams before they draw groups. That way, there's more consistency in the groups and a better chance of the best teams getting to the quarter finals. The other side note, which was mentioned by FIFA, is the distance some teams had to travel in this year's FIFA. Not really fair and should be kept to a couple countries at most. Overall---no complaints! great job FIFA

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One of the best FIFA tournaments I've ever watched was this year's Euro. It has really turned into a special event. We were treated to both semis going into extra time, and then the finals. wow! A lot of upsets and shockers throughout the tournament, but then the cream of the crop rose to the top.

The reffing and video review was phenomenal. At no point did the calls leave me shaking my head.

All around a special tournament. I would say, the only thing that would make it more fair, is to have seeds for teams before they draw groups. That way, there's more consistency in the groups and a better chance of the best teams getting to the quarter finals. The other side note, which was mentioned by FIFA, is the distance some teams had to travel in this year's FIFA. Not really fair and should be kept to a couple countries at most. Overall---no complaints! great job FIFA

Sterling getting the penalty kick was an egregious miss, everything else was perfect. Unfortunately it happened at one of the worst times as it eliminated Denmark

Reactions: Nedved

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006

Euros are UEFA, not FIFA.

Reactions: themilosh

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Euros are UEFA, not FIFA.

makes sense, it's not an international competition, but thanks for making me aware. When the world cup is back and I'm upset with the reffing I will remember why the euro was so much better.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
makes sense, it's not an international competition, but thanks for making me aware. When the world cup is back and I'm upset with the reffing I will remember why the euro was so much better.
Well.. it actually "is" an International Competition by the very definition of its name.

In many respects the Euro is higher class than World Cup (absent Brazil/ARG)

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Well.. it actually "is" an International Competition by the very definition of its name.

The World cup is more prestigious because it's the world obviously but the Euro is more competitive for sure

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

for sure, but it’s continental. FIFA includes all nations, and has international in its name whereas uefa is the continent of Europe. I would say it’s semantics, but absolutely uefa is international but more specifically continental.

Maybe. Mexico, Uruguay, Chile, are also pretty decent teams. I’m sure I am missing more, but it’s hard to say it’s higher class. Both are impressive to win.

Scottish Hab

Mar 2, 2018
Glasgow
I would say, the only thing that would make it more fair, is to have seeds for teams before they draw groups. That way, there's more consistency in the groups and a better chance of the best teams getting to the quarter finals.

I would have to say this is the opposite of fair.

The tournament already has seeding based on performance in the qualifiers, which themselves are seeded.

The large / populous nations also have a material advantage too, so they don't need another layer of seeding to further grease their wheels.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
for sure, but it’s continental. FIFA includes all nations, and has international in its name whereas uefa is the continent of Europe. I would say it’s semantics, but absolutely uefa is international but more specifically continental.

Maybe. Mexico, Uruguay, Chile, are also pretty decent teams. I’m sure I am missing more, but it’s hard to say it’s higher class. Both are impressive to win.
Well the World Cup is about to be diluted. 48 teams starting in 2026.

6 CONCACAF teams will qualify. So potentially Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, Canada, and Honduras.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

The Euro is much higher class than WC as the avg ELO of each participating nation vastly stronger.
Inevitably the better teams advance (anyways) and there are more rounds so teams require more depth. Barring the usual upset, the rd of 16 is always the same as Euro (plus Bra/Arg)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad