Prospect Info: Etienne Morin (LHS D) - 48th Overall in 2023

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This was a really good pick. All that skill and he's a 2005 unlike our prior pick who should have gone late 20s.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Next Mark Giordano

Someone in the main prospect thread said style comparison to Chabot. If Chabot, Gio and Girard/improved Poirier that was mentioned in the other thread, it looks like there's a possibility Conroy is letting the scouts choose guys with a specific style they like. Getting a lite 2nd pairing version of those guys would be excellent. And knowing the IQ required for that style, it means a 2nd pairing still has a chance even in late career to be a borderline first pairing or legit first pairing calibre guy.

The approach seemed to be successful from 2015-2019 and I think we were bursting at the seams from 2015-2019 for prospects because we kept having to graduate them or trading them because of that success. That's not a bad problem to try replicating again. Maybe trying to manufacture a similar type of NHL calibre dman and getting higher yields due to the consistent approach by repeating the process over and over... I like it! :)

I mean, to a certain extent, it means a modified BPA. Like we can draft that value at a certain level, but if we don't know what to do with that type of asset, better to acquire value from another team for that asset and swap it with an asset we think we have a high chance for amplifying the value. Having too many prospects and having to trade some isn't a bad problem to have if such a directive is successful. Plus, if we get an asset and the asset doesn't develop correctly in our hands, instead of amplifying or maintaining value, we're losing it anyways.

I'd be curious to know if this is indeed something that might be happening, and I'd be excited if that's the case. The prospects we drafted all have major style similarities to roster players we liked in the last 5 years or so. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Last edited:

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
This kid does a hell of a good job on the ice.
He had 72 points in 67 games this past season, 17 points in 12 playoff games and believe me, he can handle a ton of minutes.
Arguably the 2nd best defenceman in all of the Q last year, at only 17 years of age.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Excellent pick.

He's very confident controlling the puck in all zones, excellent timing and reads on pinches and rushes, better defensively at the same age as ther offensive D out of the QMJhl (Chabot, Poirier, Cormier, for example), excellent rush defense. Excellent puckmoving D, rarely finds himself out of position or unable to get out of a bad spot defensively. I had him at #20, so I think we really hit this pick out of the park.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was thinking about how he looked in the Penticton tournament and there was something that stuck out to me in terms of his mannerisms, but I couldn't peg it down.

It feels like I see heavy hints of Brodie and little bit of Andersson specifically when he is at the point and trying to keep the puck in + put together a play or spinning around to use the body to protect and obscure the puck. Am I out to lunch on this? He's obviously different in the neutral zone and dzone. But specifically his play in the ozone has reminded me heavily of something I feel like I've seen a lot of before (so not opposition players). Maybe even pre-injury Valimaki?

Anyone else have an idea what I'm identifying/talking about? I honestly have a feeling this is a little bit of what our scouts specifically identify in LD prospects and have been relatively successful in finding good ones because of these attributes.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was thinking about how he looked in the Penticton tournament and there was something that stuck out to me in terms of his mannerisms, but I couldn't peg it down.

It feels like I see heavy hints of Brodie and little bit of Andersson specifically when he is at the point and trying to keep the puck in + put together a play or spinning around to use the body to protect and obscure the puck. Am I out to lunch on this? He's obviously different in the neutral zone and dzone. But specifically his play in the ozone has reminded me heavily of something I feel like I've seen a lot of before (so not opposition players). Maybe even pre-injury Valimaki?

Anyone else have an idea what I'm identifying/talking about? I honestly have a feeling this is a little bit of what our scouts specifically identify in LD prospects and have been relatively successful in finding good ones because of these attributes.
He has TJ Brodie skating and Rasmus Andersson's IQ/shot. Aka future norris co-winner along with Brady Skjei. Enough said.

Reactions: Kahvi and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He has TJ Brodie skating and Rasmus Andersson's IQ/shot. Aka future norris co-winner along with Brady Skjei. Enough said.

Perhaps for the quick turns and at the blue line at least. When there's a foot race back to the dzone, Brodie is far faster and smoother than Morin.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00