Ethnic Russian players playing for the others

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
the amount is staggering without trying too hard: Barkov, Yashkin, Malgin, Starkov, Trukhno, Levandovskiy, Bykov, Krutov, Galchenyuk, Patzold (sp) and counting....The 90's really cost us the talent pool as well.

If you want ethnic Russians, you don't have to look too far. Many of the Eastern European (former Soviet) countries have large ethnic Russian populations that are into hockey. Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Belarus and Estonia all have a large amount of players of Russian descent on their team. Not to mention guys like Alex Galchenyuk, Leo Komarov and Dmitrij Jaskin who all represent countries outside of Eastern Europe.

A similar thing happens with Canadians who can't make team Canada. Look at the Italian team.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Sure, but Canada isn't affected by this phenomenon with a couple exceptions like Brett Hull. I think the same can be said for a wide variety of countries, looking at Thomas Vanek and the Czech Republic for instance. When it comes to Russia though, the effects are far more severe given that quite a few of those players are actually talented enough to represent Russia which isn't the case for Canadian Italians.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
the amount is staggering without trying too hard: Barkov, Yashkin, Malgin, Starkov, Trukhno, Levandovskiy, Bykov, Krutov, Galchenyuk, Patzold (sp) and counting....The 90's really cost us the talent pool as well.

I am not sure about Krutov. i think he and Zhukov never played for Switzerland/Sweden. Trukhno played for Russia, he just grew up in Denmark.
Patzold aswell as Dzhunusov and Kotchnev are from Kazakhstan, Patzold is an ethnic "russian german" and Dzhunussow is probably either tatar or kazakh.

Though you can probably add Komarov and Tymashov(Ukranian) and Matushkin to the list.
Oh, and Mark and Sebastian Owuya of course.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Well, considering that national teams in hockey are mainly based on nationality (as it should be IMO), it's hardly surprising. Every country even the smaller ones hae a few players ike this (for example Slovakia with the Šťastný brothers or Vanek, who's actually Slovak o his mother's side). As has been said ofc it's stronger with Russia due to the strong presence of Russian minorities in several former USSR countries.

Also Galchenyuk? Does one turn into being ethnically Russian by obtaining Russian citizenship? Because I was always under the impression that Galchenyuk was ethnically Belarussian? Unless his mother is Russian as I'm 100% positive abut his father being Belarussian.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
You can likely add this kid to the list at some point.
Born in Alaska for some reason but raised in Russia and has been invited to the US NTDP.
Hasn't accepted yet, but was declared ineligible for the OHL draft because he did not meet residency requirements, meaning he'd either have to tender/get drafted in the USHL or play another year at the U18 level that he already dominated.

Of course, his agent is Larionov.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
you guys have misunderstood what I was trying to say. What I meant is that because of woeful 90's our players had to play abroad, their kids were born there got the citizenship of corresponding countries and ended up playing for them. I didn't mean the ethnic Russians born in former USSR republics for this thread

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Leonid Komarov is also an ethnic Russian. He was born in Estonia to Russian parents and moved to Finland as a kid.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Bykov was at least once in a camp of a russian junior nationalteam, and IIRC he played some preparationgames too... but was considered not good enough and this in a very weak russian generation (88'89born)... he acctually would have prefered to play for the sbornaja...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
yes, why?

No reason just adding a name, funny how Barkov and Jaskin, both sons of Russian nationals have evolved into top prospects in different countries. Wonder what type of players they'd be if they developed in Russia with those same genetics.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
No reason just adding a name, funny how Barkov and Jaskin, both sons of Russian nationals have evolved into top prospects in different countries. Wonder what type of players they'd be if they developed in Russia with those same genetics.

I had him in my original post, just spelled his LN a Russian way

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Well, considering that national teams in hockey are mainly based on nationality (as it should be IMO), it's hardly surprising. Every country even the smaller ones hae a few players ike this (for example Slovakia with the Å ťastný brothers or Vanek, who's actually Slovak o his mother's side). As has been said ofc it's stronger with Russia due to the strong presence of Russian minorities in several former USSR countries.

Also Galchenyuk? Does one turn into being ethnically Russian by obtaining Russian citizenship? Because I was always under the impression that Galchenyuk was ethnically Belarussian? Unless his mother is Russian as I'm 100% positive abut his father being Belarussian.

Actually, Belarusian is a nationality, but not an ethnicity. Belarusians and Russians are essentially the same ethnicity, along with Ukrainians. Any genetic differences among the Eastern Slavic branch of humanity are too small to classify.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
you guys have misunderstood what I was trying to say. What I meant is that because of woeful 90's our players had to play abroad, their kids were born there got the citizenship of corresponding countries and ended up playing for them. I didn't mean the ethnic Russians born in former USSR republics for this thread

It was sad that the 90's almost cost Russia a generation of hockey players. Luckily for them, while others may have wanted to emigrate as well, the hockey players had a marketable skill that could command a great paycheck! Even the powerful CSKA had a hard time meeting payroll commitments in the '90's.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Actually, Belarusian is a nationality, but not an ethnicity. Belarusians and Russians are essentially the same ethnicity, along with Ukrainians. Any genetic differences among the Eastern Slavic branch of humanity are too small to classify.

I wouldn't quite say that, Serbians and many Montenegrins have genetic differences from many Slavs.

Fulcrum

Correct, funnily enough the likes of Ovechkin and Malkin were grew up during the dark 90's. Cream always rises to the top.

Generations up to '87 born were still reaping the rewards of the soviet sport systems. In the early 90's, although bad, most sports were still relatively cheap if not free and were still coached by world class people. I was one of those kids :yo: So when Malkin and Ovi joined their hockey schools most of the traditions were still strong and the sport was relatively accessible. Also the culture of professional sports schools was still strong.

It's the later 90's, like 95 and forth when the sports system hit rock bottom around 98 and 99. So Malkin still had very good base to start with when he was a kid. But the generation of late 80's early 90's kids was just coming of age when they started (or most DIDN'T) start playing sports. That is when things like hockey equipment and schools got ridiculously expensive and people were poorer than ever. The coaching significantly dropped and corruption was at an all time high. Hence between 2006-2010 things were at the lowest in terms of youth results- the 'Perestroika' or crisis kids.

OR as we know them now, the kids who were born when the soviet players left the Russian leagues to go play abroad, and now we have the Galchenyuks and Barkovs and so on.

Fulcrum

I'm also glad to hear more and more Russian prospects who grew up at home idolizing Morozov, Zinoviev and so on. Like Nichushkin.

5-7 years ago it would be unthinkable and if you were to ask any Russian kid he would scream Fedorov and Detroit Red wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad