Prospect Info: Ethan Miedema, LW, Kingston (OHL) 109 OA, 2023

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Seems like a weird pick. I don't know. Reports don't suggest a very smart or engaged player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
HP had him at 87.

Miedema possesses a great shot and he loves to use it. He leans into his shot well and shifts his hands into a better power position during his shot process so he can get as much of his weight behind his shot as possible. He can be deceptive with his shooting and can change shooting angles by starting his shot out wide and curling the puck through traffic or get off a quick shot in tight on a defender on the rush. It may benefit him to power to the net more on the rush rather that shoot, but overall he has enough accuracy where he does hit the net more often than he misses from bad angles. Miedema also has good vision in the offensive zone and can put players in good scoring chances with creative passing however, he can force plays when his team is down resulting in turnovers going the other way.

Miedema uses his size to his advantage along the boards, protecting the puck well and winning the puck from defenders with strength and making plays with his hands against his opponents who sometimes need two players to match his battle ability along the boards. On the rush Miedema will drive the middle if given. However, he will often drive wide looking for a passing or shooting option while he reads the defence. He could benefit from driving the middle more or powering to the net with his frame as he can get the puck up quickly and create more offense from driving the play to the net.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
EP amusing:

If there’s one prospect who will immediately make us look foolish next season, it’s probably Ethan Miedema. The 6-foot-4 winger has been a top player in the age group for years, with the shooting and passing skill to fill the back of the net. While it took him a while to regain his scoring touch with the Kingston Frontenacs, he finished the season with 11 points in seven games.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
20. Ethan Miedema - Wing - Kingston Frontenacs
Consistency is the number one issue here. That's not always an easy fix, but it's a common one for big, power wingers like Miedema. It takes great conditioning to be an impact power forward and right now it's clear that Miedema doesn't have that. On some nights, he brings it physically but struggles to make an impact offensively. On other nights, he plays a more passive game, but showcases his skill and playmaking touch. Rarely, did he find a way to put both together this season. The other thing that needs to continue to improve is his skating ability. I think his linear quickness improved this year, which is a start. However, his overall agility is lacking and it makes him pretty rigid. For such a big guy, he doesn't find himself in scoring position near the crease near enough and he's not making the kind of impact that he can make between the hash marks. At this point, I view Miedema as a pretty big boom/bust kind of selection. The number of players like Miedema who've not succeeded is a longer than the ones who have. We're looking at a Matthew Strome, Nick Magyar, Josh Brittain, Graham Knott, AJ Jenks type situation or we're looking at Josh Anderson.

From Brock's Top 50 OHL players for 2023

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Pronman ranked him 81st:

Background
Miedema was a quality junior winger this season between Kingston and Windsor. He was a key part of the Shane Wright trade. Miedema was invited to Canada's U18 camp in the summer and was the fourth pick in his OHL Draft.
Analysis
Miedema is a highly-skilled winger with NHL size. He has the hands to beat defenders at a high clip due to his wingspan and puckhandling skill. He is creative as a handler but can also make plays, has good scoring instincts and a solid wrist shot. Miedema's major flaw is his skating. He has a heavy, and at times sluggish, skating stride that will limit him as he climbs levels. His compete is OK. I think he's engaged enough but I wouldn't call it an asset and I'd like to see more interior offense given his size.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
We drafted a better Murray replacement.
Not to pick on this comment, but this reminded me of a quote of Kevin Devine that’s been stuck in my mind since 2012 when we drafted Justin Kea:

“We drafted a better skating Paul Gaustad”

So now I try and stay away from statements like that on mid-round picks (even if Murray is a lower bar to clear).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not to pick on this comment, but this reminded me of a quote of Kevin Devine that’s been stuck in my mind since 2012 when we drafted Justin Kea:

“We drafted a better skating Paul Gaustad”

So now I try and stay away from statements like that on mid-round picks (even if Murray is a lower bar to clear).
Turns out they only drafted a better-skating Tim Peel

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Seems like he has loads of upside potential. The biggest concern - needing to improve his skating - is practically a cliche at this point for a big, skilled forward.

Maybe our draft gurus can explain why he lasted until the 4th Round.

Reactions: Chainshot

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Seems like he has loads of upside potential. The biggest concern - needing to improve his skating - is practically a cliche at this point for a big, skilled forward.

Maybe our draft gurus can explain why he lasted until the 4th Round.
Here are highlights of a 4 goal game he had this season.

Skating does seem to be an area he needs to improve on but his stickhandling and shot looks good for a man his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad