Islanders Point Blank: ESPN: Kopitar & Stamkos negotiations will affect Tavares’ next deal

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/isla...s-negotiations-will-affect-tavares-next-deal/

John Tavares has an eye on Anze Kopitar and Steven Stamkos’ contract negotiations.

ESPN’s Craig Custance spoke to Tavares during the NHL Player Media Tour in Toronto this week, and JT admitted that he has paid attention to each of those franchise center’s contract talks.

“A little bit. You see it all,†Tavares said.

Custance says Tavares, who is under contract on a very team-friendly deal now, is in that same elite group of centers, and will be set up for a big pay increase, perhaps as much as double his current $5.5 million AAV.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I get a definite "pay me and I'll stay" vibe from JT. In which case, pay pay pay pay pay.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
JT comes across as very level headed in that interview and doesn't appear driven by greed, admitting he's already set for life

I agree. Isles will need to have shown they are a serious cup conte der with this core group.

I also think the isles very deep prospect pool will help their efforts to extend Tavares. He has talked in the past, about how having young talent coming thru the system boosts the. NHL club and pushes the NHL players. Isles are in very strong shape with not only a very good NHL team, but an impressive prospect pool.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Give JT whatever he wants. If it's max amount for 7 years--get it done. It's that simple.

Tavares is our most important Islander since the dynasty.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I agree. Isles will need to have shown they are a serious cup conte der with this core group.

I also think the isles very deep prospect pool will help their efforts to extend Tavares. He has talked in the past, about how having young talent coming thru the system boosts the. NHL club and pushes the NHL players. Isles are in very strong shape with not only a very good NHL team, but an impressive prospect pool.

Good point. And, in today's NHL, it is one of the only ways to compete. You need a star player or 2 or 3 that are earning top dollar because they deserve it, a few in the middle, and then you need a mixture of RFA and ELC deals to be able to fit under the cap.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
You give the kid a blank check and don't even think twice. Literally, let him make the terms.

I'm just adding to the choir, but this really is the truth. Besides, this organization owes him for taking a crazy team friendly deal at a time this team was in a more dire financial position. I'm totally content to consider any "overpayment" in tavares' next deal as deferred compensation for the last few years.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He wI'll get the bank, but the article is not saying anything not already obvious. What is next, "If you stand in the rain, you will probably get wet?"

Thanks for pointing that out, IPB.

ab94

May 12, 2013
Long Island
If it were me, I'd sit him down and tell him he gets to write the contract, but impress upon him that we can only surround him with a seriously competitive team if he doesn't give himself the very maximum and take up too much of the cap. Especially if he hasn't won a Cup by then, I think he'd think twice before "overpaying" himself.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
His new contract won't kick in until 2018 season. By then it's pretty much guaranteed it'll be over $10 mil per, if not close to $12 mil

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple tweeted a while back that he wouldn't be surprised if JT took a discount on his next deal. What a discount will be on July 1st of 2017 (is that the earliest he can re-sign?), who knows. I'd love nothing more (besides a Cup) than to see JT re-sign for 8 years on a discount as soon as he can to troll the rest of the league. He's the classiest pro in NY now that Jeter retired.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Staple tweeted a while back that he wouldn't be surprised if JT took a discount on his next deal. What a discount will be on July 1st of 2017 (is that the earliest he can re-sign?), who knows. I'd love nothing more (besides a Cup) than to see JT re-sign for 8 years on a discount as soon as he can to troll the rest of the league. He's the classiest pro in NY now that Jeter retired.

JT is already signed at a huge discount. Do you see him taking another one? I personally don't but perhaps JT is less greedy than most.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
As someone else said, don't play hardball with him. He's earned every penny of whatever he gets. Honestly, he even deserves the max contract whatever that'll be. I think he'll be an easy negotiation anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad