ESPN Glance at Draft

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
7. Brandon Sutter (Red Deer Rebels, WHL)
The next line of Sutters is on his way and this one is very special. He has the traditional Sutter traits of grittiness, hard work, leadership and passion, but he also has a lot more skill then most of his uncles had.
NHL comparable: Rod Brind'Amour

Has he ever seen him play?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I'm a bit surprised ESPN bothered with this 'niche' sport :sarcasm: Maybe they're getting some more people asking for hockey coverage again? I just got the impression since the lockout the ESPN has basically tried to bury NHL hockey, are they maybe finding that compared to some of the stuff they cover now Hockey was actually popular?

Anyway, having said that, seems fairly accurate(from what I know), was pleased to see Katic as # 5 D, and he even addressed the issue that people are divided on him. I don't see him going as low as the third round as some rankings suggest, I think someone(I'm thinking St Louis)may pick him up in low 1st high second. Puck Handling D men are very much wanted in the NHL and Katic fits the bill, even if he's on the smallish side.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While the rankings might be a bit off, the overall analysis of each player is pretty good and the player comparisons (not always easy to do) are pretty accurate. Nice job.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Interesting read.

One minor point: Stich was taken 4th in the import draft, not 1st. (That honour went to Voracek). He was the first defenseman chosen, though, and perhaps that was Seidel's intention.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The rankings are off on some and in fact some are missing who should be there and others should be lower..but the analysis and comparisons are pretty good...

Kane compares to Briere: except for position (Kane=RW;Briere=C) and exccpt that Briere has better speed without the puck and attempts to play defense --Kane doesn't even pretend he can back-check...

Esposito compares to Yashin : except that Yashin is 4 inches taller a lot heavier and a lot slower...Yashin has a better shot than Esposito...that Espo is comparedto Yashin for work ethetic/consistency of showing up is tantamount to stating: AVOID!!! AVOID!!!

Turris compares to Marleau--except that Turris has a better shot and better hockey sense,and has more edge than Marleau...otherwise it is a good comparison...

Gagner compares to Marc Savard =set-up types more than goal scorers...that is a good comparison except that Gagner goes to the net more...

Couture to Brind'Amour comparison--I think Brind'Amour is griiitier and skates a bit better--but size-wise and in2-way style --yes that seems correct...

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
The player comparisons are nice thing to see, but I would have liked to seen their basic info...
Height, Weight, Shot (R or L)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The rankings are off on some and in fact some are missing who should be there and others should be lower..but the analysis and comparisons are pretty good...

Kane compares to Briere: except for position (Kane=RW;Briere=C) and exccpt that Briere has better speed without the puck and attempts to play defense --Kane doesn't even pretend he can back-check...

Esposito compares to Yashin : except that Yashin is 4 inches taller a lot heavier and a lot slower...Yashin has a better shot than Esposito...that Espo is comparedto Yashin for work ethetic/consistency of showing up is tantamount to stating: AVOID!!! AVOID!!!

Turris compares to Marleau--except that Turris has a better shot and better hockey sense,and has more edge than Marleau...otherwise it is a good comparison...

Gagner compares to Marc Savard =set-up types more than goal scorers...that is a good comparison except that Gagner goes to the net more...

Couture to Brind'Amour comparison--I think Brind'Amour is griiitier and skates a bit better--but size-wise and in2-way style --yes that seems correct...

I think you're being overly critical. He's just trying to put a face to the name, not establish human cloning.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
How can you say the rankings are off? This is all subjective after all.

I'm sure if a team's 2007 draft rankings were posted here without being annonced as a team's rankings, people would absolutely freak out at how bad the rankings are.

If that was the case, Turris would be considered a sure-fire 1st overall pick.

Last edited:

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Once again you look for any way possible to slam Esposito. In no way does he compare Esposito's work ethic consistancy to that of Yashin's. he stated that those knocks against Esposito have improved, making him a candidate as a top end pick once again a reality. You're just ticked because his rated ahead of your boy toy Turris. And to say Turris has more hockey sence that Marleau once again is a stretch on your part. To be taken seriously, you really should temper these things a bit

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Not having LaFleur in the goaltenders ranking is a mistake. When he is on, he is almost unbeatable, and with a proper goaltender coach to fix some small flaws, he can stay "on" more often than not, and at 6'4" he really fills the net.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Marleau is much bigger than Turris (6'2", 220 vs. 6'0", 165), and I would be willing to bet that he is faster too (Marleau is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL). I think Marleau is grittier, too. Like someone pointed out earlier, if people really thought Turris was going to be better than Marleau, he would be the undisputed #1 pick of the draft.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't seem like a bad list, although the author is off on a couple of things -
He lists the U-18 squad as playing out of the NAHL, and I noticed Colby Cohen is still listed as with the U-18 team even though he went to Lincoln months ago.

I obviously have no life. :D

Roger's Pancreas*

It was good to read about some of the defensemen in the draft for a change. I'm tired of hearing about all the forwards.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

Bear in mind this is a fairly recent development for Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad