News Article: ESPN article on Granato - The human side of the Buffalo Sabres' 18-game winless streak of 2021

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm more ok with Granato leading the team this season after reading that. Looks like he has a bit of a pre-season focus.

But I want a veteran as the long term solution.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
There have been multiple teams who use a coach for the bulk of a rebuild then when they are ready to take a step forward, they bring in another coach who brings more to the table. Do i trust this organization to make that kind of move?????? HELL NO. I guess time will tell. I will say that i wouldn't be upset if Granato and Girardi got a full year to see what happens. :)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Damn, Granato has had some really shitty luck with his health.

Pretty good article about Granato’s coaching history, how his health impacted his career, his philosophy and what he’s done since taking over.

Quotes

On Eichel:
I had Jack in the U.S. program when he was 16. I got to know him then, and I thought the world of him then. It's something I'm excited to be a part of when he's back -- because we expect him back, we're hopeful he'll be back before the end of the year -- and I look forward to that, now in the position of head coach.
He means a lot to me personally. I love the fact that he has such strong and visible emotions of the game. I've reminded him numerous times that he's got to make sure he finds the fun in all of this, too. Sometimes a lot of these great athletes are so intense, and there's so much demand on them that they feel like they can't have fun. It becomes such a business. They're judged on different levels. I'm speaking generally now, but when you lose that, or you stop being aware of that, it becomes even harder.

I don't think Eichel will have any issues with Ralph's replacement.

On taking over a team that was on a 12 game losing streak:
Everybody is telling us who we are. Are you going to listen to that?
My challenge to the players was: We cannot buy into that. People look up to you guys. Your friends look up to you guys. This is a chance to be really strong. This the opportunity to really be a leader. Because a lot of people go through hard things in life, a lot harder than what we're going through. So don't shrug your shoulders and put your head down and talk about this being embarrassing. Play through it. Have a vision of how much better we're going to be on the other side of it, because we're going to get to the other side.

I didn't realize Granato was such a leader and motivator. He's all the things that Krueger was expected to be.

Changing the mentality:

It's really simple to watch and see who wants the puck and who wants to get rid of it.
Possession is responsibility. If you have the puck on your stick, yeah you can score a goal, but yes you can make a mistake. There's a seriousness to possessing the puck in the NHL, because you don't want to make a mistake. That's sometimes a bigger headline than the guy who scores the goal.
We put in practices that you would usually have in preseason. Very dynamic, explosive skating. Competitive. You're tired after practice. And they've all looked excited after the next one, and been excited through the practice. They've all looked better to me in the game. There's a little more jump, there's a little quicker recovery, they're waiting at the end of the bench for the call of who goes out next. They want the puck.
What we need is to create a culture here; we need everyone to want to hang onto the puck. And within the last week, we're starting to see movement in that direction. That's awesome to see as a coach.

They were afraid to hang onto the puck before because if they made a mistake they'd end up nailed to the bench, scratched, or skinnered alive. :laugh:

Last edited:

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Quotes

On Eichel:
I had Jack in the U.S. program when he was 16. I got to know him then, and I thought the world of him then. It's something I'm excited to be a part of when he's back -- because we expect him back, we're hopeful he'll be back before the end of the year -- and I look forward to that, now in the position of head coach.
He means a lot to me personally. I love the fact that he has such strong and visible emotions of the game. I've reminded him numerous times that he's got to make sure he finds the fun in all of this, too. Sometimes a lot of these great athletes are so intense, and there's so much demand on them that they feel like they can't have fun. It becomes such a business. They're judged on different levels. I'm speaking generally now, but when you lose that, or you stop being aware of that, it becomes even harder.

I don't think Eichel will have any issues with Ralph's replacement.

On taking over a team that was on a 12 game losing streak:
Everybody is telling us who we are. Are you going to listen to that?
My challenge to the players was: We cannot buy into that. People look up to you guys. Your friends look up to you guys. This is a chance to be really strong. This the opportunity to really be a leader. Because a lot of people go through hard things in life, a lot harder than what we're going through. So don't shrug your shoulders and put your head down and talk about this being embarrassing. Play through it. Have a vision of how much better we're going to be on the other side of it, because we're going to get to the other side.

I didn't realize Granato was such a leader and motivator. He's all the things that Krueger was expected to be.

Changing the mentality:

It's really simple to watch and see who wants the puck and who wants to get rid of it.
Possession is responsibility. If you have the puck on your stick, yeah you can score a goal, but yes you can make a mistake. There's a seriousness to possessing the puck in the NHL, because you don't want to make a mistake. That's sometimes a bigger headline than the guy who scores the goal.
We put in practices that you would usually have in preseason. Very dynamic, explosive skating. Competitive. You're tired after practice. And they've all looked excited after the next one, and been excited through the practice. They've all looked better to me in the game. There's a little more jump, there's a little quicker recovery, they're waiting at the end of the bench for the call of who goes out next. They want the puck.
What we need is to create a culture here; we need everyone to want to hang onto the puck. And within the last week, we're starting to see movement in that direction. That's awesome to see as a coach.

They were afraid to hang onto the puck before because if they made a mistake they'd end up nailed to the bench, scratched, or skinnered alive. :laugh:

I could definitely talk myself into retaining him as a head coach. I’ve enjoyed watching the games with him as coach, which is something that I could not say for Krueger this year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Let's see how the Sabres finish the season. If we keep playing like we have under Granato (or better), I've got no problem with keeping him on full-time. Just bring in a competent veteran assistant.

Reactions: Club

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I want Boudreau, anyone who is buying this, meh. He could easily return as an assistant. The Sabres have been playing at least fundamental basic hockey at this point. I have no disdain or dislike for Granato, but the Sabres deserve a hockey coach with a pulse. We haven't had that since Ruff.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Let's see how the Sabres finish the season. If we keep playing like we have under Granato (or better), I've got no problem with keeping him on full-time. Just bring in a competent veteran assistant.
giphy.gif

Reactions: sufferer

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Oh, c'mon. There is ZERO arguing that he has the Sabres playing FAR better than we had under RK. We almost look like we did pre-COVID (though we're never going to get there because injuries).

If the Sabres continue to improve and respond to Granato, there's no reason he can't be a legit candidate.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Oh, c'mon. There is ZERO arguing that he has the Sabres playing FAR better than we had under RK. We almost look like we did pre-COVID (though we're never going to get there because injuries).

If the Sabres continue to improve and respond to Granato, there's no reason he can't be a legit candidate.
Sure but we are seeing nothing more then a team responding to a 18 game losing streak playing for pride, trying to impress management who added two people to the bench to give insight into the locker room's problems and help. Now they are coming together on the easiest stretch of games this season when they faced Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Rangers and now Devils back to back.

Can he be interviewed for the job? Sure but lets not forget what Ron Rolston did for the team when he took over going 15-11, the team looked much better than as well.

Reactions: beerme1

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sure but we are seeing nothing more then a team responding to a 18 game losing streak playing for pride, trying to impress management who added two people to the bench to give insight into the locker room's problems and help. Now they are coming together on the easiest stretch of games this season when they faced Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Rangers and now Devils back to back.

Can he be interviewed for the job? Sure but lets not forget what Ron Rolston did for the team when he took over going 15-11, the team looked much better than as well.

They're not comparable. Granato is a guy that has the experience and credentials to be considered for any NHL head coaching opening. He has a stronger resume than Lindy Ruff when he was hired by the Sabres.
Don Granato Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Rolston was in way over his head. He wasn't even a head coach at the college level.
Ron Rolston (b.1966) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I've reminded him numerous times that he's got to make sure he finds the fun in all of this, too.

That line right there is what clouds the entire organization. Eichel has always been way too miserable playing hockey, and as a leader, it needs to be fixed or moved out. I have said this before, you can't have bad days as a leader. You can struggle, but you can't show it.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I've reminded him numerous times that he's got to make sure he finds the fun in all of this, too.

That line right there is what clouds the entire organization. Eichel has always been way too miserable playing hockey, and as a leader, it needs to be fixed or moved out. I have said this before, you can't have bad days as a leader. You can struggle, but you can't show it.
I would like to see Eichel return for a stretch to see how he would respond in this environment. I have no doubt he has been injured all season but I think you have a good point. Jack has always seemed off. His body language has been his enemy. I think the rumours of character issues might not be completely off. Now a big part of it is probably frustration over constantly losing and not knowing the proper way to display it. I hope he is back healthy and happy soon and has a good end to the season.

Last edited:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I would like to see Eichel return for a stretch to see how he would respond in this environment. I have no doubt he has been injured all season but I think you have a good point. Jack has always seemed off. His body language has been his enemy. I think the rumours of character issues might not be completely off. Now a big part of it is probably frustration over constantly losing and not knowing the proper way to display it. I hope he is back healthy and happy soon and has a good end to the season.

The issues have been there since he was 16. This isn't a recent take.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Eichel never had an acceptable coach. I can't wait to see him under Granato.

He might be the best coach since pre-Ruff. FWIW i consider Ruff an above-average coach at best.

Reactions: sabremike

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He should definitely be considered for the job. It’s crazy that “generally qualified” and “liked by players” are steps up but that’s Sabreland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad