News Article: ESPN 2016-17 season preview: New York Islanders

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Watching Ladd in preseason I've been impressed, and I really don't have any concerns. Yeah, that contract might be ugly 2-3 years down the road, but he's perfect for Tavares right now. He's everything Okposo wasn't. He's been consistent throughout his career, he works hard on the boards, and defends well for a winger. PAP just needs to do what he did in his previous term with Tavares.

As for Nielsen, he's a good player, and an obvious loss. I'm just not sure about how much he meant to the PK. The Islanders were 4th the previous season, 26th and 29th (oof) the prior two years. If Nielsen was so great on PK1, you'd expect those previous two seasons to stay below 20-25th.

Martin was a great guy, but contributed very little stats-wise.

At worst 4th in the Metro, make the playoffs.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I partially agree with the article. From the outside looking in, it does look like we lost more than we got. Of course, as an Islander fan, we know our team better than most and we have arguments that we improved, but not by much. To keep it simple, we took a dive from the points department and that is only because there is an unknown variable called PA Parenteau. If he does 40 points again, we didn't do what we set out to do, but if chemistry is on our side, then we could easily be ahead of the game.

The big problem is while we MIGHT have improved, it was only a little bit where other teams like Florida have improved a lot...at least I think so. There are still unknowns to how much the Rangers, Sabres, Leafs, Carolina play this year..all those guys steal points away from us if they're hot. Sabres won't be bottom dwellers anymore and neither will Florida ....Leafs could steal a few games as well as Detroit.

The margin of improvement on other teams is greater than the margin of improvement for the Isles.

Actually, now that I think of it. PA is not the only unknown. We need to know if Strome, Nelson and Lee are going to improve or slack again
Boychuck needs to get back to how he was.
Bailey needs to step the fk up!

I am happy no matter what the outcome of this year because I know that if we succeed, great and if we tank..great because that means the end of Cappy....I hope...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I partially agree with the article. From the outside looking in, it does look like we lost more than we got. Of course, as an Islander fan, we know our team better than most and we have arguments that we improved, but not by much. To keep it simple, we took a dive from the points department and that is only because there is an unknown variable called PA Parenteau. If he does 40 points again, we didn't do what we set out to do, but if chemistry is on our side, then we could easily be ahead of the game.

The big problem is while we MIGHT have improved, it was only a little bit where other teams like Florida have improved a lot...at least I think so. There are still unknowns to how much the Rangers, Sabres, Leafs, Carolina play this year..all those guys steal points away from us if they're hot. Sabres won't be bottom dwellers anymore and neither will Florida ....Leafs could steal a few games as well as Detroit.

The margin of improvement on other teams is greater than the margin of improvement for the Isles.

Actually, now that I think of it. PA is not the only unknown. We need to know if Strome, Nelson and Lee are going to improve or slack again

I am happy no matter what the outcome of this year because I know that if we succeed, great and if we tank..great because that means the end of Cappy....I hope...

I was not a big fan of what Florida did actually. I thought they actually made their defense worse with a couple of questionable moves. They're also relying on an old goaltender.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

A lot of this is true, but I do think it's important that we recognize the fact that we added goals to our lineup. The team has a lot of players who are pass first, Strome, Bailey, even Tavares. Only a few goal scorers, but now we've added in Chimera who can finish and Ladd, who is more of the type of finisher we need.

The other thing is that the Isles may be similar to what they were last year, but that means the team has the ability to upgrade at the deadline or in the middle of the season to make them better. Not a guarantee, but now that we have draft picks and an abundance of forwards, it may be more feasible this year.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think I read that Burnside was an Isles fan growing up. Not only is he laughably misinformed, he's a ****ing traitor too. LeBrun is decent, Burnside is a tool. I think Burnside hangs out with Ray Ferraro and Glenn Healy, the bitter loser trio.
There was a time when he used to lean our way with typical crumbs like, "I think this is theyear they surprise everyone," and so on.

Not now. Him, LeBrun, etc.... all they can do is take cheap shots rooted in 10 year old material. The bright side is if you bet on JT landing as an Islander again after his first UFA contract it will be those guys that get you some fat odds, and big money in your pocket when he is an Islander, as always.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
And when the hell was Matt martin ever a 'key piece' of this team?

The second he left.

You guys haven't figured it out yet? It doesn't matter what the Islanders do, it will be painted as the wrong decision. They probably had two pieces written, waiting to see what happened. One, talking about how the Islanders overpayed for a 4th liner and still don't have a winger for JT..... and another stating how losing MM will collapse the team.

Ever notice how Islander players are portrayed as scraps intil they become UFA's signed by other teams? Remember when the Islanders were stupid for letting Matt Moulson walk? Streit? Trading AMac?

No one watches the Islanders, they just go along with the narrative.

Doc Holliday

Jun 30, 2008
The second he left.

You guys haven't figured it out yet? It doesn't matter what the Islanders do, it will be painted as the wrong decision. They probably had two pieces written, waiting to see what happened. One, talking about how the Islanders overpayed for a 4th liner and still don't have a winger for JT..... and another stating how losing MM will collapse the team.

Ever notice how Islander players are portrayed as scraps intil they become UFA's signed by other teams? Remember when the Islanders were stupid for letting Matt Moulson walk? Streit? Trading AMac?

this right here.:handclap::handclap:

you sir nailed it.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
The second he left.

You guys haven't figured it out yet? It doesn't matter what the Islanders do, it will be painted as the wrong decision. They probably had two pieces written, waiting to see what happened. One, talking about how the Islanders over payed for a 4th liner and still don't have a winger for JT..... and another stating how losing MM will collapse the team.

winning consistently will fix this, for the most part.

of course, there will always be Rags fans who will diss everything we do. there are some Leaf fans who hate us because we beat them up in the 2002 playoffs. and same with Pens fans, who have nightmares about T. Gillies.

and this is acceptable. even preferable. spice is the spice of life ;)

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Steve Levy picked the Isles to win the Metro...all other ESPN staff picked Washington except one who picked the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad