Salary Cap: Escrow is a Dirty Word in NHL Dressing Rooms

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pretty good article on escrow in The Athletic.

Why the NHL's salary cap is actually unlikely to rise much...

The escrow problem
SEASONPER-TEAM HRR GROWTHESCROW WITHHOLDINGESCROW RETURNED
2013-148.90%14.00%3.70%
2014-157.60%15.00%2.10%
2015-163.00%17.00%3.30%
2016-178.00%15.50%2.80%
2017-186.20%11.50%3.00%
2018-194.70%11.50%TBD
2019-20TBD14.00%TBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This isn't really a problem. This is basic math. The players were stupid for continually applying the escalator to the salary cap. All it did was take money out of the pockets of players already under contract and transfer it to players who were negotiating new contracts.

Hey NHLPA, you might want to figure this out and tell your members they get 50% of the hockey related revenue. Increasing the total cap of all NHL teams to some number greater than 50% of HRR means guess what? ESCROW!

The one issue that is almost always forgotten in calculating HRR is the value of the Candian dollar. The U.S. economy despite the latest corona virus "crisis" (it's not) is very strong. Economists are expecting a drop in the Canadian dollar to 0.70 of a U.S. dollar. That is not good news for the salary cap.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Does the escrow money get returned to the players at some point? Like after the season once the financials are settled and the league is shown to be profitable?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That's why the hard cap doesn't work. For the players. Nobody wants to sacrifice for the greater good. The players that already have their big contract, they don't want to give up more of their money. The players that haven't hit free agency yet, want a chance to have to give back more money, since they'll still get more money overall than they previously had.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's why the hard cap doesn't work. For the players. Nobody wants to sacrifice for the greater good. The players that already have their big contract, they don't want to give up more of their money. The players that haven't hit free agency yet, want a chance to have to give back more money, since they'll still get more money overall than they previously had.
The hard cap works for the owners and the NHL. The players need to figure it out for themselves.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Escrow is the biggest scam going.
How so? The players, and especially their agents know the players are going to get 50% of the HRR every season. The players wanted the cap escalator clause in the CBA so UFAs could get more money when they signed. The players, and especially their agents, should have realized the guys getting new contracts were doing so at the expense of the players already under contract. Use of the escalator clause is on the players. No one was holding a gun to their heads every year they voted to use it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Does the escrow money get returned to the players at some point? Like after the season once the financials are settled and the league is shown to be profitable?
As the table shows in the "Escrow Returned" column the owners return money in escrow to the players until they have paid out 50% of the HRR. Take the 2017-18 season for example. The owner's put in escrow 11.5% of player salaries. When the final HRR numbers were tallied for that season the owners returned 3% of the 11.5% that was kept in escrow.

In effect, for the 2017-18 season, every NHL player took a haircut of an 8.5% reduction in their gross pay, because the NHL did not make enough HRR for 50% of it to cover their combined salaries.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
How so? The players, and especially their agents know the players are going to get 50% of the HRR every season. The players wanted the cap escalator clause in the CBA so UFAs could get more money when they signed. The players, and especially their agents, should have realized the guys getting new contracts were doing so at the expense of the players already under contract. Use of the escalator clause is on the players. No one was holding a gun to their heads every year they voted to use it.

Just like taxes. I can do more with a dollar that isn't in limbo or taken prematurely. Duh.

Ever think about that? The US government demands you pay first. In what other world do you pay up front for corrupt, and shitty performance?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just like taxes. I can do more with a dollar that isn't in limbo or taken prematurely. Duh.

Ever think about that? The US government demands you pay first. In what other world do you pay up front for corrupt, and shitty performance?

Okay, I don't understand your post at all. The CBA calls for an escrow account which holds funds to cover the amount players are over in the total amount of their contracts of the 50% HRR threshold. There is nothing shady about it at all. Until the accountants of both sides get together and determine the HRR amount for a season, the players and owners can't settle up and each get their 50/50 split of HRR. It isn't a hard concept to understand.

The U.S. government demands you pay your taxes as money is earned. If you are paying your taxes up front and don't owe something on April 15, well you gave them too much of your money, and that's on you.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Is there a league that does a salary cap well?
Is there a league where all teams are financially healthy without a salary cap? Some teams manage the cap well, and others don't. That is the GM's fault.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Is there a league where all teams are financially healthy without a salary cap? Some teams manage the cap well, and others don't. That is the GM's fault.
Quite. The alternative is they have a cap that goes down on a regular or periodic basis when revenues fall short of expected numbers which wouldn’t work for anyone. The only way that works is if contracts are not guaranteed. Players cannot have it both ways.

I have little sympathy as when the next CBA comes up, the focus will again be on star players making maximum numbers. Things like minimum numbers, the benevolent fund, head injuries etc will all be secondary issues when they should all fall behind getting more money for established players.

Both sides need to start by giving up more money for the benevolent fund and historical injuries and health issues but I digress.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
How do front loaded contracts affect the cap? Especially if the player retires before finishing his deal.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How do front loaded contracts affect the cap? Especially if the player retires before finishing his deal.

They don't at all. To my understanding. Though to be honest, this is the aspect of hockey business I'm most woefully ignorant and don't understand. The escrow stuff confuses me.

The cap is based on revenue, not profit.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Quite. The alternative is they have a cap that goes down on a regular or periodic basis when revenues fall short of expected numbers which wouldn’t work for anyone. The only way that works is if contracts are not guaranteed. Players cannot have it both ways.

I have little sympathy as when the next CBA comes up, the focus will again be on star players making maximum numbers. Things like minimum numbers, the benevolent fund, head injuries etc will all be secondary issues when they should all fall behind getting more money for established players.

Both sides need to start by giving up more money for the benevolent fund and historical injuries and health issues but I digress.

We are about to see this play out in the NFL CBA negotiations.

Reactions: Statto

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
They don't at all. To my understanding. Though to be honest, this is the aspect of hockey business I'm most woefully ignorant and don't understand. The escrow stuff confuses me.

The cap is based on revenue, not profit.
Ok I meant escrow. If a team has a higher payroll than cap hit, wouldn’t escrow have to be taken to make sure all the teams only pay the actual dollars total?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ok I meant escrow. If a team has a higher payroll than cap hit, wouldn’t escrow have to be taken to make sure all the teams only pay the actual dollars total?
When it comes to escrow, I don't think the NHL cares about the cap hit. Escrow comes entirely from the players pay checks and is a percentage calculated by a formula in the CBA.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Okay, I don't understand your post at all. The CBA calls for an escrow account which holds funds to cover the amount players are over in the total amount of their contracts of the 50% HRR threshold. There is nothing shady about it at all. Until the accountants of both sides get together and determine the HRR amount for a season, the players and owners can't settle up and each get their 50/50 split of HRR. It isn't a hard concept to understand.

The U.S. government demands you pay your taxes as money is earned. If you are paying your taxes up front and don't owe something on April 15, well you gave them too much of your money, and that's on you.

No. I get it. Escrow and withholdings are nothing more than profiteering.

Edit: Think about it like this: there are potentially excellent investments that occur every day. How are you supposed to take advantage when you don't have liquid assets?

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No. I get it. Escrow and withholdings are nothing more than profiteering.

Edit: Think about it like this: there are potentially excellent investments that occur every day. How are you supposed to take advantage when you don't have liquid assets?

It's in escrow, hence frozen. No one is profiteering off that money until it's released. It's not like the NHL is withholding a portion of it and making money off it.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad