Proposal: Erik Karlsson to WPG

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Not intressted in paying what Ottawa wants. We would be in same situation as Ottawa would be today. Karlsson buff and Myers maybe even Trouba if Ottawa wants Laine as main piece.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Love how everyone rags on Edmonton for paying Drai, but yet Laine is somehow worth just as much after having one good season as well. What happened to players having to earn big money deals? One good year should not equate to a contract over 3-4 million for anyone other than the (and I hate to say it) "generational talents"

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's going to need to hurt more than this. There needs to be a feeling of getting punched in the gut over who you gave up.

At that point don't you just roll the dice on signing him? Idea is to add him to what you have as a team, not gut your team for him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
You only mentioned the two items of lesser value and in no way was I saying the trade would be made as-is. The reason the trade doesn't hurt us is:

1. I'm satisfied with our current top 6 and think we can lose a Roslovic type player
2. We're getting a better RD to replace Trouba
3. We can afford to give up 1st round picks at this point

GM's look at what benefits their team the most, not what hurts the other team. Also, these aren't players I want to trade, losing them just wouldn't ruin our future. If the Sens are looking to get a 1C for Karlsson, I don't see a trade working. If they want any mix of a top line winger (Ehlers/Laine/Wheeler), top pairing RD, first round pick, or prospect there can be a deal made.

Personally, I disagree with a few of your opinions here (but that's fine I guess).

1st, no way would I (or any team really but that's my opinion) trade a young potential star winger (Ehlers / Laine), a top pairing RD, and a 1st round pick for a RD with 1.5 years on his contract. Karlsson is great, but he's not worth that considering his contract situation.

2nd, I disagree in regards to the concept that any team really can "afford" to give up 1st round picks. You need top young talent coming up your system so they can be contributors while only being paid their ELC's. Here you are committing a double whammy, we're losing a young player earning less, and losing a player we need to come up into the system to replace them for an EXTREAMLY short window with Karlsson.

Karlsson would be the Jets best player (when healthy), but that doesn't mean we should mortgage the future (and lose roster players now) to add a RHD to Buff, Trouba, and Myers.

I have no interest in re-creating the problem that Ottawa created for themselves when they moved Turris and futures for Duchene.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With the asking prices from Ottawa in this thread. I really hope the Jets are on Karlsson's no trade list.
no doubt

Ek65 is an extraordinary player. the health concerns are real though mixed in with the massive contract and high-end pieces given up for 1.5 years of his service, i doubt the jets touch this.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

broc

Dec 20, 2010
For how Laine has been playing this season... he's not worth 10 or 11 million to be honest

Oh, you mean on pace for 40 goals as a 19 year old?

Nice try getting a career of who should be a top 3 winger for the next decade , for a rental of EK.

Reading through this thread, it’s shocking what ppl are expecting other team to give to rent Karlsson. No one is gutting their team for a rental, no matter who it is.

Laine? Give it up. You think the Leafs would give Matthews? Philly and Jersey wouldn’t give Hischier or Patrick straight up for Karlsson.

Just like Laine.. Schiefele’s name being mentioned is LOL worthy. He has waaaay more value than Karlsson. People don’t factor contract status or age in this thread apparently.

You’re not getting any top 10 caliber 18-19 year old player in return for a rental. Especially when you consider what EK has been hinting his next salary should be. Some of these proposals should be cut in half. Otherwise no one will pay, and EK walks for nothing.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
You only mentioned the two items of lesser value and in no way was I saying the trade would be made as-is. The reason the trade doesn't hurt us is:

1. I'm satisfied with our current top 6 and think we can lose a Roslovic type player

GM's look at what benefits their team the most, not what hurts the other team. Also, these aren't players I want to trade, losing them just wouldn't ruin our future. If the Sens are looking to get a 1C for Karlsson, I don't see a trade working. If they want any mix of a top line winger (Ehlers/Laine/Wheeler), top pairing RD, first round pick, or prospect there can be a deal made.

I only mentioned the two lesser items as it is fairly obvious that the main piece is not enough, as you said EK is an upgrade on JT. I wasnt suggesting that it has to hurt the other, my comment on the trade not hurting the Jets was simply as a measuring stick for value.

If I was Winnipeg I wouldnt be seriously considering a trade for EK, the team is awesome and removing critical pieces like a top line winger and top pairing RD would hurt.

Fans of Winnipeg have waited too long to have a good team, and in my mind those fans deserve it! I have always had a soft spot for Jets fans, we came close to losing our team in the 90's and that was an awful time for us.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trouba isn't good enough

He’s not being offered. Take a look in the thread, as a whole Jets fans have zero interest in offering anything until EK is signed long term. Not giving up anything of value for 1.5 years of EK. Once EK resigns with the Sens give us a call and we can talk. Depending on his contract would depend on what he returns. No contract, no interest.

Yes I know you’re a Leaf fan and not a Sens fan.

Reactions: Snowman

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Teams don’t make trades that “hurt them”, trades are done that are mutually beneficial.

Making the OP trade with EK contract status is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of......Chevy wouldn’t do that trade in a million years.....never mind trading more away like your suggesting.

Reactions: Snowman

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Ottawa laughs at this proposal. One of Wheeler Schiefley or Laine going back would pretty much be a minimum here
If Ottawa had the advantage, sure. But they don't.

Let's not pretend like Ottawa didn't just get bent over sideways in that Duchene trade. Keep that in mind and be glad you're actually getting some quality in this trade.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Getting mixed signals here.

The thread and whole concept of chevy paying up big time for 1.5 yrs of EK is a dumb idea. We haven’t spent the last couple years rebuilding & stocking the shelves to blow it all on a 1.5 term contract for a player who would slot into our strongest/deepest position arguably (RHD) and offer us the least improvement in relation to other areas we in theory should upgrade in. Such a poorly thought out idea.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
A
If Ottawa had the advantage, sure. But they don't.

Let's not pretend like Ottawa didn't just get bent over sideways in that Duchene trade. Keep that in mind and be glad you're actually getting some quality in this trade.
Aint a Sens fan bub im just making it even even with calculating advtg

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
for 1.5 years of karlsson ? id do wheeler myers + 1st, now if were talking a resigned karlsson then idk

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Far too much for 1.5 years of Karlsson, If he were dealt i'd be totally surprised if he signed long term with said team. When he could command tons of money on the open market.

Agreed

Absolutely zero interest in EK with 1.5 years before he bolts to get his “big raise” like he claims he deserves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad