Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
One goal so far this season is as many as Vlassic. Agree he has played better but he is still sloppy and creates bad odd man rushes with turnovers.
He’s also generally one of the further from the net so goals is a bad indicator. Like honestly the worst possible indicator you could pick.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
One goal so far this season is as many as Vlassic. Agree he has played better but he is still sloppy and creates bad odd man rushes with turnovers.

Funny you say this when Burns, Ferraro, and Vlasic have been worse with turnovers and bad defensive play the past six games.

Danvilleshark

Mar 10, 2021
He’s also generally one of the further from the net so goals is a bad indicator. Like honestly the worst possible indicator you could pick.
He is on the first unit PP so goals is a fair indicator. He is an offensive puck moving D man not a shut down D man. I dont expect his to score as many goals as a forward but one goal this season is not cutting it. You are OK with one goal so far?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Bad D play is a team wide problem. Burns has been a turnover machine for more than this season.

Bad D play is a team problem yet you only single out Karlsson for what you call "sloppy" play, which in reality has been his best defense in two years.

Danvilleshark

Mar 10, 2021
So you agree he's been playing great or not? When you first responded to me you thought he hadn't.
I was asking by what measure. Points is a fair measure. I think he is playing better and the number support that. Five games is a very small sample size but if this continues then yes he will have turned the corner.

Danvilleshark

Mar 10, 2021
Bad D play is a team problem yet you only single out Karlsson for what you call "sloppy" play, which in reality has been his best defense in two years.
The Sharks have sub par goalie and defensive play. This is not just EK65 but his contract is the longest most expensive. If they could dump Jones, Vlassic, Burns and Karlsson they could begin the too longed delayed rebuild that they need.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So i also now have to point out the same thing i said for burns. People on this board as shark fans are spoiled and become to expect historic seasons to be regular seasons.

Most here applaud a 1st line center for posting 50 points as a good season by them. But when a defenseman posts the same numbers oh they don't score enough.

When the heck did the roles reverse and the expectations change from 1st line centers should be the highest point producer to defenseman should be?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I was asking by what measure. Points is a fair measure. I think he is playing better and the number support that. Five games is a very small sample size but if this continues then yes he will have turned the corner.

You didn't think he was playing better. Your first reply to me was "Where is this continue to play great coming from? You have to first do something before you can continue."

Danvilleshark

Mar 10, 2021
You didn't think he was playing better. Your first reply to me was "Where is this continue to play great coming from? You have to first do something before you can continue."
Five games is a very small sample size. He has not been back long enough to honestly access his play. I think the five game performance is an outlier. Time will tell but if this continues then I agree that he has turned the corner.

Danvilleshark

Mar 10, 2021
EK65 has played 755 career games and has 136 goals in that time.
His goal scoring rate per game has dropped significantly since coming to San Jose
His final season in Ottawa was telling.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
His goal scoring rate per game has dropped significantly since coming to San Jose

You're really worried about the difference between that 15 goals per 82 games and 6.4 per 82 games in San Jose? Yeah, it's a drop but it's not the most important determining factor for assessing play level.

Reactions: Gecklund

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

You are so stuck on 1 minor aspect of a defensemens actual contributions to the team and it is hurting your argument.

He has been hands down the best player on the sharks in the past 5 games and all you can see is the 1 goal.

Reactions: Hatrick Marleau

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I think usually Offensive D-men are more known for their assist count, rather than goals count. As D-men don't get that much high danger opportunities as forwards do.
If EK65 by the end of season has 1 goal and like 45-55 assists, I'm happy. Of course its great to have more goals, but as long as he commands the game with his playmaking he plays up to his contract.

Reactions: Hatrick Marleau
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad