Speculation: Erik Karlsson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He’s also fragile - like almost Sami Salo territory these days. I hate to say it as he’s a real cool guy but there should be better options than having Strals for like 40 healthy games followed by 20 terrible games because of injuries and 20 missed games due to injuries.

That's the pattern, yeah. But he's a righty and he's UFA. That's a recipe for a terrible contract. I really think he's going to be Kyle Dubas's next over-payment, if only to keep Babcock happy with a vet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Re-sign Coburn for cheap if Stralman wants a payday. He may actually want to stay around and he's a viable partner for Sergachev on that bottom pair

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving any of our UFA defenders more than a 1 year deal. In a league starving for competent defenseman they will almost certainly land somewhere else.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving any of our UFA defenders more than a 1 year deal. In a league starving for competent defenseman they will almost certainly land somewhere else.

Coburn's the only guy I think we might bring back. He's good in his role, but his role has been reduced to the point that we could probably get him at a fair price.

I guess everything is hinged on Karlsson. If we get him, it's not the end of the world if our bottom pairing is weak and/or inexperienced.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Miller has a finishers touch though, and was in the dog house with Vigneault in New York. Not to mention, one of those goals was the Game winner to put away Boston last year. Gourde doesn't have a finishers touch despite his goal totals, and his most memorable playoff moment is not being able to put a puck in a wide open net game 7 vs the caps while it was on the goal line.

And biggest factor for me is Miller can win draws and has size, we don't need another guy under 5"10. I also said 50 points on the high end for the kids, but if Joseph can pot 13 goals and 26 points playing 4th line, how could they not pot 40 points playing top 6 mins and some power play? All while being on the ice with Hedman, Karlsson, Mcdonagh, Cernak at almost all times.
Hahah are you kidding me with this, do you think any asshole can just jump into the league and score 20-30 goals? Where the hell do you get "he doesn't have a finishing touch"? I can't believe some of the things I read on here.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Hahah are you kidding me with this, do you think any ******* can just jump into the league and score 20-30 goals? Where the hell do you get "he doesn't have a finishing touch"? I can't believe some of the things I read on here.
Lol yikes, I'd say majority of Gourde's goals are around the net. And yeah, a lot of players make careers on being goal scorers like that, not saying thats all gourde is, but he doenst have crazy hands or shot. Alex Chiasson on Edmonton had 22 goals this season doing just that just so you know.

I've seen skill from Miller with his shot and hands that Gourde simply doesnt have. He has the case of his hands cant keep up with his feet. Check the goal Miller is celebrating in my profile pic if you even know when its from. Also had unreal snipes vs Philly and Montreal this past season i can remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Lol yikes, I'd say majority of Gourde's goals are around the net. And yeah, a lot of players make careers on being goal scorers like that, not saying thats all gourde is, but he doenst have crazy hands or shot. Alex Chiasson on Edmonton had 22 goals this season doing just that just so you know.

I've seen skill from Miller with his shot and hands that Gourde simply doesnt have. He has the case of his hands cant keep up with his feet. Check the goal Miller is celebrating in my profile pic if you even know when its from. Also had unreal snipes vs Philly and Montreal this past season i can remember off the top of my head.
Gourde is overachieving because of his heart, Miller is underachieving due to the same reason IMO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde is overachieving because of his heart, Miller is underachieving due to the same reason IMO.

They've both been pretty bad come playoff time.

Gourde scores a lot by going to dirty areas. Those areas get extra dirty in the playoffs and he struggles to get the same chances. He gets physically handled a lot. It reminded me a bit of Namestnikov, except with Vlad, it happened all year long.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Give me the over achieving heart instead. Dirty goals win games. Gourde has just as many playoff goals as Miller now and in like 40 less games. Gourde can still figure everything out. It's easy to get down on the guy because he goes invisible but so too does everyone else

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Give me the over achieving heart instead. Dirty goals win games. Gourde has just as many playoff goals as Miller now and in like 40 less games. Gourde can still figure everything out. It's easy to get down on the guy because he goes invisible but so too does everyone else

The difference with Gourde is you can see what's happening to him onscreen. He's getting outmuscled/abused in spots where normally he has a lot more room to work.

I think Gourde still has a lot of value; I just think it's a long shot that his playoff performances will ever match his regular seasons. I'm not saying we should be giving him away, or even that we should move him, but I just think we need to be honest about what he is/isn't.

I also just wouldn't be shocked if we wind up going into this season not-so stacked on the wings. Whether it's Karlsson or somebody else, I think we'll wind up stacking the blueline, and we're already stacked down the middle. I think it'll come at the expense of a winger or two, and Gourde's a pretty good candidate to go, given his NTC and playoff struggles.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
The difference with Gourde is you can see what's happening to him onscreen. He's getting outmuscled/abused in spots where normally he has a lot more room to work.

I think Gourde still has a lot of value; I just think it's a long shot that his playoff performances will ever match his regular seasons. I'm not saying we should be giving him away, or even that we should move him, but I just think we need to be honest about what he is/isn't.

I also just wouldn't be shocked if we wind up going into this season not-so stacked on the wings. Whether it's Karlsson or somebody else, I think we'll wind up stacking the blueline, and we're already stacked down the middle. I think it'll come at the expense of a winger or two, and Gourde's a pretty good candidate to go, given his NTC and playoff struggles.
I don't think there are many players that do match their regular season rate in the playoffs, and let's keep in mind that his playoff sample size is still relatively small. Last year was his first time in the playoffs, and this year he had a whopping 4 games to prove himself. Even when he's not producing, he's still tenacious on the puck and a pest to play against.

JT Miller on the other hand... I've been one of his biggest defenders but his playoff numbers really speak for themselves. When the going gets tough he folds. He's had extended runs with 2 good teams and never produced. Just watching him float around out there kills me - it's like he doesn't know where he's supposed to be. He's got the talent (and I still would take him over 2 Namestnikovs), but something is missing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think there are many players that do match their regular season rate in the playoffs, and let's keep in mind that his playoff sample size is still relatively small. Last year was his first time in the playoffs, and this year he had a whopping 4 games to prove himself. Even when he's not producing, he's still tenacious on the puck and a pest to play against.

JT Miller on the other hand... I've been one of his biggest defenders but his playoff numbers really speak for themselves. When the going gets tough he folds. He's had extended runs with 2 good teams and never produced. Just watching him float around out there kills me - it's like he doesn't know where he's supposed to be.

Agreed on Miller.

With Gourde, I think it would be different if he were 21 or 22, or maybe even 25. But at 28, he's not going to get lot stronger, and his size really does come into play once interference becomes a standard part of the game. Like, Johnson's a north-south shooter, so size only becomes an issue when he plays along the boards (Johnson's lower body seems very strong for his size too). Gourde's bread and butter is along the boards and in front of the net. And it just seems like that aspect of his game gets totally nullified once the referees put their whistles away and tugging and grabbing become part of the game. I agree that it's a small sample size; it just seems like a problem experience isn't going to solve, similar to Namestnikov's case.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Damn 8y/11m AAV, If he says no to that its hard to say that he doesn't want to be here for cheaper AAV.
Yep did you think the sharks would just let him walk without a massive offer . There putting there cards on the table and will make the best offer it’s up to karlsson.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He will be a rich man no matter where he signs. It's about does he want that much more or will winning factor into his decisions? I mean could you imagine a healthy Erik Karlsson on this team?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
He will be a rich man no matter where he signs. It's about does he want that much more or will winning factor into his decisions? I mean could you imagine a healthy Erik Karlsson on this team?

Yes, he'll be rich where ever he signs, but the Sharks ARE contenders right now and that extra year on a contract can be very appealing, especially since he's had some injury issues. But yeah, it would be fun to have EK on the team, even if it would probably mean that Sergachev would be gone.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yes, he'll be rich where ever he signs, but the Sharks ARE contenders right now and that extra year on a contract can be very appealing, especially since he's had some injury issues. But yeah, it would be fun to have EK on the team, even if it would probably mean that Sergachev would be gone.
That extra year was appealing to stamkos and us being a contender over Toronto at the time

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

True. His team was a win away from cup final. While we were swept in first round. :ha:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad