Confirmed with Link: Erik Karlsson named captain

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
phillyy_zps67817fe2.png

via @alxmrtl

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As someone already said, I don't think Phillips took offense to it as much as it was a harsh reminder that his career is pretty much done

It must be very painful

Definitely the worst part of being a pro athlete....or really for anyone who knows they're coming to an end of the best chapter of their lives.

I feel for the guy, for sure. But, even without a letter, he's still one of the guys in the room everyone goes to a looks for guidance. Nothing has changed there.

Another way to look at it, Phillips is quite lucky. He can play a little under the radar this year and be one of the few (in two years) who ends his career as a 1-team player. And his post-playing career is already ramping up with his business. He's in a great position to transition careers....a lot better than many players.

RadimBicanek

Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I was more inclinded to idea of no captain/alternating captains. I do think Phillips was more logical choice though. Still, go Sens go.

Karlsson2Turris*

It's be awesome if we could have Spezza somehow in there too. Not sure how that would work though.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
.......ouch

I didn't want Phillips to get the C, but man, that picture hits right in the feels. :(

You see, I just remind myself of how poorly Phillips played last year, and in 2010-11. As Nyquil said, his quality of play warranting him being the captain ended 3-4 years ago. Then I don't feel that bad.

I can imagine it must suck for Phillips though. As Do May Say Think said, it's a harsh reminder that his career is almost over. Pro Athletes are competitive guys, they have to be, but that can get in the way when it comes time to call it quits. Can hurt their team too. Look at Brodeur and how his play last year may have cost the Devils a legitimate shot at a playoff spot. And now he's just sitting around wanting a team to take a chance on him. Meanwhile, there's no reason to think Phillips not being named captain will stop MacLean from playing him in a top 4 role. MacLean loves vets, and loves Phillips and Neil :shakehead

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You see, I just remind myself of how poorly Phillips played last year, and in 2010-11. As Nyquil said, his quality of play warranting him being the captain ended 3-4 years ago. Then I don't feel that bad.

I can imagine it must suck for Phillips though. As Do May Say Think said, it's a harsh reminder that his career is almost over. Pro Athletes are competitive guys, they have to be, but that can get in the way when it comes time to call it quits. Can hurt their team too. Look at Brodeur and how his play last year may have cost the Devils a legitimate shot at a playoff spot. And now he's just sitting around wanting a team to take a chance on him. Meanwhile, there's no reason to think Phillips not being named captain will stop MacLean from playing him in a top 4 role. MacLean loves vets, and loves Phillips and Neil :shakehead

Definitely agreed. It's just a bit sad when it happens to a good person.

Not dissing the picture or anything, it's just that 'ouch' really was my first reaction to it.

Karlsson is like a son to Alfie but Phillips is a close friend.

And on one of the shows on 1200 they said that for years Philips was
the go to guy in the locker room . He deserved to be captain but time has passed him by.

He is a total professional and will handle it well, but you cant help but feel for him.

Well said.

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
.......ouch

I didn't want Phillips to get the C, but man, that picture hits right in the feels. :(

Karlsson is like a son to Alfie but Phillips is a close friend.

And on one of the shows on 1200 they said that for years Philips was
the go to guy in the locker room . He deserved to be captain but time has passed him by.

He is a total professional and will handle it well, but you cant help but feel for him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I agree. Being able to photoshop does not justify simply being an ass. Phillips has been a soldier for the team for many years and he does not deserve crap like this.

It amazes me how quickly people are to throw a guy under the bus here. Phillips could go down as the most loyal Senator since the club's reincarnation.

Its hard not to chuckle at that picture though, and immediately feel bad.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
So I googled " Daniel Alfredsson god " on google.. Was not disapointed :

Alfie-as-God.jpg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I agree. Being able to photoshop does not justify simply being an ass. Phillips has been a soldier for the team for many years and he does not deserve crap like this.

can't teach maturity over night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad