57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
FO %'s;

2013-14 - 46%

2014-15 - 45%

2015-16 - 54%

We are far enough along now that we have a large sample size. Haula must've worked hard on FO's over the summer. He has a higher FO % than Stoll, and is creeping up on Koivu. Good for you, Erik!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
25-35 points from the 3rd line with >50% face offs and continued elite PK skills would be a great place for him to settle into. Get him a nice little payday too.

Hope he can keep it up.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Since Yeo was fired Haula has 2 goals, 5 assist and a +5 rating in 4 games.

Another beauty set-up for Nino's goal against the Hawks. The whole line along with Pommer is playing extremely well. Way to go Erik!

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Word is that there is dissension in the Wild locker room. All the vets want to play with Erik:D

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's gone from being a throw in at the TDL to untradeable. The latter because of how good and how important he is to the team ( our best PK'er and possibly best shutdown forward), while his underwhelming stats make him out to be nothing more than a borderline3rd/4th liner( though I would guess scouts/GM's will be in the know about his special abilities) to the uninitiated.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
He's gone from being a throw in at the TDL to untradeable. The latter because of how good and how important he is to the team ( our best PK'er and possibly best shutdown forward), while his underwhelming stats make him out to be nothing more than a borderline3rd/4th liner( though I would guess scouts/GM's will be in the know about his special abilities) to the uninitiated.

He's also rocking all of $1 million/year contract, can't part with that kind of a deal on a cap-team like us.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
An improved Haula can only help this team.

Would be nice to have a real decision to make to Granlund versus Haula.

Would also make a Brodin/Dumba+Granlund/Haula trade a lot more interesting.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Been really great seeing Haula play the way he has. He's playing like he did that year in the playoffs.

The challenge now will be to sustain it, and have it not be another flash in the pan.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Been really great seeing Haula play the way he has. He's playing like he did that year in the playoffs.

The challenge now will be to sustain it, and have it not be another flash in the pan.

I think he's even said that he feels as good as he did that year in the playoffs.

Good for Haula and I love having him centering that third line. Don't change a thing with those three.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I also suspect he might be Kryptonite to Super Patrick. He has the speed and agility to keep up with him, and can take advantage of Kane's defensive lapses. Not so much if he is playing with Pominville, though.

Last edited:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
So how many games Haula has to tear before we upgrade his prospects?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So how many games Haula has to tear before we upgrade his prospects?

I still think it's 'finish the year strong'. Maybe not 16 points in 22 games strong, but ~10-12 in the last 23, with continued defense/PK. Stay noticeable game in and game out, even if it's not translating into points.

If he does that, I don't have an issue giving him another crack at starting in the #3C spot next year. Hopefully he can hold it this time.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I still think it's 'finish the year strong'. Maybe not 16 points in 22 games strong, but ~10-12 in the last 23, with continued defense/PK. Stay noticeable game in and game out, even if it's not translating into points.

If he does that, I don't have an issue giving him another crack at starting in the #3C spot next year. Hopefully he can hold it this time.

Well lets hope he doesn't get a concussion again.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well lets hope he doesn't get a concussion again.

maybe take a break from international play. Rest for a while then get in shape over the summer. He looks noticeably stronger,faster and more balanced than he did last year. I don't know how much that has to do with conditioning, confidence,or?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
maybe take a break from international play. Rest for a while then get in shape over the summer. He looks noticeably stronger,faster and more balanced than he did last year. I don't know how much that has to do with conditioning, confidence,or?

Ya, I'm not sure. He definitely came in fat last offseason and it showed pretty quickly. Then again, he was still getting tossed around with Brodziak on who was 3C and who was 4C. I would graciously like to see him get the 3C spot and bring in Graovac for the 4C if a Top C cannot be traded for OR signed in the offseason.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Again, even after Yeo was let go Haula credited him for giving him more chances. This isn't a Yeo/Torch thing, Haula was beginning to play better even before Yeo was let go.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
rik Haula has forced himself into being part of the conversation of one of the more important players on the team. Why? Haula has already proven to be able to play a bunch of different styles of games. Haula came up using his wheels in the bottom 6 to pounce against other teams bottom 6...the defensive side of Haula's game needed work before he could be relied on for any real role though. By the time the playoffs rolled around, Haula was Mike Yeo's antidote to Nathan Mackinnon and the speed and skill on that line that was dominating the Wild. Haula proved himself remarkably well, all but shutting down Mackinnon and skating right with one of the faster players in the league....while still keeping things simple offensively and using his speed to generate chances.

Mike Yeo realized the weapon he had in Haula. Haula's speed makes him elite on the PK both in defending and generating chances with his ability to beat flat footed D to pucks that get behind them and also to close time and space in the neutral zone. He bounced around in the bottom 6 because he was a Center who couldn't win faceoffs. Haula was however still the shut down guy that the Wild used to neutralize other teams fastest and most skilled players. Playing in that role, Yeo really didn't want Haula to try and do too much offensively. With heavy offensive zone starts and a job to basically make sure you don't get scored on, get the puck, get it deep, and change...Haula's confidence offensively seemed to really falter.

This year, even before Yeo was fired. Things have begun to change. Haula, especially with the addition of Pominville on his line, has began to make an impact offensively adding to his defensive presence and PK ability. Haula recently for the past 30 games or so has been using his speed to be an offensive threat and to be a lot more aggressively offensively. In Haula's last 28 g he's scored 20 pts (7g13ast) and +15. If Haula were to perform at this level for a full season, he'd be on pace to score 20 g's 40 ast's and 60 points. He's also become an above average guy in the dot, winning over 50% of his draws. While still being arguably the Wild's best forward PKer and using his speed to shut down opposing skill...as seen by the +15.

Now, I'm not saying that Erik Haula is going to ever score 60 points in his career. But it's not like this offensive success is unheard of for Haula. Haula was a PPG player for the Gophers in College. He also scored 27 points in 31 games in the AHL. In Haula's rookie season in his final 43 games including 13 playoff games he scored 20 points, which would be about 19g and 19ast over a full season. That includes a the final 10 games fighting for the playoffs and 13 playoff games (23 games) where Haula scored 15 points (7g 8 ast). That would be a pace of 53 points 25 goals and 28 assists.

Now those are all just cherry picked chunks of games, but it does look like Haula's sophomore slump is well past him or at least he has turned some sort of corner. If Haula continues to play the way that he has during the last 28 games over the final 17...he'll finish with around 13g and 22 ast for 35 points while leading the team in +/-. With some continued improvement, it's not that hard to see Haula being a 15g 25 ast 40 point player while playing a crucial shut down role.

Haula is one of the more valuable players on the Wild. His elite speed and thus defensive and PK skills matched with him improving himself into an above average faceoff guy that's an offensive threat. I think we have found Wes Walz v. 2.0. Pencil Haula in playing a crucial role as 3rd line Center for a long time.

Thoughts on Haula's potential? Overreacting to a hot streak? What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad