Player Discussion Erik Gustafsson

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know we all worry about our GM being a dinosaur in building the team but this signing is a very good sign that Drury understood some of our problems. Imagine how poorly mobile this D would have been without Fox he wasn't signed.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I know we all worry about our GM being a dinosaur in building the team but this signing is a very good sign that Drury understood some of our problems. Imagine how poorly mobile this D would have been without Fox he wasn't signed.

while it was a great signing i wonder if he would've done it without Laviolette suggesting it

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Gus has been aces and they need to talk extension with him. The unfortunate reality though, is that there may not be room for Gus and Lindgren with the contracts they are going to command.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Please re-sign

Also, in Drury's first deadline he hit the nail on the head with the guys he added. Last year it almost felt like there was some outside pressure that mandated he go after KAne but Tarasenko and Mikkola were great adds.
it's an absolute must.

Even if that forces Drury to buyout Goodrow.

2x2.5?

Lindgren should not cost that much either tbh. He is an absolute 0 at offense. He should be paid like a #5.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I was thinking term may be best for him as well. 3 x $2.5-$2.75m

He would really help solidify the left side of the defense moving forward

Also, count me in the group that doesn't really love the idea of signing Lindgren to a long term deal so Gustafsson is a really nice, cheap, insurance policy there

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Gustafsson has been f***ing awesome.

I was kinda hoping Drury would attach Jones with Goodrow at the last draft for a pick. There were rumors they were looking to move Goodrow. Seeing how frugal GMs were this past summer it made sense there were no suitors if he was being shopped.

Kakko, Lindgren and Schneider will need new contracts this summer. Even with the cap going up... how much of a raise are those guys really gonna get? Maybe an extra ~million or so for each? They project the cap to go up by 4 million this coming summer. We'll see if that happens. That should cover their raises. Kreider and Trouba's clauses open up to a 15 team no trade list this summer, though none of the kids have displaced them yet. So they're going nowhere at the moment.

Other than Goodrow there's really nowhere else to trim money. I would compare with someone like Gostisbehere, Detroit gave him a 1 year +4mil $ deal in the offseason. This past summer might've been a bit of an anomaly with the flat cap. DeAngelo has went back and forth between rich and cheap deals. If Gus has a great year for us I wouldn't be surprised to see a team offer him a rich short deal. He hasn't made a ton of money, he might look to cash in. If he's willing to leave money on the table I'd give him Goodrows money in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I'd be more than happy with that if it means keeping his AAV down.

He will be 32 though. Gus at 35, I guess will be 'dumpable', if needed.
Pay the man. Pay the people who deserve it. No sense trying to gyp this guy and trying to do cheap. He's fit right in and brings a threat from the blue line and on the power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad