Player Discussion Erik Gustafsson: The "Don't Panic, It's Not Gudbranson" Edition

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not repeating things at this stage. Have a nice day
You don't have too...you're quotes are enough.

"We are not the only ones. However, the Leafs love those puck movers and see how far Sandin and Dermott got them when they made key errors that cost them the game? This is what the Habs are trying to avoid and it's all about little inexperienced mistakes that leads to Price being exposed.

I'm steering clear of trying to know more than our coaches. They got us to this point with their strategy"

Yikes...like comes at you fast!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't have too...you're quotes are enough.

"We are not the only ones. However, the Leafs love those puck movers and see how far Sandin and Dermott got them when they made key errors that cost them the game? This is what the Habs are trying to avoid and it's all about little inexperienced mistakes that leads to Price being exposed.

I'm steering clear of trying to know more than our coaches. They got us to this point with their strategy"

Yikes...like comes at you fast!

Comes down to Tampa being a different match-up challenge. Gusta and Merrill have not provided the same value that we got against the Knights so if we are worried about mistakes, it's equal concern so why not make the change?

Like I said, I was asking for the change after game 1.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Comes down to Tampa being a different match-up challenge. Gusta and Merrill have not provided the same value that we got against the Knights so if we are worried about mistakes, it's equal concern so why not make the change?

Like I said, I was asking for the change after game 1.
Disagree here...they're playing the exact same way.

It's just their mistakes are ending up in the back of our net instead of in Carey Price's glove or in the rafters because the Knights forwards couldn't hit the net.

The process has been the exact same - you just got caught up in results, it was obvious it would catch up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Disagree here...they're playing the exact same way.

It's just their mistakes are ending up in the back of our net instead of in Carey Price's glove or in the rafters because the Knights forwards couldn't hit the net.

The process has been the exact same - you just got caught up in results, it was obvious it would catch up.

I know you disagree. And I disagree with your spin on the whole situation. I'm focused on the match-up game. You can focus on whatever you are focused on and spins like "catastrophic"

Lets not repeat ourselves. Move on time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know you disagree. And I disagree with your spin on the whole situation. I'm focused on the match-up game. You can focus on whatever you are focused on and spins like "catastrophic"

Lets not repeat ourselves. Move on time
My point here isn't to expose your old takes - we all say things.

But you were adamant about not playing Romanov because he could make series changing mistakes like Sandin & Dermott. Those were your takes, feel free to search them in you want, you repeated it SEVERAL times over the first 3 rounds.

Now your tune has completely changed.

That's fine...but don't act like i'm spinning your own words (see below)

"It's becoming more and more clear and it's likely due to how we scored goals by the young kids mistakes on the Leafs (Sandin and Dermott).

Romanov is being groomed well. Lets stop questioning management cause we don't have to rush young guys anymore. Trust the process. Romanov has lots of potential but he is only 20 and is still learning on the job.

Final 4 is not the time to learn on the job."

These are your words - i'm not spinning anything.

At least own up to it.

A few weeks ago you said that Final 4 is not the time to learn on the job - now you're talking about how you wanted Romanov since game 2?

Please

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My point here isn't to expose your old takes - we all say things.

But you were adamant about not playing Romanov because he could make series changing mistakes like Sandin & Dermott. Those were your takes, feel free to search them in you want, you repeated it SEVERAL times over the first 3 rounds.

Now your tune has completely changed.

That's fine...but don't act like i'm spinning your own words (see below)

"It's becoming more and more clear and it's likely due to how we scored goals by the young kids mistakes on the Leafs (Sandin and Dermott).

Romanov is being groomed well. Lets stop questioning management cause we don't have to rush young guys anymore. Trust the process. Romanov has lots of potential but he is only 20 and is still learning on the job.

Final 4 is not the time to learn on the job."

These are your words - i'm not spinning anything.

At least own up to it.

A few weeks ago you said that Final 4 is not the time to learn on the job - now you're talking about how you wanted Romanov since game 2?

Please

I'm going to own up to your spin on things. Sorry.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Or we faced all the right opposition.
We could have faced any of those instead:
Carolina
Boston
Colorado
Islanders

etc.

There are many others teams we currently have little chance of winning a series against.

We tend to be good against teams that are top-heavy (1 good line) and/or slower. As soon as a team has 2 good lines it becomes much harder for us. And if they can skate with us, again, problem.

Vegas and Winnipeg are somewhat slow.
Toronto we were close to losing to them and they are top-heavy.

Are we winning against Edmonton if they beat Winnipeg? They are top-heavy, but they have some speed we can't match. Colorado after?

I call it the Byron measuring stick. When Byron is invisible, it means he can't out-skate the other team - we are in trouble. When Byron is a factor, we are in business because we add one 20-25 goal scorers - that's significant depth variations.

Look at last year during the play-in, we beat Pittsburgh (top-heavy and slow) and we lost to Philly, a deeper team--> confirms the trend.

We are relatively deep, we are relatively fast. We lack elite talent up front and offensively on the blue line to be a real Stanley contender. The path won't open like it did this year often.

Yeah,.. good thing MTL dodged Philly this year.... oh wait......?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm going to own up to your spin on things. Sorry.
How can I spin YOUR OWN QUOTE?

Series tied!

It's right there lol i'm not spinning anything.

A few weeks ago you were telling me how i'm not smarter than the coach and we shouldn't question their decisions or how you coached AAA hockey and you understand what they're doing and there's no need to rush Romano and blah blah blah.

Now you out here talkin' bout' "I wanted Romanov in after game 1".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How can I spin YOUR OWN QUOTE?

Series tied!

It's right there lol i'm not spinning anything.

A few weeks ago you were telling me how i'm not smarter than the coach and we shouldn't question their decisions.

Now you out here talkin' bout' "I wanted Romanov in after game 1".

Can't stress it enough... it's a match-up game and I supported it against the Jets and Knights but not Tampa. I see from day 1 that they posed a different challenge for us. So yes, I would have made the change but due to match-up and after what I saw in game 1.

Playoffs is about adjustments and I feel they took to long to adjust. You don't change when you win but when you loose, you should change. Especially when the reasons why Merrill/Gusta were in the line-up are no longer working.

So you might want to have the same game plan no matter the team but I don't. It comes down to that but you are on the nit pick game on what was said before but ignoring that we were winning and at that point in time, it was working.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Can't stress it enough... it's a match-up game and I supported it against the Jets and Knights but not Tampa. I see from day 1 that they posed a different challenge for us. So yes, I would have made the change but due to match-up and after what I saw in game 1.
Thing is...that wasn't your energy earlier. It wasn't about Romanov not playing because the Leafs/Jets/Knights were a bad matchup.

You fully supported him not playing and it was just because of potential mistakes he was apparently more prone too than Gustafsson and Merrill.

Now you're signing a different tune?

Maybe if you hadn't taken that smudge attitude back then, I would have let it slide.

But to see you come back here today and act like you wanted Romanov back in since after game 1.

Nah.

Playoffs is about adjustments and I feel they took to long to adjust. You don't change when you win but when you loose, you should change. Especially when the reasons why Merrill/Gusta were in the line-up are no longer working.
That's just a thing that's become a narrative - nothing prevents coaches from making changes after wins.

Matter of fact, changing things up after a win probably makes sure everyone stays on their toes.

But I get, you coached AAA hockey and this type of thinking is way too revolutionary.

"you don't make changes after a win"
"NHL is not a developmental league"
"rookies/young players are mistake prone"

Straight from the Toe Blake coaching handbook!

So you might want to have the same game plan no matter the team but I don't. It comes down to that but you are on the nit pick game on what was said before but ignoring that we were winning and at that point in time, it was working.
The only game plan I have is to dress the best and most optimal lineup for every game...at no point does that include Jon Merrill over any other Dman on this team.

If your evaluation was that Merrill deserved to be in the lineup ahead of anyone...then it explains why you're no longer coaching AAA hockey.

I'd rather see Ouelette than Merrill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thing is...that wasn't your energy earlier. It wasn't about Romanov not playing because the Leafs/Jets/Knights were a bad matchup.

You fully supported him not playing and it was just because of potential mistakes he was apparently more prone too than Gustafsson and Merrill.

Now you're signing a different tune?

Maybe if you hadn't taken that smudge attitude back then, I would have let it slide.

But to see you come back here today and act like you wanted Romanov back in since after game 1.

Nah.

That's just a thing that's become a narrative - nothing prevents coaches from making changes after wins.

Matter of fact, changing things up after a win probably makes sure everyone stays on their toes.

But I get, you coached AAA hockey and this type of thinking is way too revolutionary.

The only game plan I have is to dress the best and most optimal lineup for every game...at no point does that include Jon Merrill over any other Dman on this team.

If your evaluation was that Merrill deserved to be in the lineup ahead of anyone...then it explains why you're no longer coaching AAA hockey.

I'd rather see Ouelette than Merrill.

You go with what works until it doesn't. Gusta is turning it over way too much and not providing value on the PP so yes, There is no risks to playing the inexperienced Romanov. Merrill is not able to keep up with Tampa's forwards. So you try Kulak who is a better skater.

It's a different tune cause it's a different team and challenge. Duh

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You go with what works until it doesn't. Gusta is turning it over way too much and not providing value on the PP so yes, There is no risks to playing the inexperienced Romanov. Merrill is not able to keep up with Tampa's forwards. So you try Kulak who is a better skater.
Gustafsson BEEN turning it over.

Do you not recall game 1 against the Jets, where he inexplicably turned the puck over on the PP and Lowry scored short handed?

We won that game...and you're blinded by score-vision.

But the guy has been turning the puck over ALL PLAYOFFS.

Merrill wasn't able to keep up with the Leafs or Knights forwards either.

I'm really confused what games your watching.

It's a different tune cause it's a different team and challenge. Duh

This you?

John Merrill: a.k.a. Joe Dirt, a.k.a. Letterkenny Extra Edition

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Airhead Gus is done at last.

Couldn't even decisively change at times....dude played like someone out to lunch or stoned basically every second on his shifts. All body, no brains.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I said that's how it "typically" works.

Playoffs is often about matchups, some teams matchup better than others.

2 or 3 years ago Tampa had an awesome team...they met the Blue Jackets in round 1 and got swept.

Just how it goes sometimes...to try to portray it like these circumstances are just exclusive to the Habs is odd.

No, it's not "typical".

LA,
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Washington
Tampa

They were all A-Z teams who could have beat everyone. That's the majority case when you build the team into a team that can take the rest of the league, period.
It's not because you have that team you'll win 100%. It doesn't work like that. But you rarely get 3 good matchups; you can't plan for that to happen.
Moreover, you can't plan for your first 2 matchups to lose one of their blue-chip forwards. I don't think we are beating a leaf team with Tavares, and Winnipeg with Scheifele would have lasted longer, at least.

In other words, I'm really not a fan of shooting for the "unplanned" Stanley cup (as we are). It's stupid; that's not how you really win. It's not a lottery.

Merit beats luck, 95% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad