Erik Gudbranson - Good Defenseman?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Ranger fan in peace, I know some of these feels ITT because we drafted a similar player 10th overall in Dylan Mcilrath.

Although, Gubranson is easily better than McIlrath and probably always will be.

There's no real offensive upside to this kid eh? I saw a couple references to Seabrook, do you think EG could become that? He's also always going to be below Ekblad on the RHD depth though too obviously.

What about upside in general? Could be he a good #3 for you guys? Is he close to being the 3rd best dman on this team?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
he definitely isnt going to be a seabrook, a hard slapper but doesn't have the offensive instincts to utilize it. i doubt he'd be a #3, more like a stable #4.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He has made some aggressive plays offensively this year. Maybe only a handful of them, but it was nice to see him handle the puck going towards the ne . Last one I recall was him driving on the right side of the net and trying to connect with Huberdeau who was in front of the net.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Slightly better skater than Bryan Allen, when we had Allen as our 'stay at home defenseman'. Other than that, Gudbranson and Allen are comparable.

Gudbranson = slightly better version of Bryan Allen. We're going end up paying him to not play hockey well just like we did Allen :laugh:

Thanks Dale!

Thanks for using your first on one of the FEW guys who no one would select in the first round in a redraft.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Slightly better skater than Bryan Allen, when we had Allen as our 'stay at home defenseman'. Other than that, Gudbranson and Allen are comparable.

Gudbranson = slightly better version of Bryan Allen. We're going end up paying him to not play hockey well just like we did Allen :laugh:

Thanks Dale!

Thanks for using your first on one of the FEW guys who no one would select in the first round in a redraft.

Yeah that's pretty bad.

Ill be watching him more closely this season. Fla's a fun team to watch, mainly because of that top line. Hopefully Barkov returns soon.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Yeah that's pretty bad.

Ill be watching him more closely this season. Fla's a fun team to watch, mainly because of that top line. Hopefully Barkov returns soon.

yeah that first game was fun.
the rest: not so much

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So what's the value on this guy, since a qualifying offer will no doubt be 2.5 million at least. Since Ekblad and Petrovic are the future Top 4 RD, while Kampfer is surviving as the 3rd pairing, where does that leave Gundbranson?

What are the Panthers needs, if willing to part with Gudbranson?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
So what's the value on this guy, since a qualifying offer will no doubt be 2.5 million at least. Since Ekblad and Petrovic are the future Top 4 RD, while Kampfer is surviving as the 3rd pairing, where does that leave Gundbranson?

Petrovic is not a guarantee at all for future top 4RD. It's Ekblad and Guds. I don't think Tallon will move him. He's having his best year by far. We'd want a legit goal scorer for him. His value is higher to us than his trade value.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

They're not. Gudbranson is Tallon's first pick as GM, has all the intangibles the organization loves, has been playing excellent hockey this season, and has been called the team's future captain for years. Ekblad and Gudbranson are the future on the right side. Petrovic and Kampfer are bottom pairing guys with top 4 potential, Ekblad and Gudbranson are already there.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Thanks Dale!

When Allen was healthy he was a positive in our lineup.

I would take any good shutdown defenseman in the first round. They are still pretty hard to come by.

He and Olsen looked great together last year. Dunno why so many **** on "LOLsen". I wouldn't split that up. Kampfer is looking solid AF. Ekblad is the last guy on the team to be traded. Soup, Kuli, and Mitchell look like they are the bottom three IMO. Then there's Petro and all the rest in the system…we got great depth here!

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

I'm not sure if you're undervaluing Gudbranson or overvaluing Petrovic. Petrovic isn't that good...definitely doesn't project as a top 4.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

I would take any good shutdown defenseman in the first round. They are still pretty hard to come by.

He and Olsen looked great together last year. Dunno why so many **** on "LOLsen". I wouldn't split that up. Kampfer is looking solid AF. Ekblad is the last guy on the team to be traded. Soup, Kuli, and Mitchell look like they are the bottom three IMO. Then there's Petro and all the rest in the system…we got great depth here!

I don't think that is accurate on Kulikov... starting last year he improved tremendously and this year he was his solid self again, even taking more offensive chances.

The way I see it, Ekblad, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Matheson, Petro, X fill in for last spot moving forward (Olsen, McCoshen, Kampfer, free agent)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I don't think that is accurate on Kulikov... starting last year he improved tremendously and this year he was his solid self again, even taking more offensive chances.

The way I see it, Ekblad, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Matheson, Petro, X fill in for last spot moving forward (Olsen, McCoshen, Kampfer, free agent)

Kulikov Ekblad
Matheson Byfuglien
Campbell on the cheap - Guds

I'm in

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Everyone keeps forgetting Racine and Acolatse in this mix. This pairing is so strong in Portland it's unreal. They are the proverbial perfect combination of a shutdown pairing with the upside of offense by Acolatse. Racine has stayed out of the enforcer mix lately conceding to Sena and concentrated on shutting down the other teams top lines. For a guy who scores very few points and puts up plus ratings every year, it's really quite remarkable.

I wouldn't think twice about trading both Guds and Kuli at some point before the draft. I think Racine and Acolatse are every bit as good and probably better. You just don't find a synergy like these two have very often that is magic. I'm sure Rowe would agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Kuli bottom three ? You for reals:skeptic:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Everyone keeps forgetting Racine and Acolatse in this mix. This pairing is so strong in Portland it's unreal. They are the proverbial perfect combination of a shutdown pairing with the upside of offense by Acolatse. Racine has stayed out of the enforcer mix lately conceding to Sena and concentrated on shutting down the other teams top lines. For a guy who scores very few points and puts up plus ratings every year, it's really quite remarkable.

I wouldn't think twice about trading both Guds and Kuli at some point before the draft. I think Racine and Acolatse are every bit as good and probably better. You just don't find a synergy like these two have very often that is magic. I'm sure Rowe would agree.

Acolatse is two years older than Gudbranson and has not one NHL minute yet whereas Guds has 272 games of experience. Either a very late bloomer, but I am not convinced at all (this goes for Racine as well)

Furthermore, how often do you see a whole D-pairing called up and thrown into an NHL game on the same pair with 1 NHL game of experience between them? Not going to happen.

They might do a good job in the AHL. Imagine Guds in the AHL, I think he'd be bored to death

Kulikov Ekblad
Matheson Byfuglien
Campbell on the cheap - Guds

I'm in

I'd prefer Guds and Buff, downright scarry to play against.

Looks most realistic to me and a very nice setup it would be.

Kuli bottom three ? You for reals:skeptic:

Yeah, don't get that eiter. He is a clear cut 2-3 for me (hoping for a some more offense though, but he is streaky too). He'll never be a clearcut number 1, but pair him one, it could be really interesting. And he is strong enough in his overall game to anchor a second pairing

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Acolatse is two years older than Gudbranson and has not one NHL minute yet whereas Guds has 272 games of experience. Either a very late bloomer, but I am not convinced at all (this goes for Racine as well)

Furthermore, how often do you see a whole D-pairing called up and thrown into an NHL game on the same pair with 1 NHL game of experience between them? Not going to happen.

They might do a good job in the AHL. Imagine Guds in the AHL, I think he'd be bored to death
As most know, I'm not a Guds fan although he has played very solid this year. It's been said and I agree that if he was redrafted he would be nowhere near #3 overall. I think he would have a tough time being drafted in the 1st round. He still sticks up for his teammates and is less likely to drop the mitts than he used to, but he is still a hitting machine, shot blocker, and has done a good job at making decisions on the pinch this year. Defensively he still leaves something to be desired as a skilled player can make him look foolish at times.

Kuli is another guy who is saving his career by realizing that he is much better at defense than offense. Although skilled with the puck, he is a slow skater and has trouble hitting the net. The dumb passes and turnovers happen on rare occasions and he does a very good job at defending. That was the reason the guy was chosen to play for the Russian National Team this year for the first time, not his offense. I don't see Tallon offering him a contract when he is a UFA after next season.

I have seen Racine and Acolatse play together a couple of times in the last 10 games. Believe me when I tell you they are for real. They would be an excellent #2 pairing in the NHL. If they never get a chance to play together in the NHL, then Racine is going to make a fine shut down defensive partner for some NHL team at some point in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I have seen Racine and Acolatse play together a couple of times in the last 10 games. Believe me when I tell you they are for real. They would be an excellent #2 pairing in the NHL. If they never get a chance to play together in the NHL, then Racine is going to make a fine shut down defensive partner for some NHL team at some point in the next couple of years.

This goes directly to the point. How can you claim they are for real to play in the NHL if they have an experience of one NHL game between them?

Of course the AHL is the league that comes the closest to the NHL, but it is definitely not the same thing. Implying that they could duplicate to the NHL what they do in the AHL is a little shortsighted imo (no offense).

I wonder how a Kulikov-Gudbranson pairing would do for the Pirates, in comparison to Racine and Acolatse...

Back to Guds: he is what he is. I just say "Alexandre Daigle" and "Patrik Stefan". They never managed to stay in the NHL, Guds did and will for a long time, doesn't matter if he was a 3rd, 33rd or 333rd pick.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This goes directly to the point. How can you claim they are for real to play in the NHL if they have an experience of one NHL game between them?

Of course the AHL is the league that comes the closest to the NHL, but it is definitely not the same thing. Implying that they could duplicate to the NHL what they do in the AHL is a little shortsighted imo (no offense).

I wonder how a Kulikov-Gudbranson pairing would do for the Pirates, in comparison to Racine and Acolatse...

Back to Guds: he is what he is. I just say "Alexandre Daigle" and "Patrik Stefan". They never managed to stay in the NHL, Guds did and will for a long time, doesn't matter if he was a 3rd, 33rd or 333rd pick.
I'm a realist and know these two will never get a shot together, but it's nice to dream. NHL teams fawn over their high draft choices and the two guys from Boston College will get a shot next year along with an experienced veteran. Can't help but like the two of them together though.;)

Sure the AHL is nowhere near the talent of the NHL, but some very good NHL talent peddled their wares for quite a while in the AHL before being given an opportunity. Olsen doesn't look any different than he did up here and Kampfer actually looked better in the NHL than the AHL last year.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Kuli is top 4, I don't know where Olsen is but he beneath Kulikov.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad