Value of: Erik Brannstrom

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Is there a Drouin for Sergachev type trade that can be made here?

Brannstrom does not need to be protected in the expansion draft and Ottawa has space to protect forwards and defencemen. We have Sanderson coming up who will be our 2LD. JBD and Zub will likely be the top 4 D on the right hand side leaving Brannstrom the odd one out.

I would suggest Chytil, but I don't think the Rangers need defencemen.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Brannstrom does not need to be protected in the expansion draft and Ottawa has space to protect forwards and defencemen. We have Sanderson coming up who will be our 2LD. JBD and Zub will likely be the top 4 D on the right hand side leaving Brannstrom the odd one out.

I'm a NYR Fan.
I honestly haven't seen him this year, but unless the hype is completely dead and Brannstrom has plummeted, I would set my sights higher than Chytil if I were a Sens fan. Probably better off making some package for a better player, or swapping for a prospect to a team that needs a Dman.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ottawa has 1 legit top 4 D if they were a contender. I’m a huge fan of Chabot. A young true top pairing D but what does he have for support? Trading Brannstrom is counter productive. They need to hit on both Brannstrom and Sanderson and still look for D improvement

The only type of Brannstrom deal they should look at is swapping him for Dumba. Minnesota gets a draft exempt D and Ottawa gets a top 4 proven RD. Anything less than that makes no sense or no Sens

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's probably best to let him develop more on the third pair and hope he becomes too good for that job. At that point he'll have a lot more trade value.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

I'm not touching that with a 10' pole...

It's probably best to let him develop more on the third pair and hope he becomes too good for that job. At that point he'll have a lot more trade value.
with his style of play and preferring the right side, he may end up playing the right side once he's a bit more accustomed to the pace of the NHL

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Ottawa has 1 legit top 4 D if they were a contender. I’m a huge fan of Chabot. A young true top pairing D but what does he have for support? Trading Brannstrom is counter productive. They need to hit on both Brannstrom and Sanderson and still look for D improvement
I'm guessing you haven't watched many Ottawa games this year - but Artem Zub is actually really good. He's the perfect partner for a Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom. I'd be very confident if he was our #4D when we're ready to contend. Ottawa really found a gem in Zub.

But agreed, trading Brannstrom is counter productive, unless JBD proves that he's close to a top 4 D by the end of the year. I don't have many doubts with Sanderson, kid will be very good. But he won't be in Ottawa until next April.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brannstrom should be available, but only in a package for a young-ish top 4 D or a #1 C.

One trade idea that could make sense is Brannstrom in a deal for a better defenseman that has to be protected in expansion by a team that may have more than 3 D they'd like to protect (eg. Dunn, Cernak, Hanifin/Andersson, Weegar, Fabbro, Dumba, Toews, Bean, etc...).

Brannstrom doesn't need to be protected so his value pre-expansion may be higher than post-expansion for a number of teams. Sens could take advantage of this, given they only have 1 D worth protecting right now (Chabot).

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Its funny because if you didnt pay close attention, most people would tell you that Brannstrom, a 21yr old skilled Swedish dman who is 5'9/180lbs, had one foot on the path to bust town already....

Yet every indication that hes given is that hes got a VERY solid chance at becoming a top 4 D-man. Like as soon as now....we arent talking in years. Lol again, he is 21yrs old and plays a very difficult position. The hardest one in the NHL, to be precise.

Aside from a rough start to last year in the NHL when he was thrust into the weakest d-corps in the league due to some training camp injuries, hes been fantastic at every other level, and with every opportunity that hes be given to shine. The fact that he was traded for Stone has done him ZERO favours in terms of fairness or judgement, and the fact that he was a week away from being drafted in the 2018 draft is way to easily overlooked.

He dominated the AHL as #1Dman who can produce big numbers. And now that hes paired with a competent NHL partner in Zub, hes already well on his way to solidifying himself as a top 4 dman to close out this season.

Dmen will continue to have a highly inflated value in this league imo, and thats not ending anytime soon. And if a team surprises people and they trade a perceived "quality" top 4 dman - I would suggest that you reserve all judgement at first....Because smart GMs dont trade good defencemen, like ever, unless there is a very obvious reason to do it.

Brannstrom doesnt get traded for anything short of a massive overpayment at this point. Certainly not for a questionable top6/9 forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: c_mak

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Brannstrom is having a great game right now. I just think he doesn't have a place in the top 4 long term with Zub, JBD, Chabot, Sanderson.

One proposal I think is fair for both teams is Wahlstrom for Brannstrom. Even their names are similar.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think if Brannstrom were to be traded it would be for a top 4 D that a team is going to lose to the expansion draft

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I still think Brannstrom has another level but the point stands.

Trading young performing NHL level talent with great upside because you have a bunch of prospects is absolutely insane.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Rangers have an overflow of very good young LD and RD coming fast and furious. If they deal Chytil it will be for a package to upgrade at center

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I love how many threads on here say that Ottawa don’t need Brannstrom because they have Chabot and Sanderson.

... like having 3 good left handed PMD all cost-controlled for the next 7 years (minimum) is a problem.

Reactions: BarberPole9

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Don't trade him. NSH, MTL (twice) have traded good young Dmen, not sure they would do it again (well MTL may because apparently they never learn ;) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad