Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Not sure what to make of this.
at 5v5 his TOI was 16:16 and 18:39 he was on the ice for 5 scoring chances for and 10 against. 0 Goals For and 3 against. 2 High Danger chances for and 4 against. Zone starts slightly favored the Ozone.

3 goals against
Rantanen in the 1st period
Rantanen from Mackinnon in the 2nd period 4-3 goal
Wood 1st goal in the 3rd period 4-4 goal

He was -3 all other D were -1 except Sanderson +1
All 3 goals against I would not blame him specifically on but I can see how he may feel he was right there on all of them

If I had to guess he was probably just pissed at his game and the result vs his role.
Brannstrom was not good last night. His mistakes are usually overlooked as they aren't as blatant as most other guys. In general he has good hockey IQ and is a good skater so he recovers well and is generally in position. But he is a small finesse type Dman that gets out muscled and pushed around by most forwards. He can't move guys from the front of the net and can't step up and knock guys over. So he might be in the position to stop something but many times he just can't.
If he was better offensively you could overlook his other shortcomings but in general he's just a slightly below average 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: aragorn

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm usually a fan, but the thing that I don't like about Brannstrom's play is what he does when he gains the O-zone (so far so good; at least he can transition the puck to the O-zone!). He seems to usually get there first (maybe not his fault that the rest of the team is not used to a D moving the puck quickly there ;) ) and then he just... gets rid of the puck? Like there's no plan, no coordination with the team-mates.

By contrast, Chabot or Sanderson slow the game down (in Chabot's case, waaay down) and look up to see what to do, and the transition is done (when successful) by finding some passing option that is conducive to sustained time in the O-zone.

There's no point getting to the O-zone if it's just to dump the puck in with no hope of getting it back.

I understand that maybe he feels the need to act quickly lest he gets plastered to the boards since he's smaller, but then he should maybe watch what other small PMDs do and copy them, assuming he has the skills to copy them.

Reactions: PlayOn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm usually a fan, but the thing that I don't like about Brannstrom's play is what he does when he gains the O-zone (so far so good; at least he can transition the puck to the O-zone!). He seems to usually get there first (maybe not his fault that the rest of the team is not used to a D moving the puck quickly there ;) ) and then he just... gets rid of the puck? Like there's no plan, no coordination with the team-mates.

By contrast, Chabot or Sanderson slow the game down (in Chabot's case, waaay down) and look up to see what to do, and the transition is done (when successful) by finding some passing option that is conducive to sustained time in the O-zone.

There's no point getting to the O-zone if it's just to dump the puck in with no hope of getting it back.

I've noticed that too. I think he's been told to keep it simple. Do not turn it over at ,or close to, either blue line.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
some people think that subbing Kleven in for Brannstrom will automatically make this team better defensively.

it is more likely that Kleven is nowhere near as effective as Brannstrom and won't be until 2-3 more years.
I think it’s more that Kleven brings something we sorely miss back there and Brannstrom doesn’t. But you’re right in that I think it’ll take Kleven awhile before he has enough experience to actually give us what we need.

In an ideal world I think you find a bottom pairing LD via trade rather than just subbing Brann with Kleven right away.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
He is next to move on from the Sens...I was at a meet and greet with the Sens brass before Saturday nights game against the Lafs and had the pleasure to meet and speak with Staois and Andlauer. My boy took pictures with them etc. Anway, in the conversation with Staois, he asked my 16yr old boy what he thinks of the team. My son did not want to say and I egged him on. The kid tells him that he loves our star-lined defense core of 72, 85 and 6, and SS says I know what you're going to say, to much of the same type....SS then also adds, do not forget about Branstromm as he is the same type of player. Right there and then, I knew that 26 will be moved at one point.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think it’s more that Kleven brings something we sorely miss back there and Brannstrom doesn’t. But you’re right in that I think it’ll take Kleven awhile before he has enough experience to actually give us what we need.

In an ideal world I think you find a bottom pairing LD via trade rather than just subbing Brann with Kleven right away.

IF Kleven is ready then you could play him with Brannstrom on RD who looked fine there last night.

Rotate JBD, Brann and Kleven until there is a fit. Add a D at the deadline next year if necessary. They really need to find a way to move on from Hamonic.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I know people think he brings nothing to the team and is gonezo but yet another game where we have key d out.

And yet another game where Brannstrom is asked to step up and in reply is one of our best d and elevates his game.

He was excellent, 1 goal and 22;33 TOI, 55.17% CF% at 5 on 5 which was the best on the team, and 81.62% xGF% which was 2nd best on the team. with 2 of our 3 best Ds out, he really stepped up and allowed us to survive a game with only 5 D-men.

Rotate JBD, Brann and Kleven until there is a fit. Add a D at the deadline next year if necessary. They really need to find a way to move on from Hamonic.

I can't watch Hamonic, he makes the wrong decision/play every single time, only exception is when he has a chance to shoot in the offensive zone

If we keep Chychrun and extends him :

Chychrun - Sanderson
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Brannstrom
Guennette or JBD

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He is next to move on from the Sens...I was at a meet and greet with the Sens brass before Saturday nights game against the Lafs and had the pleasure to meet and speak with Staois and Andlauer. My boy took pictures with them etc. Anway, in the conversation with Staois, he asked my 16yr old boy what he thinks of the team. My son did not want to say and I egged him on. The kid tells him that he loves our star-lined defense core of 72, 85 and 6, and SS says I know what you're going to say, to much of the same type....SS then also adds, do not forget about Branstromm as he is the same type of player. Right there and then, I knew that 26 will be moved at one point.

Is this a joke?

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
As excited as I am to see Kleven next year, if we can extend Brannstrom for another year or two with a very minor raise, I'd be happy. He's doing everything he needs to on the third pairing and when asked to step into the top 4, hasn't been shite.

Never hurts to have good D depth, and if Kleven makes it on the roster, Brannstrom's won't be particularly hard to move. He's not a liability and would only be moved as a 'cap casualty'

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As excited as I am to see Kleven next year, if we can extend Brannstrom for another year or two with a very minor raise, I'd be happy. He's doing everything he needs to on the third pairing and when asked to step into the top 4, hasn't been shite.

Never hurts to have good D depth, and if Kleven makes it on the roster, Brannstrom's won't be particularly hard to move. He's not a liability and would only be moved as a 'cap casualty'
Yes, especially if Chychrun is going to be traded.

Reactions: NB613 and Xspyrit

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Is this a joke?
Honestly, this is not a joke. This actually happened. Steve Staois was amazing with my son to say the least. Really down to earth. I would post pictures of the meeting with both, but at the risk of putting my son's face out there I will not. If a moderator wants me to verify it with the pic, I will send it to them.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
Honestly, this is not a joke. This actually happened. Steve Staois was amazing with my son to say the least. Really down to earth. I would post pictures of the meeting with both, but at the risk of putting my son's face out there I will not. If a moderator wants me to verify it with the pic, I will send it to them.
nobody cares man, good for you.

• Haha
Reactions: armani

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Staios decides to extend the Brannchise, what will he cost?

I say bring him back at $2 million. Not like he scores enough to warrant a raise.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Or SS was hinting that they have Brannstrom available to step up when they trade 72/6
If Staios decides to extend the Brannchise, what will he cost?

I say bring him back at $2 million. Not like he scores enough to warrant a raise.
The most likely path to retaining Branny, imo, is no QO and then signing him around his current rate. Arbitration will be favourable to him and I don't think we can risk a binding ruling.

Why would Branny stick around? Well, he has a level of comfort here and he would be getting the endorsement of a new regime, presumably with one of his main competitors for ice time being moved out in the meantime.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Or SS was hinting that they have Brannstrom available to step up when they trade 72/6

The most likely path to retaining Branny, imo, is no QO and then signing him around his current rate. Arbitration will be favourable to him and I don't think we can risk a binding ruling.

Why would Branny stick around? Well, he has a level of comfort here and he would be getting the endorsement of a new regime, presumably with one of his main competitors for ice time being moved out in the meantime.
I think with no QO he will walk away, and I'm pretty sure he will get a raise somewhere else, at a price point equal or higher than arbitration.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Only + players on the roster are

Pinto
Sanderson
Greig
Zub
Brannstrom

basically our best defensive players and there is a reason Brannstrom is on the list.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad