Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
What happened to Schaefer and Terrance tonight? I didn't get home until late in the 2nd and neither player was on the ice from that point on.
I missed what happened to Schaefer. Terrance tripped over his own feet and rolled his ankle.

Reactions: Eerie

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Schaefer had 7 stitches put into his leg in Niagara. He was walking with a limp.

I would expect him to miss tonight’s game.

• Wow
Reactions: Mata

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Depends what the tie is for.

If there’s a tie for eighth in the conference, it’s a one-game playoff.

If there’s a tie for any other spot, the team with the most wins (excluding shootout wins) gets the spot.

It’s a bit more complex if there’s a three way tie, but it’s all laid out here.

OttersHockey1968

Apr 13, 2022
Depends what the tie is for.

If there’s a tie for eighth in the conference, it’s a one-game playoff.

If there’s a tie for any other spot, the team with the most wins (excluding shootout wins) gets the spot.

It’s a bit more complex if there’s a three way tie, but it’s all laid out here.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out the tie breakers should we end up with a tie somewhere in the 5th through 8th spots.

Reactions: Guy In Burlington

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I’d hate to toot my own horn, but now that the regular season is over, I predicted our record correctly! I’ll enjoy my 2 seconds of fame since I rarely get these kinda things close.

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 2

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Dave Brown better send the Hunters a fruit basket. :D

Erie vs. Kitchener should be a dandy if it is anything like last night!

Last edited:
Reactions: ArielNederland

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Great season for the Otts, especially considering the goalie situation. With a better backup and/or not losing BG for 2 months - the 5th seed would have been locked up long ago.

I’m not sure how much of a chance they have in the playoffs without BG. Going to be extremely hard to beat the same team consistently with the goalies they currently have. Even if BG is back, he hasn’t played in far too long to expect him to just jump back in and be a top end guy. Add in Terrance injury and even harder to overcome the goalie situation.

I predict KIT in 6. Erie should steal at least 1 and maybe they catch KIT napping in another game

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Game 1 in Kitchener Friday and game 2 on Easter Sunday. Games 3 and 4 in Erie on Tuesday and Thursday. Game 5, if necessary, in Kitchener on Friday. Game 6 would be eclipse day in Erie and Game 7 would be in Kitchener on Tuesday the 9th.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Game 1 in Kitchener Friday and game 2 on Easter Sunday. Games 3 and 4 in Erie on Tuesday and Thursday. Game 5, if necessary, in Kitchener on Friday. Game 6 would be eclipse day in Erie and Game 7 would be in Kitchener on Tuesday the 9th.
Curious. What is Gaudreau’s status.

Also,,any other injuries of significance?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Curious. What is Gaudreau’s status.

Also,,any other injuries of significance?
Gaudreau is still rehabbing an injury and is day to day. I would suspect he’s close to returning.

Terrance also has an injury, but will be back for game 1 according to Mark Scheig.

Bresette took a weird hit Saturday. Likely just the wind knocked out of him since he said he was okay postgame.

Besides that, Erie is 100% healthy and peaking at the right time.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Gaudreau is still rehabbing an injury and is day to day. I would suspect he’s close to returning.

Terrance also has an injury, but will be back for game 1 according to Mark Scheig.

Bresette took a weird hit Saturday. Likely just the wind knocked out of him since he said he was okay postgame.

Besides that, Erie is 100% healthy and peaking at the right time.
How about that Dylan Edwards joining the team late and racking up over 20 goals? Unsung hero?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
How about that Dylan Edwards joining the team late and racking up over 20 goals? Unsung hero?
He’s a guy who didn’t take no for an answer. As a guy who was told he was too small, not good enough, didn’t fit in Stan’s size requirements, so he was sent down. He hit the grind for a few months, came back and dominated. He will be a lock next year.

He’s a success story as to why being sent down is a good thing.

He’s a good kid outside the rink too.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
He was likely cut for size reasons but to be fair, he wasn’t performing either. Certainly don’t remember him showing much promise but maybe he just didn’t get the opportunity. He worked hard to improve and clearly gained confidence in the OJHL so when guys like Terrance/Misiak were gone for the WJC, they needed someone like Edwards to give them some minutes and he took advantage. The crazy thing is the consistency they have gotten from him. He had a bit of a dip in February but now has points in 8 of his last 9 games, 10g 5a.

If he’s at this pace next year, it makes me feel better about their team. Terrance, Spence, Fimis, Molnar, Alfano, Edwards could be a good top 6.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
He was likely cut for size reasons but to be fair, he wasn’t performing either. Certainly don’t remember him showing much promise but maybe he just didn’t get the opportunity. He worked hard to improve and clearly gained confidence in the OJHL so when guys like Terrance/Misiak were gone for the WJC, they needed someone like Edwards to give them some minutes and he took advantage. The crazy thing is the consistency they have gotten from him. He had a bit of a dip in February but now has points in 8 of his last 9 games, 10g 5a.

If he’s at this pace next year, it makes me feel better about their team. Terrance, Spence, Fimis, Molnar, Alfano, Edwards could be a good top 6.

Wasn't performing or wasn't given the opportunity to perform?

Being honest, he's got size against him, much like Bressette, however BJ ran lines 1 and 2 ragged and he was, probably rightfully so on the 3rd or 4th line most nights and saw very little ice.

The fact he was given a 2nd chance and has used every minute to prove his worth has been nothing short of amazing and you can't take anything away from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad