Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Since nelli closed the off-season thread right after my post…

My last thoughts before the season starts, which is what I said a few months back: Spence, Sova, Lalonde imo are 3 most important players for this team in terms of floor vs ceiling. If at the end of the year, Spence established himself as a PPG player, Sova is a legit 1/2, and Lalonde is at least middle of the pack among starters - then Erie probably had a successful season. Conversely, if those 3 don’t perform, particularly with Sova and Lalonde, I don’t see how they can be anything more than a team fighting around a 7-9 seed yet again.

If you look back on the best team since the rebuild, 2019-20, that team went 26-26-4-7 in a COVID shortened year and in a tough division with what we now know is a bad head coach and probably a bad coaching staff overall. They also lost what seemed like a record amount of extra time, close games. This Erie roster has a chance to be at least as talented collectively as that team but imo has far more depth. Not to mention their coaching, even if average, is better than what they had in 2019-20 since that’s a low bar to cross. Imo having a full season of games, more depth, and a better coaching staff could equate to 10-15 more wins compared to that 2019-20 team.

I also want to put on the record that there are no longer size issues with this team. In 2019-20, Erie had 5 players (4 forwards) that were 5’9 or below and a total of 12 players that were 5’11 or below. Around that time, I said they needed to address this and flip the roster but that it would take time - you can’t just completely flip the roster overnight. They started making some progress in 2021-2022, having 6 players (all forwards) at 5’9 or below and a total of 8 players that were 5’11 or below. But I said from the beginning it would probably be an issue until 2022 or 2023 because it takes time to correct those numbers. Now, here we are. Yes, the SB hiring helped but it was already trending this way for a while and DB has been on record with it. Regardless of SB, they would be in this spot. The start of this year, there will be a maximum of 2 players (Bressette, Edwards) at 5’9 or below and only 5 players (all forwards) at 5’11 or below. This is very much normal when compared to much of the league and they no longer have size issues.

I think the combination of more size, potential for more high end talent, better depth overall, and a steady, veteran coach could see the team surprise everyone. The hard part is they play in the toughest division vs for example, like playing in the East division, which probably gives them at least 4-5 more wins. Combine a tough division with the last 5 years, basically resulting in a losing culture and PTSD, and it gives me some pause. It wouldn’t shock me if this team competes for a 4-5 seed, assuming a lot of things go right. I am predicting them to be closer to a 7th seed because of the last 5 years. But I’ll admit, the vibe with this team overall feels promising

Saw Teo walking in today...no way he's 5'10 hahaha

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Happy New Year!
Today has to be better than yesterday. Atleast the rest of you could turn it off. It was painful in person. So painful I couldn’t write my first hand review.

They started behind and never caught up. Today needs to be better.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Happy New Year!
Today has to be better than yesterday. Atleast the rest of you could turn it off. It was painful in person. So painful I couldn’t write my first hand review.

They started behind and never caught up. Today needs to be better.

That was Royston who took out Fimis...he's being tended to by Coop

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Any time King is on the ice we are at a 1 goal disadvantage...

He is horrid!

Reactions: 7D442

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Any time King is on the ice we are at a 1 goal disadvantage...

He is horrid!
You’d think he’d have SOME bias being from Erie but he’s awful. So many missed calls as usual.

The PP is so much better compared to Hartsburg era. It’s refreshing. We actually have chances.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It was easy to see why Teo made the roster tonight. Roysten, Hammond, McDonald...all just a step behind the rest. Roysten and Hammond will hopefully grow into their roles.

Schaeffer will probably be our 2nd best defenseman early on behind Sova (desperately needed tonight).

Spence, 3 penalties, ughh...he shows flashes of brilliance but I expect more out of him.

Misiak, Alfano, Molnar, Fimis, Terrance, Bressette...they are going to be fun to watch!!!

Daviault doesn't look like he progressed much. Albloim and Sauder are pretty stout, nothing flashy. Holomego didn't do half bad.

And then goalie...gonna be the Achilles heel even if our skaters are flowing.

Imo, huge let down as there were way too many little mistakes tonight. Maybe it was jitters, I dunno. You'd think with the amount of time our boys have going into the season it wouldn't have have been as big of a deal.

They obviously have to improve and they will trend upwards, but it's going to be an interesting October.

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
We might be 0-2, but this team has improved greatly since March. The PP is coming together which was nonexistent this time last year. We are faster and our passes are better than previous. Once we get Sova back, it’ll help the back end.

Lalonde looks improved and I hope he’s out of his head. He made some huge saves. This Lalonde last year would’ve been pulled and the score would’ve been 9-0.

I hate to say the officiating was an issue because missed calls happen all the time.

Spence has been disappointing. I expected him to take the jump to the next level. Schaefer outshines him and both are considered elite.

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It was easy to see why Teo made the roster tonight. Roysten, Hammond, McDonald...all just a step behind the rest. Roysten and Hammond will hopefully grow into their roles.

Schaeffer will probably be our 2nd best defenseman early on behind Sova (desperately needed tonight).

Spence, 3 penalties, ughh...he shows flashes of brilliance but I expect more out of him.

Misiak, Alfano, Molnar, Fimis, Terrance, Bressette...they are going to be fun to watch!!!

Daviault doesn't look like he progressed much. Albloim and Sauder are pretty stout, nothing flashy. Holomego didn't do half bad.

And then goalie...gonna be the Achilles heel even if our skaters are flowing.

Imo, huge let down as there were way too many little mistakes tonight. Maybe it was jitters, I dunno. You'd think with the amount of time our boys have going into the season it wouldn't have have been as big of a deal.

They obviously have to improve and they will trend upwards, but it's going to be an interesting October.
Speaking on Taeo, as someone who knows him and his family well, he’s a grinder. He gets into the small spaces, he hustles, and makes his presence known. He’s a solid 3rd/4th line player which helps flow 4 lines. He’s on the PK which helps give the 1st/2nd line guys a breather. Don’t sleep on him. He’s not the flashy player on the team, but he doesn’t give up shifts. When Stan came to Erie, Artichuk really respected him and Butler thinks highly of him.

Of course trades could always happen, but he earned his spot this year.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Speaking on Taeo, as someone who knows him and his family well, he’s a grinder. He gets into the small spaces, he hustles, and makes his presence known. He’s a solid 3rd/4th line player which helps flow 4 lines. He’s on the PK which helps give the 1st/2nd line guys a breather. Don’t sleep on him. He’s not the flashy player on the team, but he doesn’t give up shifts. When Stan came to Erie, Artichuk really respected him and Butler thinks highly of him.

Of course trades could always happen, but he earned his spot this year.
Artichuk showed little his 1st two seasons, but tonight was a revelation. He seems much quicker. He and McDonald were very good on the penalty kill and yet the Otters gave up 3 powerplay goals. Have to stay out of the box.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Artichuk showed little his 1st two seasons, but tonight was a revelation. He seems much quicker. He and McDonald were very good on the penalty kill and yet the Otters gave up 3 powerplay goals. Have to stay out of the box.
He needed to be pushed and realize that he could make something out of himself. It took a lot for him to get to the rink when he was younger. Many, many people coordinated to help his mom who did everything herself to ensure he could pursue hockey. He probably won’t make it to the NHL, but should be very proud of the odds he overcame to be where he is today.

He really buys in to Stan’s philosophy. When Hartsburg was here, there’s no way Artichuk or McDonald would’ve been on the PK. Hartsburg ran the same 5 kids for 45 mins of hockey. I think that’s the difference from last year to this year. Shorter shifts and everyone contributes. There’s no definitive first line since everyone rotates between starting on the first line one game and third line the next game. It’s a team atmosphere and I think we have good hockey ahead of us.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
He needed to be pushed and realize that he could make something out of himself. It took a lot for him to get to the rink when he was younger. Many, many people coordinated to help his mom who did everything herself to ensure he could pursue hockey. He probably won’t make it to the NHL, but should be very proud of the odds he overcame to be where he is today.

He really buys in to Stan’s philosophy. When Hartsburg was here, there’s no way Artichuk or McDonald would’ve been on the PK. Hartsburg ran the same 5 kids for 45 mins of hockey. I think that’s the difference from last year to this year. Shorter shifts and everyone contributes. There’s no definitive first line since everyone rotates between starting on the first line one game and third line the next game. It’s a team atmosphere and I think we have good hockey ahead of us.

I was going to comment and...squirrel...

It is refreshing that Teo has joined the PK. As you and others have stated it allows for the 1st and 2nd line to expend more energy in doing what they do best, scoring. I am not sure the PK has been settled entirely, but I completely expect Teo to be a part of pk1 or pk2 all season.

McDonald perhaps, but he nearly cost us 2 shorties on the PP. Will be interesting to see if there are any others, perhaps Smith or Hammond see some time on the PK.

I think for the first time in several seasons there are more positives than negatives to take from the loss, which is refreshing and good.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nice to get Sova back.

My initial thoughts after one weekend is I don’t like the lineup approach of spreading out the forward talent to 3 lines and as a result, I think they are limiting their ceiling on offense. Smith, Royston, and McDonald are not good enough to play in the top 6. Royston is not good enough to be in the top 9. Alfano is probably better served on the 3rd line.

When Erie was dominant in 2014-2017, they pretty much exclusively played their best 6 forwards in the top 6, or at minimum they played their best 5 forwards in the top 6. Currently, they aren’t doing that by only playing their best 4 forwards in the top 6, which imo is slowing down or limiting the talent they do have.

This is how I would mix it up:
Spence - Terrance - Alfano
Molnar - Misiak - Bressette
McDonald - Fimis - Smith

I get wanting to have “depth” but depth doesn’t get you far if you don’t have a go to line or two that can create consistently. I would even prefer to put Fimis in the top 6 over Alfano but considering their focus has been on having depth down the middle, I wouldn’t expect that

It’s frustrating though because that is the strength of the team and they aren’t utilizing it properly. I mean it’s not like Strome could turn Nick Betz into a PPG so why would we expect Misiak to do it with Smith or Terrance to do it with Alfano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad