Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looking forward to seeing Erie on their swing through Missy. Should be a interesting year(s) ahead!

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
My guess is.. many of the top players told the Petes “no.” We know Cuylle and Drysdale did. I’m sure there were others, otherwise have to think they would have taken the 6-7th “ranked” player over this happening.

I’m assuming they took him because they felt they had a chance to convince him.. not sure. Doesn’t make a ton of sense and I’ll guess he ends up in the OHL one day. But maybe not. And if he never plays in the OHL, then the Petes wasted their 3rd overall pick. You could argue it’s worth taking him if you plan on trading him for 6/7 high picks. That makes more sense to me than taking a late first round talent just because he will report.
This is why erie sucked for a decade though. Sure it was on bassin and the management but a lot was on the players not reporting here. Erie was forced to take a the 15-20th best player with a top 5 pick, otherwise they would be left drafting a player that would never report to them. Tough spot to be in

The one that sticks out to me is the O'Reilly draft. It was pretty clear from the get-go that Taylor Hall was the best player in the draft that year, but he wasn't going to report. Erie got two good years out of O'Reilly; Windsor got 3 years out of Hall and 2 Memorial Cups. I think there's an argument to be made that players choosing to report or not is a bigger factor in a given team's success than the coaching staff or GM, though the two are interrelated.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The one that sticks out to me is the O'Reilly draft. It was pretty clear from the get-go that Taylor Hall was the best player in the draft that year, but he wasn't going to report. Erie got two good years out of O'Reilly; Windsor got 3 years out of Hall and 2 Memorial Cups. I think there's an argument to be made that players choosing to report or not is a bigger factor in a given team's success than the coaching staff or GM, though the two are interrelated.
It’s all about getting guys to report. Where would London have been a couple years ago without Dvorak, Jones, Tkachuk, Piccinich, etc.. answer? Not a memorial cup winning team.
Yes you need the coaching, the scouting, the resources, management in order to convince guys to come. But it all comes down to getting players - especially in round 1. You can’t win a title without that high end talent

Where would erie have been if Hall would have reported? And where would Windsor have been?
Erie was also unlucky that Hall, the better player, managed 3 years in the league while OReilly made the nhl as a true rookie and 2nd round pick..
after winning 34 games in 2008-09, Erie would have been much more prepared to start winning had OReilly returned for a 3rd year in juniors. That was a crap time for the franchise.. not only did they miss out on Hall, but the good character leader guy they got in OReilly only played 2 years in the OHL..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie waived Patry today ahead of tomorrow’s import draft
Can’t be surprised by this at all. Yes Patry is 1 year younger but Poddubnyi is the better player

It’s obvious that Erie will take a forward tomorrow. Brown said they won’t go goalie and it makes 0 sense to go defense unless you plan on trading 2-3 guys. my guess is we select a 2001.. preferably they go after a centerman
So potential forwards next year:

Maksimovich - Fowler - Poddubyni
Golod - Gritz - Lodnia/Import
Sproule - ?? - Yetman/ Mack

I would not be suprised that if erie lands a 2001 Import that signs, that they keep Maksmovich all year. Lodnia will be moved at some point. Also don’t be shocked if erie targets a cheap OA to be a stronger upgrade over Girhiny (with size) and potentially to play a 3rd line center role

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Probably the right move. Gera didn't have a great year but with his size and skill he has much more upside than Patry. I would love it if they landed a high end 2001 forward (preferably a right shot), traded Lodnia for picks, and landed Alexander to cap off their offseason. Would be pretty much perfect imo.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie selects C Petr Cajka, a Czech born player that's been playing in Switzerland. Late 2000, so he's eligible for the 2019 draft. Dave Brown thinks he will be reporting here. We'll see what kind of impact he makes.

Otters Select Czech Forward Petr Cajka with Import Pick – Erie Otters

Petr Cajka at eliteprospects.com

Based on the videos I’ve seen and the brief reading I’ve done, the kid looks like he will add something!
I wanted a 2001 but this is a late 2000 who isn’t eligible for NHL draft until 2019 - so it’s a success for Erie because they might get this kid for 2 years
Brown was quoted as saying “100% he’s here in August” - and usually Brown is the tip toe around question type - so that tells me they talked with him pre draft and did their homework. Which is what I like to see.

He’s a centerman and all I have read said he’s a very reliable defensive player. That’s what erie needed. We will see how he adjusts but this appears on the surface to have good potential. Next focus is on Alexander

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Good deal. Sounds like DB did a good job on this. Reading Jack Hughes recap on him, he sounds pretty good. I am glad that G-Pod will be back too. I think we will see much improved play from him, if for no other reason adjusting to the new coach and his style.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well it's definitely safe to say Cajka is coming now:

Too early lineup predictions anyone? I'll go off the assumption they don't trade Lodnia in the offseason and they get Alexander signed.

Maksimovich-Fowler-Lodnia
Poddubnyi-Cajka-Golod
Sproule-Gritz-Yetman
Alexander-Mack-Hoffman

Extras: Girhiny as an OA?, Matthew Giannini (2017 U18), Daniel D'Amato (2018 U18), Darius Vitug (2018 U18), Brendan Sellan (2017 5th)

Martin-Drysdale
Duff-Wainman
Beamish-Timmermans
Henry-Kischnick

May need to move a dman here to make room for Drysdale/Kischnick

Murphy
Oberoi

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Anyone else notice that Washington drafted Goaltender Mitchell Gibson in the 4th round? He's a former Otter pick. He's 19, but played NAHL (and dominated), not college hockey last season. He'd be a definite upgrade over Murphy and Oberoi.

Reactions: ottersguy

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Wasn't he related to John Gibson from the Pittsburgh area? Being that he played in the NAHL, how likely is it that he would report to Erie as opposed to going NCAA? The NAHL is pretty lame in my opinion. It is nowhere as good as the USHL. I have watched games in Jamestown NY and Johnstown, PA. Most of those kids end up playing Division II or Division III hockey.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Anyone else notice that Washington drafted Goaltender Mitchell Gibson in the 4th round? He's a former Otter pick. He's 19, but played NAHL (and dominated), not college hockey last season. He'd be a definite upgrade over Murphy and Oberoi.
When his name came up on draft day I immediately wondered if that was the same Gibson we own the rights to and yes it is. I have to be honest, I forgot about him probably 1-2 years ago. It’s very rare in this league and certainly for Erie that you sign I guy 2-3 years after initially drafting him. Gibson is currently committed to Harvard and that’s probably a better long term option for him as a 1999 than playing in Erie for maximum of 2 years. Headrick was a very rare situation and it was mostly related to us going on a title run and getting more NHL exposure.
If he has the talent though (and being a 4th round pick I have to believe he does) then one benefit of signing with Erie is getting tons of minutes the next 2 years. Oberoi is not the answer.. I see him as a best case scenario Dan Denkoning - an okay backup goalie. Murphy on the other hand to me has a higher ceiling. He had a .900 save percentage before collapsing at the last 2 weeks or so of the season. But I feel like he can be a solid starter in this league, maybe more.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well it's definitely safe to say Cajka is coming now:

Too early lineup predictions anyone? I'll go off the assumption they don't trade Lodnia in the offseason and they get Alexander signed.

Maksimovich-Fowler-Lodnia
Poddubnyi-Cajka-Golod
Sproule-Gritz-Yetman
Alexander-Mack-Hoffman

Extras: Girhiny as an OA?, Matthew Giannini (2017 U18), Daniel D'Amato (2018 U18), Darius Vitug (2018 U18), Brendan Sellan (2017 5th)

Martin-Drysdale
Duff-Wainman
Beamish-Timmermans
Henry-Kischnick

May need to move a dman here to make room for Drysdale/Kischnick

Murphy
Oberoi

That’s exactly how I would stack the lines to start the season the more I look at it. Brendan Sellan probably has the best chance to crack the roster but Golod came out of basically nowhere so you never know. Erie, more than most, has a knack for late round steals. Sellan or anyone else could be another..

I personally would not keep Girhiny. It’s not worth keeping him as a 4th liner but I have a feeling they will keep him. Imo though 4th line minutes In a rebuild year needs to go to the young guys. If Erie gets Alexander for instance, he should be locked into that. Hoffman and Mack are younger and with more potential

Defensively I think we move Wainman. As a 1999 he’s the odd more out. The only other option is Erie moves a 2000 (Timmermans, Beamish, Henry). But we can wait until next year to do that. Imo you keep Henry due to his size and Duff due to his talent/potential. Martin also has to stay, he’s our best guy.
Don’t forget about Dobson and Cooper, if one of them deserves to make the team out of camp - then Erie needs to move Wainman quickly and then ride 8 guys on the roster for a few weeks before deciding which 2000 to move..

OTTERSTOWN

Oct 19, 2015
In regards to goalies, Jackson Bernard was drafted by the Otters in 2017. He has some nice stats for Chicago Mission in the USHL. Any chance he shows up to training camp in August? He is currently not committed to NCAA. The Otters have not been able to land that elite goaltender for a few years now. Gibson and Colton Point would have been great to have in Erie but getting a degree from Harvard or Colgate is a better choice for the two of them. As for skaters, Kyle Schroeder does not have a commit either. It would be nice if he can be here in August also.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't see Mitchell Gibson coming here with a commit to Harvard.

Bernard on the other hand is someone I can see coming to Erie. I have mentioned him in the past, he's small but has had great stats and has a connection to Erie as his father was once a goalie for the Erie Panthers (and he's the GM of Rockford, where Raddysh signed). He came to rookie camp in May so he'll probably be at main camp, definitely someone to keep an eye on. Maybe he takes Oberoi's spot.

I would love if Erie landed Schroeder but that seems unlikely after he didn't come to rookie camp. Maybe he'll show at main camp though, it is true that he hasn't committed anywhere yet.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
In regards to goalies, Jackson Bernard was drafted by the Otters in 2017. He has some nice stats for Chicago Mission in the USHL. Any chance he shows up to training camp in August? He is currently not committed to NCAA. The Otters have not been able to land that elite goaltender for a few years now. Gibson and Colton Point would have been great to have in Erie but getting a degree from Harvard or Colgate is a better choice for the two of them. As for skaters, Kyle Schroeder does not have a commit either. It would be nice if he can be here in August also.

Schroeder would be a good one to get but like EON said, it seems unlikely at this point. I don’t believe he has ever been at any camps with the team so I don’t see it changing. But without him being committed, you never know.
Bernard will be an Otter one day if his talents allow him to be. From what I’ve heard, he has strong interest in Erie. I think the only way he doesn’t sign is if erie doesn’t offer him. I really hope he shows out in camp and gives us some net competition.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Any one hear anything about Shooter being renamed because of the league?
Not sure if there is any truth to it but the league did request the Guns and Hoses game be renamed.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I saw that Erie hired a goaltending coach with what seems to be pretty high credentials. He coached Corey Hart of the WHL, John Gibson, and some others. The news keeps getting better and better for the Otters.

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Just saw an interview Maksimovich had with Rockford. The tone sounded like he might be going there this year. Hopefully the guy interviewing was just being optimistic for him but that would be a blow for the room for sure.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, no doubt about that. On the other hand, I know that K-Mak was really hoping to play pro hockey and be with his buddies that are doing well at all levels. I am rooting for him. He is a real stand up guy.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Just saw an interview Maksimovich had with Rockford. The tone sounded like he might be going there this year. Hopefully the guy interviewing was just being optimistic for him but that would be a blow for the room for sure.

Believe Chicago has until Oct 4th to sign him and if they don't by then, his rights get released and he's a free agent again. So the training camp in September in Travers will be huge for him

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yes, no doubt about that. On the other hand, I know that K-Mak was really hoping to play pro hockey and be with his buddies that are doing well at all levels. I am rooting for him. He is a real stand up guy.
Yes I root for all the boys to find hockey or other career success once leaving Erie

I hope Mak pushes for a spot. Though I would say his odds favor him returning to Erie. As an undersized guy he really has to prove himself. Though I always thought Mak was solid and good at many things, he’s not a wow you player. He’s a well rounded guy who uses his hockey IQ to make plays. I’ll bet he ends up back in Erie because he’s a free agent guy that Chicago has no ties to but you never know.. he’s a really good camp away from making the AHL roster. But he will really have to earn it

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
For anyone interested this is a link to watch Dyrsdale’s shift at the U-17 camp last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad