Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
In terms of starting roster for 2017 opening night, I see the following (without any sort of camp numbers or preseason outings)

Maksimovich-Lodnia-Raddysh
Fellows-Poddubnyi-Sproule
Girhiny-Edwardson-Hoffmann
Sellan-Robinson-Shimizu

Fergus-Headrick
Sambrook-Byrne
Martin-Wainman
Duff-Timmermans

Murdaca
Oberoi

Edit: Misread. My bad.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I saw Oberoi in his start at North Bay. He looked pretty good to me. I met his parents and some of his relatives at the motel where we were staying. He is very tall and skinny. Physically, he reminds me of Matt Murray. If he plays anywhere near as good as MM did for SSM, we are cooking with gas.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
You see the article by John Dudley on goErie or in the paper? Titled "Advantages cheapened Windsor's Mem cup win"..

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I liked Murdaca, but if discipline is the problem, I can see why he would be moved.

Now I know I might get flamed on this one but do you think any damage control is being done? For whatever reason the Head Coach gave Timpano chance after chance to be the guy. Perhaps even to the point of having cost his team the Memorial Cup Championship? I appreciate that everyone wants to say the OHL Title is more important than the Mem Cup especially if you are an Erie fan, but I'm not so sure that would not be the consensus if they had won the Cup in my view?

So perhaps let it slip that Murdaca has behavioural issues and take away any second guessing of
Knoblauch? Basically by suggesting he was disciplining this bad apple rather than making a strategic decision that may appear to have been a bad one. Knoblauch potentially has nothing to do with this "slip" at all but it seems kind of convenient doesn't it?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Sounds like sour grapes to me

Or "factors" depending which side of the fence your on.

I think some of the points brought are valid. Its just perception as to wether you do or not.

Erie had a great year. I get feeling a little put off by not winning that one last close game. In no way does it diminish what they accomplished this and previous years.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Now I know I might get flamed on this one but do you think any damage control is being done? For whatever reason the Head Coach gave Timpano chance after chance to be the guy. Perhaps even to the point of having cost his team the Memorial Cup Championship? I appreciate that everyone wants to say the OHL Title is more important than the Mem Cup especially if you are an Erie fan, but I'm not so sure that would not be the consensus if they had won the Cup in my view?

So perhaps let it slip that Murdaca has behavioural issues and take away any second guessing of
Knoblauch? Basically by suggesting he was disciplining this bad apple rather than making a strategic decision that may appear to have been a bad one. Knoblauch potentially has nothing to do with this "slip" at all but it seems kind of convenient doesn't it?

Not really letting anything slip, but rather hearing it from a number of inside sources and those in the know. I think the reason for Timpano's continued usage has a lot to do with the problems with Murdaca.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Knights

I think some of the points brought are valid. Its just perception as to wether you do or not.

Erie had a great year. I get feeling a little put off by not winning that one last close game. In no way does it diminish what they accomplished this and previous years.

Oh there's my shadow, don't you know the Teflonman can always escape your sanctimonious grasp.
And yes Erie had a great season overall,had 2 chances to beat Windsor,and as their coach said, they had never faced a healthy Windsor team all season and this was after game 1.When healthy Windsor is good as anybody and they proved it,plus like Erie a difficult team to beat at home.

Oh there's my shadow, don't you know the Teflonman can always escape your sanctimonious grasp.
And yes Erie had a great season overall,had 2 chances to beat Windsor,and as their coach said, they had never faced a healthy Windsor team all season and this was after game 1.When healthy Windsor is good as anybody and they proved it,plus like Erie a difficult team to beat at home.

One week of good hockey does not a Champion make. Sorry HL. Congrats on the win...but like Windsor's other banners...this one has an asterisk

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

One week of good hockey does not a Champion make. Sorry HL. Congrats on the win...but like Windsor's other banners...this one has an asterisk

Know what you are referring re asterisks, don't recall seeing them in the latest Media Guide,though it was stated by the league that nothing occurred till after 2009,as for this Mem Cup win, Windsor played by the rules allowed for entry, should not be punished for doing so to de- legitimize after the fact is not fair to all the participants,no different then a team from a lesser quality league ie the West winning cause they got hot.I always say win on the ice not the boardroom.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think the article is much ado about nothing and I wouldn't even say it's an article more like an opinion. Everybody knew about this possibility going into the tournament, the guy can't come up with an alternative solution. I don't think it was excessive advantages either. I think the Spits just gained confidence after their 1st win, faced a really poor performing Seattle team and earned their wins against Erie. Just like in 2014 after a long layoff for London they came out hard against Val D'Or but couldn't get on the board and it set them on a bad course because Edmonton and Guelph were better teams imo. Still not a fan of a tournament that can reward a team going 1-2 and still somehow get them into a championship title game and even win it. I don't think a frozen four tourney format is the answer either.

I think a double elimination format would serve a better purpose. To the fans there's always something riding on a game. If you win the first game you go to the winners side and that next game is big because you may have an easier road. If you lose that 1st game your next game could be your last. In general even this year fans had a hard time gaining interest in Erie/Seattle, Seattle/Saint John/, Erie/Saint John. Whether it's a 4 team tournament, or a 8 team tournament can be discussed but it should be something to be considered.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Erie

I think the article is much ado about nothing and I wouldn't even say it's an article more like an opinion. Everybody knew about this possibility going into the tournament, the guy can't come up with an alternative solution. I don't think it was excessive advantages either. I think the Spits just gained confidence after their 1st win, faced a really poor performing Seattle team and earned their wins against Erie. Just like in 2014 after a long layoff for London they came out hard against Val D'Or but couldn't get on the board and it set them on a bad course because Edmonton and Guelph were better teams imo. Still not a fan of a tournament that can reward a team going 1-2 and still somehow get them into a championship title game and even win it. I don't think a frozen four tourney format is the answer either.

I think a double elimination format would serve a better purpose. To the fans there's always something riding on a game. If you win the first game you go to the winners side and that next game is big because you may have an easier road. If you lose that 1st game your next game could be your last. In general even this year fans had a hard time gaining interest in Erie/Seattle, Seattle/Saint John/, Erie/Saint John. Whether it's a 4 team tournament, or a 8 team tournament can be discussed but it should be something to be considered.

Rayzor

One of rare times we agree fairly solid post.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Whether it's a 4 team tournament, or a 8 team tournament can be discussed but it should be something to be considered.

After listening to all the flack about a none league championship team winning this year there is no way I want to see it expanded to league runner ups. It would not only open the door to hear about more non-legitimate winners winning the Memorial Cup; it was also make league championships less legitimate to some. I.E. it doesn't matter - we already qualified for the Memorial Cup.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
After listening to all the flack about a none league championship team winning this year there is no way I want to see it expanded to league runner ups. It would not only open the door to hear about more non-legitimate winners winning the Memorial Cup; it was also make league championships less legitimate to some. I.E. it doesn't matter - we already qualified for the Memorial Cup.
Break the CHL into 4 leagues - all 4 winners get in - drop mike.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

"Some of the points" ;) it is much ado about nothing just as many other gripes often are.

At first glance I like the idea of exploring some type of double elimination.

Add 2 games and you could keep the round robin. Seed 1-3 ( keep tie break if needed )
2 plays 3
Winner plays 1
2 losing teams play for one more shot
Championship.

Or just go straight up 4 team double knockout.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Why should it just be reserved for just winners of the league? In the frozen four and yes I don't think that will necessarily work for the CHL because of not enough money being in circulation. There are only 6 conferences in NCAA, so 10 other teams make this tournament and it's a success. Nobody has a problem with those other 10 teams why should there be an issue if the tournament went 8 teams double elimination. Choose the 3 league winners, 3 league losers and 2 wildcards. The issue is there isn't a format that will satisfy everyone but the system is broke and there needs to be a way to create more interest rather than in the way of a 4 team round robin format. If it's a 4 team double elimination you can have 2 games the opening day of the tournament which would generate huge interest. Rather than the host opening the tournament and the 2nd game with crickets.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA

Erie had to play 22 games to get to their OHL championship this year , and win 16 of them ..While you have to respect the Mem Cup and certainly what it stands for , the other 3 teams beat the tar out of each other ,were crowned CHAMPIONS,they traveled, they got injured, old injuries never healed, and rest and sleeping in your own bed with home cookin wasnt an option.. Your reward was now you go to the MEM Cup ...

No One from Erie ever said the games weren't legit...yep we lost..But pop 2 aspirin in your mouth and realize you dont have any water left, if your on the other side of this year- thats what it's like.. But 44 days to rest and recoup in hockey is unheard of..We played like 95 games this season, you can put fresh gas in the tank,but when your motor is wore out your not getting very far...How you can not at least acknowledge the facts is beyond me..Did you play for a 4 to 5 week OHL Championship this year, or just the single week (4 games) Mem Cup on home ice ...Heck Wsr lost 3 times in a row to Sarnia the last 3 weeks of the season..YES SARNIA...as someone mentioned re the cup "they were built for this "..No team has ever been ousted in the first round of the p/offs , had 44 days off, then won the Mem cup like this year..CHANGES NEED MADE..I just think a team who won a championship should win it..Its a championship series-right?One week of good hockey in 6 years and people mention that as a dynasty?? DODGE DYNASTY MAYBE..

PP31 is right, more asteriks to print....

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Why should it just be reserved for just winners of the league? In the frozen four and yes I don't think that will necessarily work for the CHL because of not enough money being in circulation. There are only 6 conferences in NCAA, so 10 other teams make this tournament and it's a success. Nobody has a problem with those other 10 teams why should there be an issue if the tournament went 8 teams double elimination. Choose the 3 league winners, 3 league losers and 2 wildcards. The issue is there isn't a format that will satisfy everyone but the system is broke and there needs to be a way to create more interest rather than in the way of a 4 team round robin format. If it's a 4 team double elimination you can have 2 games the opening day of the tournament which would generate huge interest. Rather than the host opening the tournament and the 2nd game with crickets.

I personally don't find the tournament itself broken. Always look forward to watching it either live or on tv. What I do find broken is the fact the league seems to need to charge almost $100 for a round robin game and $130 for the final.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Erie had to play 22 games to get to their OHL championship this year , and win 16 of them ..While you have to respect the Mem Cup and certainly what it stands for , the other 3 teams beat the tar out of each other ,were crowned CHAMPIONS,they traveled, they got injured, old injuries never healed, and rest and sleeping in your own bed with home cookin wasnt an option.. Your reward was now you go to the MEM Cup ...

No One from Erie ever said the games weren't legit...yep we lost..But pop 2 aspirin in your mouth and realize you dont have any water left, if your on the other side of this year- thats what it's like.. But 44 days to rest and recoup in hockey is unheard of..We played like 95 games this season, you can put fresh gas in the tank,but when your motor is wore out your not getting very far...How you can not at least acknowledge the facts is beyond me..Did you play for a 4 to 5 week OHL Championship this year, or just the single week (4 games) Mem Cup on home ice ...Heck Wsr lost 3 times in a row to Sarnia the last 3 weeks of the season..YES SARNIA...as someone mentioned re the cup "they were built for this "..No team has ever been ousted in the first round of the p/offs , had 44 days off, then won the Mem cup like this year..CHANGES NEED MADE..I just think a team who won a championship should win it..Its a championship series-right?One week of good hockey in 6 years and people mention that as a dynasty?? DODGE DYNASTY MAYBE..

PP31 is right, more asteriks to print....

Shawinigan had 31 days off and won the Memorial Cup. London had 34 days off and got swept out of the Memorial Cup. Saskatoon even had more rest than Windsor did I believe 47 days or so and they got eliminated in the semis. There's no rhyme or reason to why it worked for Shawinigan/Windsor and didn't work for Saskatoon/London. I am sure all 4 of those teams got to be well rested as well so just being rested doesn't ensure an advantage. You have no problem with Windsor winning but say changes need to be made?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Erie

This won't happen but I think should, The final game should be best 2 out of 3

I would agree with one caveat,if your team lost once already then,it's a one knockout,on the other hand if an undefeated loses, another game shall be played.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
This won't happen but I think should, The final game should be best 2 out of 3

Another suggestion worth exploring along with a double elimination as Razor suggested.
But its a 2 of 3 with no caveats ;).

I just think the hype of a 1 game winner take all ala March Madness gets the CHL n SN giddy.so itll stay as is for a few years. But it is losing momentum.

Ill guess in 5-10 years it'll look different. Whatever that is, i don't know. But Id guess some type of expended format.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Break the CHL into 4 leagues - all 4 winners get in - drop mike.

So what is the answer? Split the Q & the O into 3 different leagues?

What if a whole new tournament came up where the 3 league champions played the league champion of the USHL? Now that might be interesting indeed.....Or not the first few years anyway, the CHL would probably destroy the USHL teams for awhile.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
So what is the answer? Split the Q & the O into 3 different leagues?

What if a whole new tournament came up where the 3 league champions played the league champion of the USHL? Now that might be interesting indeed.....Or not the first few years anyway, the CHL would probably destroy the USHL teams for awhile.

Having 4 teams that are all league champions brings up a whole new set of questions. How do you handle it?

A) By playing best of 7 series? That would be 4 more weeks of hockey and potentially 14 more games for players as young as 16 years old. The season would extend to middle of June.

B) A tournament setup without a host team? There is a reason the league went to a host team in the 1980s - to attract more interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad