Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know the status of Headrick and Timmermans?

Both apparently "day to day" but Headrick expects to play this weekend which is great news, he's been pretty good this season and having to use a forward on D is problematic.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Today's game was a case of Boys vs. Men. The Rangers are loaded. Even with Headrick, it would have been a tough row to hoe. I commented to my wife that Kitchener looked like we did for the last 4 years. They are the best team I have seen so far in the EIA.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
actually i just think erie didnt play good. didnt wake up for the game, werent ready to go. doesnt help that you have 3 defenders out. im not impressed by kitchener by any means. they beat us. cool. most teams should. we are not more than a 7th-8th seed team WITH a full lineup. still super young and now banged up. not sure why hartsburg went back to the big 3 being together ...split them up

as for kitchener, unlesss they make more moves - i dont see them going very far.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie was very flat yesterday and I agree I'm not completely sold on Kitchener yet but they have the foundation to be a contender, we'll see if they make some moves.

I'm not a fan of the big 3 being together either but they played great yesterday. The problem is they were the only line doing anything at all. The Otters have enough talent to get a better performance than that.

The big problem is still the PK and goaltending.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie was very flat yesterday and I agree I'm not completely sold on Kitchener yet but they have the foundation to be a contender, we'll see if they make some moves.

I'm not a fan of the big 3 being together either but they played great yesterday. The problem is they were the only line doing anything at all. The Otters have enough talent to get a better performance than that.

The big problem is still the PK and goaltending.
that line is good when it clicks but like u say..nobody else can do much consistently. Erie has to stick to their MO, win games on effort and getting some bounces or dirty goals. Yesterday the effort was flat, hence the result

once Podd got hurt we went to Gritz/Golod/Robinson line. Dont necessarily hate that line as they have shown some spark but Golod was doing decent things with Raddysh
I would go back to this:
Maksimovich-Lodnia-Robinson
Golod-Poddubyni-Raddysh
Fellows-Mack-Girhiny

Gives you the most chance at balance and shelters the young or mostly inexperienced (Mack,Robinson,Golod) with 2 veterans. We just keep juggling the lines. I understand we had to with the Podd injury but the second he came back we should have went back to what sorta worked

That being said I cant complain with 7-7-1-1. Keep that pace up and be even a 15-20 team at the deadline and at least we should avoid an embarrassing 2012 or 2013 type season or Guelph's awfulness in 2015. At least this team is competitive most nights. Yes it will change after the deadline but with an added young piece for Raddysh, at least things wont look so bleak like they did in most of our rebuilds under Bassin

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
Hey Fellas
Going down to Florida for Xmas and catching NB and Erie on Dec 16th.
Any recommendations for clean hotels and dinner before the game?

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
If you want to stay away from Peach Street, try the Glass House Inn on 26th west. We stay there all the time. Rates are cheaper because of it's location (around $75.00 US). If you continue 4 miles further west on 26th, look for The Public House on the left. Being a Friday, you can get 2 craft beers and a pizza for around $10.00 between 4 and 6 pm. If you are there on Friday, and have a NB jersey on, I'll buy you a beer. We will be there for sure.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Man, that was one massive turd laid on the ice last night. The refs were awful, but in the end it wouldn't have made any difference. The top line generally stunk. The hustle wasn't there. I hope this isn't a trend. I knew we weren't going to be browbeaters this season, but I had been encouraged by the effort. Something is going on with this team.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Man, that was one massive turd laid on the ice last night. The refs were awful, but in the end it wouldn't have made any difference. The top line generally stunk. The hustle wasn't there. I hope this isn't a trend. I knew we weren't going to be browbeaters this season, but I had been encouraged by the effort. Something is going on with this team.
nothing is wrong with this team. they are basically a .500 team with more than half their roster in their 1st or 2nd year. 15 of 24 players to be exact. they are young. they are in a rebuild year.
every team lays an egg multiple times throughout the year. erie did it last year on more than a few occasions. They were talented enough to win some of those games or win games playing with half effort but this team doesnt have that luxury. OS took a big dump in erie (twice for that matter) a few weeks back. Every single team has it at every single level and in every sport. But with a rebuilding team in junior hockey - not sure what you can expect.
Some perspective for you:

in 2011-12 we started out
3-17 with 51GF and 99GA (-48GD)
in 2012-13 we started out
5-12-1-2 with 65GF and 79GA (-14GD)
this year?
8-9-2-1 with 76GF and 80GA (-4GD)

and those earlier teams had the “advantage” of not going for it for the previous 4 seasons – they had absolutely no excuse. what erie did the last 4 years was unprecedented. not even London could manage to all out “go for it” for 4 straight years – no sell off trades. Certainly they are the only ones that maybe, just maybe, could do it. And erie did it with more homegrown talent than majority of teams winning conference or league titles have. Nobody else could consider doing it. the expectations were 0 for me this year. I just was curious about the youth. And at least Golod, Gritz, Robinson have showed some things. we will see about patry, Sproule. But more positives than I expected. I said before and I will say again – if we win 20-25 games, consider it a job well done by the late rounder drafting/scouts/GM and the coaching. Either way im feeling better about our current youth than a team like windsor who didnt even go for it for 4 straight years

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, I understand all of what you stated. And, overall I am pleased with the direction this team is taking. I do get it. All I am saying is that for the first time in years we left in the middle of the 3rd because of the lack of effort. We had a 115 mile drive home, and it was clear to us they weren't going to win. They weren't hitting, shooting, passing well, or doing anything. They didn't do well in Hamilton the night before, the
Kitchener game was lackluster. The kids are trying, but the top line sometimes looks disinterested. I do understand that worries of trades, tournaments, and other things come into play. We noticed that the players weren't communicating with each other as in years past, either on the ice or the bench. That bothers me some. I hope that this isn't a trend.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
did someone forget to pay the electric bill in here? JEESH

Anybody going to the Thanksgiving Day game??? -they are always a good time..

Reactions: Animal House

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am not going to the game because of Thanksgiving travels. There is one bright spot on the Otter's roster that gets brighter every game. That would be Golod. I think we have a diamond in the rough with #77. I am just waiting for the shoe to drop. It may be any day now.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I am not going to the game because of Thanksgiving travels. There is one bright spot on the Otter's roster that gets brighter every game. That would be Golod. I think we have a diamond in the rough with #77. I am just waiting for the shoe to drop. It may be any day now.
much like Connor Brown,I think he just has to get bigger and stronger and work on the skills he already has. he is probably only 150-160lbs. So by adding bulk he will immediately get better. Has good quickness and good hockey senses/smarts. Things that are difficult to teach. Get stronger and the rest should come.

Was given a C rating for NHL Draft so others see it to. I want that kid getting top 6 minutes with Raddysh until we ship Radd off. Could really help his game to get this (limited) time with him. Then of course I expect to see him get top 6 mins the rest of the season. Between him and Gritz there are some positives. Robinson as well. Really just need to Sproule to pan out - another player who just seems like his size (or lack thereof) is hurting him

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Your team most likely sells and probably is a near miss for the playoffs; but right now, you must be enjoying one of the best home records

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Today's game was a case of Boys vs. Men. The Rangers are loaded. Even with Headrick, it would have been a tough row to hoe. I commented to my wife that Kitchener looked like we did for the last 4 years. They are the best team I have seen so far in the EIA.
The hounds just beat them 8-2 they didn't look like you guys at all would love to see Radish on a line with Frost and Katchouk what would it take to get Radish in the red and white he would complete that line would be the best line in the CHL

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The hounds just beat them 8-2 they didn't look like you guys at all would love to see Radish on a line with Frost and Katchouk what would it take to get Radish in the red and white he would complete that line would be the best line in the CHL

kitchener is not elite imo and i have said this since since september. They added Sherwood but paid a ton and he is not a top tier talent. Unless they make more moves they likely arent making it to the finals or winning a championship. And I question their coaching. Kitchener is not even close to what Erie was in 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2016-17. But particularly last year where erie had chemistry, star power, depth, defense, and coaching. All categories where erie was slightly or much better than Kitchener currently is. Kitchener just doesnt seem that cohesive to me. But to be fair, there are no teams in the OHL right now that would stack up with at least the last 4 ohl champions. Nobody. Unless some team makes multiple huge moves, there is not going to be that clear top team. At least at this time last year, Erie had Strome/Cernak back and they looked primed for a run. Oshawa/Guelph were showing their coaching/chemistry in 2014 and 2015 and it was going to allow them to make significant run once they made necessary moves.

Tbh this reminds me of 2015-16. There is no clear top team. Sarnia has the record but so did Kitchener/Erie in 2015-16. I just dont see a ton of veteran offensive superstars this season on the top teams. Raddysh thus could be the biggest move on the deadline to put a team over the top. OS is the closest. A goalie and a top 6 forward would solve alot of their current issues.

as for the raddysh price - start with 2 2nds, 2 3rds and a young player. Erie is going to push hard for a 2001. Whoever is willing and able to move their 2001 forward will have the early edge on getting him. But be assured that multiple teams are already figuring out the price for Radd. Erie is already figuring out which teams they can play hardball with. They have something in their mind. But Dave Brown will move him to whoever gives best offer..but not first without trying to scoop a 2001.

Last edited:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I agree that none of the current teams in the OHL are anywhere near as good as Erie and some of the other recent teams in the OHL. As to Sarnia, I was not impressed at all. We outskated and outplayed them, and had a good chance to beat them except for a marginal call at the end of the game. I couldn't see what happened to G-Pod right before the call, but it appeared he was hit in the neck/throat area. He went to the bench, and then returned to the ice. During a pile-up he lost his chin strap or had it pulled off. The Sarnia bench bosses clamored to let the ref know, and a penalty was called. And so it goes. The boys played very well, and left it all on the ice. I hope that TR doesn't end up in Sarnia. He deserves better than that. Coach Hatcher is such a positive role model for the players with such a sunny disposition.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Alex was the 1st star for the night on the NHL network here in the states. I have friends in Chicago and they are really excited about Whiskers. Nothing would make me happier than to see DeBrincat make the rookie of the year. He is one of the more amazing stories in recent hockey memory, and he is such a nice kid to boot. He has earned everything by hard work and determination.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Was back in Erie for thanksgiving, got to see the games against Ottawa and Sarnia.

Against Ottawa played great in the first 40 minutes then stopped skating in the third and Ottawa punished them. Timpano did a great job in the shootout and Golod made a nice move to win it.

I agree with you buzzworthy, I was not impressed with Sarnia at all. I'm not sure how they have the record that they do because I felt Erie outplayed them pretty badly and just was stymied by Fazio/blew a few good chances. That penalty was questionable at best.

Great to see how well DeBrincat is doing. Strome also played extremely well in the AHL and just got called back up to Arizona. I hope he earns his spot for good. It's really just pace of play that's holding him back, he has such a high skill level.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Lol.

Erie fans just cannot give SSM credit...

Best winning % in entire chl, and the team doesnt get mentioned once in this thread lol!!!!!!

Fowler, 2 2nds, 3rd , 4th conditional that turns into a 3rd if Raddysh comes back.

Hows that to get him into the red and white

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Lol.

Erie fans just cannot give SSM credit...

Best winning % in entire chl, and the team doesnt get mentioned once in this thread lol!!!!!!

Fowler, 2 2nds, 3rd , 4th conditional that turns into a 3rd if Raddysh comes back.

Hows that to get him into the red and white

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic? Erie fans have discussed the teams the team has faced, Erie and SSM haven't played each other yet.

I would do that deal if I was Dave Brown.

Reactions: HF92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia