Eric Zweig: Hockey and Olympic History

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
Last week, the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association announced that they had reached an agreement with the International Olympic Committee to confirm the participation of NHL players at the Beijing Winter Olympics this coming February. COVID may have the final word on that, and you can certainly argue whether or not Canadians — or anyone — should be participating at all, given the continued incarceration of the two Michaels. (But is it right to use athletes for diplomatic purposes? Would China even listen?)

Hockey, as you may know, has been a part of the Olympics since before there were the Winter Games. The Winter Olympics began in Chamonix, France, in 1924, but hockey (and figure skating) had been part of the competition four years earlier when a spring sports festival was held in April of 1920 as part of the Olympic Games held later that summer in Antwerp, Belgium.

I’ve written about the 1920 Olympics, and Canada’s first Olympic hockey team — the Winnipeg Falcons — on my web site before (on February 21, 2018 and on February 3, 2015). Still, I thought I’d use the NHL’s announcement as a chance to determine exactly when the decision was made to include hockey at Antwerp in 1920.

olympics-22_24-jpg.464182

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics logo and a 1924 Winter Olympics poster

As I discovered in 2018, Antwerp had bid to host the 1920 Olympics back in 1912, but no decision was reached before the outbreak of World War I. Shortly after the Armistice on November 11, 1918, the IOC offered Antwerp the first choice to hold the Games in 1920 if the Belgians still wanted to do so. The move was seen as a way to honour the suffering of the Belgian people during the War.

Apparently, the Belgian Athletic Federation met on March 15, 1919, to discuss hosting the Olympics. It was decided to go ahead … provided the Games could be postponed until 1921. Stockholm (which had hosted in 1912) and Havana were said to be interested in hosting in 1920, and a few days later, reports would indicate that Rome, and perhaps Geneva, were also in contention. (Online sources say Amsterdam, Lyon, Atlanta, Budapest, Cleveland, and Philadelphia were in the running too.) But by April 3, 1919, it appears that Antwerp was good to go for 1920 and the city was confirmed as the Olympic host (as reported in newspapers the following day).

I also knew from previous research that the official program and schedule for the Antwerp Olympics was announced on December 16, 1919. Hockey was included for April, 1920. (Figure skating would be added later.) Still, I reasoned that couldn’t actually be the first time that anyone knew there was going to be a hockey tournament at the Olympics. But I never found an earlier date because … well … I got distracted!

I got distracted because I discovered that on Friday, December 26, 1919, the city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, entered a bid to host the 1924 Summer Olympics. This would appear to make Halifax the first Canadian city to go after the Olympics, well before Montreal landed the Summer Games of 1976 and even before that city had bid back in 1929 to host the Winter Games of 1932.

olympics-halifax-jpg.464183

New York Tribune, December 28, 1919, and the Calgary Herald, January 15, 1920.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any Halifax newspapers with archives that are searchable online, but various other newspapers across Canada and the United States confirm the “Blue Nose” bid in the following days. The New York Tribune on Sunday, December 28, 1919, and The Globe in Toronto on December 29 note that the Halifax Olympic bid “follows the decision reached at a provincial convention in this city early in the month.” And, apparently, Halifax also wanted to host an International Exposition (World’s Fair) in 1924 — long before Montreal hosted Expo in 1967.

Both the Olympic and World’s Fair bids would be confirmed on January 14, 1920. “That all facilities required for the Olympic games, to be held at Halifax in 1924, will be provided, is the guarantee which the executive board of the International Exposition for Nova Scotia has cabled to the authorities in Europe…” reported the Calgary Herald the next day.

Yet by March of 1920, it was apparent that not all was well:

Halifax, Nova Scotia, March 11. – Halifax business men who are interested in the proposal to try to obtain the 1924 Olympic games for this city, are conducting a preliminary canvass to determine the best means of meeting the housing problem. Unless conditions are greatly improved, it is hardly possible that Halifax will be selected, newspapers have pointed out. It is claimed that the present facilities would hardly provide quarters for 8,000 visitors, whereas it is estimated that 100,000 would have to be accommodated if the Olympiad were awarded to the Maritime city. One plan under discussion is to provide great temporary dormitories around the city to supplement the buildings and hotels which are being planned for construction before 1924.

That story appeared in The Bismarck Tribune (Bismarck, North Dakota) on March 11, 1920.
It’s the last story I’ve found about Halifax and the 1924 Olympics.

olympics-20_24-jpg.464184
]

Obviously, Halifax didn’t win the bid. In the end, the city wasn’t even in the running when Paris was chosen.

It was stated for a while that the host for the 1924 Summer Olympics would be selected at the 1920 Antwerp Games. Instead, the decision was put off until a meeting of the IOC in Lausanne, Switzerland, on June 3, 1921. By then, Paris had emerged as the favourite in a competition that also included Amsterdam (who would instead be awarded the 1928 Games), Barcelona, Los Angeles (1932), Prague, and Rome.

Paris, which had first hosted the Olympics in 1904, will host for the third time in 2024, with Los Angeles getting its third in 2028 (L.A. also hosted in 1984) followed by Brisbane, Australia, in 2032. After the Winter Games in Beijing in 2022, next up will be the Italian cities of Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo in 2026. The host city for the 2030 Winter Olympics is expected to be announced in 2023. Vancouver and Quebec City are said to be among the cities considering bids.

[For the original post and lots of other information, please visit ericzweig.com.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
So when Halifax was dreaming of the Olympics in 1919/1920, the prospect was that the city would also host the hockey tournament as there were no separate Winter Games yet.

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
That's an interesting thought... but I sort of doubt that hockey had become a "permanent" part of the Olympics just because it was (at this point) going to be included at Antwerp.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
That's an interesting thought... but I sort of doubt that hockey had become a "permanent" part of the Olympics just because it was (at this point) going to be included at Antwerp.

Fair point. I guess we'd have to study the minutes of the IOC meetings and letters of the leading officials to learn more.

But if Halifax was a more viable option for hosting the Olympics, there could indeed have been Olympic hockey in Canada as early as 1924.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
olympics-22_24-jpg.464182

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics logo and a 1924 Winter Olympics poster

It's crazy how different these two look in comparison, style wise. And no offense to the one on the left, I know it's supposed to be an homage to Chinese culture, and that's nice, but the whole generic font and layout thing looks like something I could have come up with myself in Microsoft Paint in-between two school classes in 1997. I also really can't tell it apart from any of the other post millennial Olympic logos. The one on the right is a bit dull too, but at least I can see what it's trying to depict. I googled the one on the left, and apparently it's showing a runner crossing a finish line.

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
It's crazy how different these two look in comparison, style wise. And no offense to the one on the left, I know it's supposed to be an homage to Chinese culture, and that's nice, but the whole generic font and layout thing looks like something I could have come up with myself in Microsoft Paint in-between two school classes in 1997. I also really can't tell it apart from any of the other post millennial Olympic logos. The one on the right is a bit dull too, but at least I can see what it's trying to depict. I googled the one on the left, and apparently it's showing a runner crossing a finish line.
Except there aren't runners crossing a finish line in very many Winter Olympic sports! (I thought maybe it was a stylized downhill ski racer in a tuck.) The image from 1924 appears to just be one of many posters, as opposed to a true logo or "official" image. I liked it because it showed hockey ...

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
Fair point. I guess we'd have to study the minutes of the IOC meetings and letters of the leading officials to learn more.

But if Halifax was a more viable option for hosting the Olympics, there could indeed have been Olympic hockey in Canada as early as 1924.
I don't recall when the decision was made to host a winter competition in Chamonix. It was probably after the Summer Games had already been awarded to Paris. (I seem to remember that they were only retroactively dubbed the first Winter Olympics after 1924 ... but that might be wrong.) Perhaps if Halifax had actually won the bid, there might have been a separate winter competition in Montreal or Quebec City. Don't know enough to really say at this point...

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Very interesting! Did not know that Halifax was in the discussions of 1924 olympics.

Slightly derailing, but do you know anything about the possibility of ice hockey tournament in 1908 Olympics. It was talked quite a bit from spring to fall in 1908 in NA papers. Though I haven´t really find anything from English papers. I do not believe that hockey was played there? The first announcement from the tournament also came at weird time (before forming of LIHG) Sometimes I have wondered if they mix it with field hockey, but it was in news so long time so it would have been odd if nobody found out that mistake. Nevertheless it was odd to read Olympic team speculation from that far away (Atleast Billy Strachan and Clarence McKerrow were rumoured).

olympics1908.jpg

Vancouver Dail World 1 Aug 1908
From the Canadian lacrosse team will be chosen seven players to represent Canada in the Olympic ice hockey tournament. this has been decided upon as the result of communications between Ald. William Foran, chairman of the Canadian commitee, and Mr. Benjamin Hawes, of England, who is looking after the lacrosse and hockey tourneys. Mr Hawes recently wrote Ald. Foran enquiring as to the possibilities of Canada sending a hockey team over. The ice hockey tourney is to take place after the lacrosse series, and the games will be played on artificial ice. The American have entered a team, and seven or eight English septettes will take part. Mr. Hawes informed that Canada had decided not to sen a hockey team, but suggested that Mr. Foran select a seven from his lacrosse team and enter it formally...

Calgary Herald 15 Aug 1908
There appear to be a great deal of misapprehension in easter Canada and especially in the Montreal press, with regard to the ice-hockey tournament which is to take place in the Prince´s club, London, next October.

It is being spoken of here and there as an Olympic championhip.

It is not an Olympic championship. It is a matter of fact, an international ice hockey championship and is being conducted by the International Skating union of Europe...

Reactions: kaiser matias

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Very interesting! Did not know that Halifax was in the discussions of 1924 olympics.

Slightly derailing, but do you know anything about the possibility of ice hockey tournament in 1908 Olympics. It was talked quite a bit from spring to fall in 1908 in NA papers. Though I haven´t really find anything from English papers. I do not believe that hockey was played there? The first announcement from the tournament also came at weird time (before forming of LIHG) Sometimes I have wondered if they mix it with field hockey, but it was in news so long time so it would have been odd if nobody found out that mistake. Nevertheless it was odd to read Olympic team speculation from that far away (Atleast Billy Strachan and Clarence McKerrow were rumoured).

View attachment 464532

Vancouver Dail World 1 Aug 1908
From the Canadian lacrosse team will be chosen seven players to represent Canada in the Olympic ice hockey tournament. this has been decided upon as the result of communications between Ald. William Foran, chairman of the Canadian commitee, and Mr. Benjamin Hawes, of England, who is looking after the lacrosse and hockey tourneys. Mr Hawes recently wrote Ald. Foran enquiring as to the possibilities of Canada sending a hockey team over. The ice hockey tourney is to take place after the lacrosse series, and the games will be played on artificial ice. The American have entered a team, and seven or eight English septettes will take part. Mr. Hawes informed that Canada had decided not to sen a hockey team, but suggested that Mr. Foran select a seven from his lacrosse team and enter it formally...

Calgary Herald 15 Aug 1908
There appear to be a great deal of misapprehension in easter Canada and especially in the Montreal press, with regard to the ice-hockey tournament which is to take place in the Prince´s club, London, next October.

It is being spoken of here and there as an Olympic championhip.

It is not an Olympic championship. It is a matter of fact, an international ice hockey championship and is being conducted by the International Skating union of Europe...

Now that's certainly interesting, even if the Calgary Herald says it was not an Olympic championship but an international championship envisioned for October 1908. I guess the Chamonix Cup in January 1909, the first "big" international tournament in Europe, ended up replacing the proposed London tournament?

As you mention, the LIHG/IIHF had not been founded yet, but instead the "International Skating Union" is mentioned. This association also appears in an IIHF article dedicated to the founding of the international ice hockey federation:

"Louis Magnus wanted to create a unified set of rules for the sport called ice hockey rather than have games played all over Europe using a list of rules arbitrarily composed for each event. However, the International Ice Skating Union couldn't have cared less about Magnus's wishes; it had bigger concerns to deal with. Magnus, then, decided to form his own association. Called the Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace (LIHG), this would be a body devoted solely to ice hockey (which the IISU wasn't) and devoted to promoting the game and setting a codified set of rules."​

So before the LIHG was formed, hockey enthusiasts like Louis Magnus tried to work for Canadian hockey within the frame of the International Ice Skating Union, but in the end they didn't find the necessary support, which prompted them to leave and found an ice hockey federation of its own.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Now that's certainly interesting, even if the Calgary Herald says it was not an Olympic championship but an international championship envisioned for October 1908. I guess the Chamonix Cup in January 1909, the first "big" international tournament in Europe, ended up replacing the proposed London tournament?

As you mention, the LIHG/IIHF had not been founded yet, but instead the "International Skating Union" is mentioned. This association also appears in an IIHF article dedicated to the founding of the international ice hockey federation:

"Louis Magnus wanted to create a unified set of rules for the sport called ice hockey rather than have games played all over Europe using a list of rules arbitrarily composed for each event. However, the International Ice Skating Union couldn't have cared less about Magnus's wishes; it had bigger concerns to deal with. Magnus, then, decided to form his own association. Called the Ligue Internationale de Hockey sur Glace (LIHG), this would be a body devoted solely to ice hockey (which the IISU wasn't) and devoted to promoting the game and setting a codified set of rules."​

So before the LIHG was formed, hockey enthusiasts like Louis Magnus tried to work for Canadian hockey within the frame of the International Ice Skating Union, but in the end they didn't find the necessary support, which prompted them to leave and found an ice hockey federation of its own.

Yes that is my best guess too. Though if the discussion between William Foran (William Foran - Wikipedia) and Benjamin Hawes (who indeed was responsible of lacrosse in Council oh the British Olympic Association) are correct it may have bren planned to be atleast demonstration sport in London Olympics at some point.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Yes that is my best guess too. Though if the discussion between William Foran (William Foran - Wikipedia) and Benjamin Hawes (who indeed was responsible of lacrosse in Council oh the British Olympic Association) are correct it may have bren planned to be atleast demonstration sport in London Olympics at some point.

Yes and it's indeed hard to understand how those names could have ended up in that report if they didn't talk about it at all.

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
I didn't know anything about hockey being considered for the Olympics in 1908. I did know that figure skating WAS included as part of the London Olympics ... and that that competition was held in October. So, they certainly could have added hockey then, and if so, it would at least have been "unofficially" a part of the Olympics. (Wouldn't be very different from the hockey and figure skating competitions which took place in April of 1920 before the Antwerp Olympics ... and hockey people have long debated whether that was truly an Olympic event or a World Championship.) All very interesting. Thanks!

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I didn't know anything about hockey being considered for the Olympics in 1908. I did know that figure skating WAS included as part of the London Olympics ... and that that competition was held in October. So, they certainly could have added hockey then, and if so, it would at least have been "unofficially" a part of the Olympics. (Wouldn't be very different from the hockey and figure skating competitions which took place in April of 1920 before the Antwerp Olympics ... and hockey people have long debated whether that was truly an Olympic event or a World Championship.) All very interesting. Thanks!

Yeah there is similarities there. When I went through English papers that second part of 1908 olympics were often even called Olympic Winter games. It would have made sense to add some actual winter games in there even as demonstration sport.

But there is ton of odd stuff involving it. I haven´t seen any mentions of ice hockey in English papers. I don´t know what that American team supposedly selected was. 7 or 8 British hockey teams seems bit weird too. Needs more research.

Reactions: Eric Zweig

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
The article you have from the Vancouver on August 1, 1908 appeared earlier (July 21, 1908) in the Montreal Gazette and the Ottawa Citizen. Quite a bit of into in the Gazette story:
The_Gazette_Tue__Jul_21__1908_.jpg

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
In a quick search, here is all I can find about a 1908 Olympic hockey tournament in a newspaper in London England:
London Olympics Hockey 1908_03_28.jpg

Reactions: Sanf

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
In addition to figure skating, there don't actually appear to be any other winter sports that took place during the London Olympics. The lacrosse competition wasn't held until October 24. I wonder if that was considered a winter sport? (Though a bunch of other sports also weren't played until October.) As I knew from this summer, Canada and Great Britain were the only countries represented in lacrosse ... and they only played one game, which Canada won 14-10. According to Wikipedia, South Africa was apparently supposed to send a team but withdrew before the tournament.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
In a quick search, here is all I can find about a 1908 Olympic hockey tournament in a newspaper in London England: View attachment 464628

Yeah that is the one that was circulating in American and I believe few Canadian papers too (with few differences). So it indeed was also published in English papers. I did try to find out who was H. D. Faith, but did not have success.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
In addition to figure skating, there don't actually appear to be any other winter sports that took place during the London Olympics. The lacrosse competition wasn't held until October 24. I wonder if that was considered a winter sport? (Though a bunch of other sports also weren't played until October.) As I knew from this summer, Canada and Great Britain were the only countries represented in lacrosse ... and they only played one game, which Canada won 14-10. According to Wikipedia, South Africa was apparently supposed to send team but withdrew before the tournament.

I think that they considered it as winter sport. Stadium sports did seem to count as some sort of winter sport to them. Football and Rugby too.

Eric Zweig

Dec 4, 2020
Got 40 hits searching newspapers for "H.D Faith" (a lot fewer for Harry or Harry Docwra Faith) ... but nothing very interesting. Here are a couple of them:
HD Faith.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad