Speculation: Eric, Ward, Skinner on trading block?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Eric but not Jordan? As one goes, both go? Although a $14m trade for the two of them seems tough to piece together ...

Skinner? Anybody actually want to trade him? He looks cheap and young and amazing.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
This is something that just came to me, when someone mentioned a seemingly "untogether" culture in the locker room. Gleason, supposedly, was asked by Muller to fight more, and he didn't want to. His contract was an albatross, so shipping him out wasn't controversial.

Similarly, Ruutu had a bad contract. He also, supposedly, didn't get along with Muller. His trade didn't really stir up any bad feelings, because again he was on the downside.

Now, it's being talked about that Ward (also, supposedly an anti-Muller guy) and E Staal and Skinner are being shopped. I have a theory...Just throwing it out there:

What if JR has deemed Muller to be "the guy?" Much like Lindy Ruff was in Buffalo? The players were held accountable, with their jobs, because the coach had the absolute full support of the owner and GM. If they underperform, THEY' RE out and not the coach.

I know this'll drive one poster in particular nuts. But again, just throwing it out there.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I figured Ward was gone and I could live without Captain Lethargy, but I can't imagine we'd trade Hockey Bieber. He's well on his way to another 30 goal season and seems to work well with Elias

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Ward, yeah probably. Eric, not likely unless Jordan goes too.

Skins I would be most opposed to trading. He's 21 and is coming up on 30 goals again this year even after missing time. He would be perfect to build around with Lindholm in the middle if they take that route. The only way I see Skinner moved is for similar aged talent to form a young rock solid D pairing that will be good for a while. Just don't see that happening.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ward I can see, hell it's no secret we were shopping him earlier this year and probably just couldn't get good value.

Eric and Skinner are.... what?

This is something that just came to me, when someone mentioned a seemingly "untogether" culture in the locker room. Gleason, supposedly, was asked by Muller to fight more, and he didn't want to. His contract was an albatross, so shipping him out wasn't controversial.

Similarly, Ruutu had a bad contract. He also, supposedly, didn't get along with Muller. His trade didn't really stir up any bad feelings, because again he was on the downside.

Now, it's being talked about that Ward (also, supposedly an anti-Muller guy) and E Staal and Skinner are being shopped. I have a theory...Just throwing it out there:

What if JR has deemed Muller to be "the guy?" Much like Lindy Ruff was in Buffalo? The players were held accountable, with their jobs, because the coach had the absolute full support of the owner and GM. If they underperform, THEY' RE out and not the coach.

I know this'll drive one poster in particular nuts. But again, just throwing it out there.

It's possible, cause god knows that nothing else has worked the past few years. That said, surprising that Eric and especially Skinner are seemingly on the outs if true.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've never been in the chair of a GM, I just pretend to, but does anyone else think it's a complete non-story when a couple of players are determined to be "on the block" after the trade deadline several weeks before trading will start again?

Eric Staal will be a Cane next year. Ward is something we already knew and Skinner is something we've been talking about for what seems like 5 years.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Eric has a huge contract, but how exactly are you replacing his 75 points? I can't see Jordan doing it, first line minutes and linemates or not, and you're not getting fair value for him. I just don't see how trading him makes the team better.

The system is not exactly overflowing with talent.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Eric has a huge contract, but how exactly are you replacing his 75 points? I can't see Jordan doing it, first line minutes and linemates or not, and you're not getting fair value for him. I just don't see how trading him makes the team better.

Talking hypothetically (I really don't think we're trading Eric), isn't that what Lindholm is supposedly going to do?

Depending on the value we get back it could be a good idea. But finding a taker will be tough, and getting the right stuff back will be tougher. And, knowing JR, he'll pick up a good part of the salary in order to make a move work. I say no thank you.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It may not be about replacing points. There are a lot of examples of teams that don't have "THE" guy like Eric, but instead replace that with depth and secondary scoring. The Blues, as they are right now, are a great example.

It's also quite possible that this isn't about making the team better for next year, but making the team better in the long run.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I'm not saying it's a tank...but he's worth more in what he returns for a rebuild than he's worth in the midst of a rebuild that he's likely to be facing the downside of his career by the time it's complete.

Not looking to replace his 75pts. Don't care if the Canes get 35 pts. next season from what he returns in trade. Looking to get 2 or 3 pieces that will be part of the next core of this team for the next half-decade. Why go that route? Because the system is not exactly overflowing with talent. We can't develop top young talent so the only way to get it is to trade veterans in their primes.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Talking hypothetically (I really don't think we're trading Eric), isn't that what Lindholm is supposedly going to do?

Depending on the value we get back it could be a good idea. But finding a taker will be tough, and getting the right stuff back will be tougher. And, knowing JR, he'll pick up a good part of the salary in order to make a move work. I say no thank you.

Sure, that's the goal for Lindholm, but how quickly is he going to reach it? And will it be at center or wing? Wouldn't it be better to have both Staals and Lindholm versus just Jordan and Lindholm?

Only four teams have the cap space to make Eric's hit fit: Calgary, NY Islanders, Florida, and Colorado. The first three have their own budget which probably prevents such a deal, and the Avs already have a bunch of centers. If JR were to hold back salary, it kind of defeats the purpose of moving him. Even holding back $3 million only frees up Buffalo, Edmonton, and Ottawa, and I'm not sure I see Buffalo or Edmonton even considering it. Ottawa, maybe, but probably not.

I realize that the cap is going up and that teams will have expiring contracts to add more room, but moving such a big contract is really hard to get value for. If we say that Eric is a 70 point scorer for the next couple years, would $5-6 million and a few B level prospects and picks make this team better? I'm not sure it would.

Ward is almost surely gone, and Skinner could bring back much more, but I just don't see moving Eric as realistic or beneficial in the long run. Check back in a little less than two years, though, when his contract is expiring. Ideally, JR will have had extensive talks about lowering his salary, and if he's unwilling, he'd probably bring back so much more value as a rental piece. Assuming the 'Cane still suck then, which seems likely.

EDIT: Also worth noting that Eric has a no trade clause. Most players tend to waive it if asked, but with Jordan here, Jared in Charlotte (for now) and Marc possibly on the horizon, I could see him refusing to waive it. He's been here for 11 years. He's got a family and a life.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sure, that's the goal for Lindholm, but how quickly is he going to reach it? And will it be at center or wing? Wouldn't it be better to have both Staals and Lindholm versus just Jordan and Lindholm?

Only four teams have the cap space to make Eric's hit fit: Calgary, NY Islanders, Florida, and Colorado. The first three have their own budget which probably prevents such a deal, and the Avs already have a bunch of centers. If JR were to hold back salary, it kind of defeats the purpose of moving him. Even holding back $3 million only frees up Buffalo, Edmonton, and Ottawa, and I'm not sure I see Buffalo or Edmonton even considering it. Ottawa, maybe, but probably not.

I realize that the cap is going up and that teams will have expiring contracts to add more room, but moving such a big contract is really hard to get value for. If we say that Eric is a 70 point scorer for the next couple years, would $5-6 million and a few B level prospects and picks make this team better? I'm not sure it would.

Ward is almost surely gone, and Skinner could bring back much more, but I just don't see moving Eric as realistic or beneficial in the long run. Check back in a little less than two years, though, when his contract is expiring. Ideally, JR will have had extensive talks about lowering his salary, and if he's unwilling, he'd probably bring back so much more value as a rental piece. Assuming the 'Cane still suck then, which seems likely.

I agree with all of this. I was speaking in a vacuum, IF a deal were in place we'd have to at least consider it. No one is really in a position to add Staal though.

Doesn't really take away from your point, but the math on who has the cap room assumes that we'd be trading $8 million in salary without taking any roster players back, which is quite unlikely.

Hornswaggle

Mar 21, 2013
Raleigh
Ward, obviously, has been on the block for a while, but Eric and Skinner? I just don't see it. Skinner was previously after coming off a rough, injury plagued year, but hes gotten his game back on track and it on pace for over 30 goals again. You don't just trade young talent like that and build a successful team.

Eric? I don't feel like the Canes could get anywhere near the value for him that he should command. This is a guy who was drafted by the team, has played every game of his NHL career here and is the captain. I just don't think you trade guys like that unless they want out. Obviously its a bit different, but look at the Francis trade for the Whalers. They lost their team identity after Francis left. Who would be the face of the franchise without Eric? I don't see anyone stepping up into the captain role, which even if he isn't one of the better ones, I don't know who on the team would do a better job.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I have no problem with them exploring moving anyone and everyone on this roster given our past and current results. For the right price, I'd move anyone on this roster. I think we need a lot of changes at this point. I just don't know if we have any of the right people making those decisions.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Jeff Skinner doesn't fit. It's a stupid thing to say for a 21 year old that's going to score 30 for the 2nd time in his career, but everywhere he's slotted, it just doesn't really work with this roster.

You deal him for a guy like Evander Kane, or another young talent like that, who's a little less one-dimensional, and I think things could be fine. I like watching the kid play, but he just doesn't seem to be able to turn off the instinct to focus solely on offense regardless of the situation.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Please give us Eric Staal.

We can give you Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, a 1st round pick and a prospect.

Come on! Please?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So an overhyped 2nd line center, an overrated 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman, a midrange 1st and a nameless prospect? Where do I sign up? :help:

If we're going to have terrible proposals, lets keep them to the trade board, where all the fans can attempt to unload the players that they insist are really good, yet show up in every single proposal involving their team.

*coughEdlercough*

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
So an overhyped 2nd line center, an overrated 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman, a midrange 1st and a nameless prospect? Where do I sign up? :help:

You may not take the package of Kadri/Gardiner/1st/Prospect but Kadri is not overhyped, Gardiner is not overrated and just because a prospect is nameless to you doesn't mean that he won't be very good. Whatever the asking price is for Staal, if he were to be available this summer, you can bet your ass the Maple Leafs will be in on it.

So in the event that it miraculously happens, I'd get to know other players around the league. Just in case they end up as Canes. It's evident that you don't with your comments about Kadri and Gardiner. Neither are superstars but Kadri would be 3rd in team scoring for you guys and Gardiner would be the most promising defenceman in your organization not named Justin Faulk or Andrej Sekera.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad