Player Discussion Eric Staal

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I have never thought Staal looked good. I think he is benefiting from being on that line and the media praising his play. But I think that line could only be better if they had someone younger on it. I'd even try Tatar at this point. He can just sneak into scoring position while Armia and Perry work the boards.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Staal was a rookie and made that awful giveaway tonight... @Habs Halifax would want him benched cause he's a rookie and only rookies make mistakes.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A healthy Evans would be a huge upgrade on Staal but I don't see them sitting the vet. I would put Evans with Byron and Anderson and put KK with Perry and Armia.

Armia and Perry are completely carrying Staal who looks incredibly slow and entirely without an iota of skill. If Poehling was healthy I think he would be perfect between Armia and Perry.

I would like this to be the end of the Staal/Gustafsson era tonight but not holding my breath on that one.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He makes lots of good little plays with and without the puck, that was a big flub... thank god it wasn't like a game 7 series winning goal. I'm overlooking it, he's been really good. He won't make that mistake again.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Look at these jabronis who want to take out Staal, who has been excellent all playoffs, and has centered arguably our most consistent line because he is "too slow" and made a crappy turnover.

Our fourth line is the only line that consistently spends time in the offensive zone for long stretches of time. Do you not realize how valuable that is in the playoffs? It wears out their defenseman and creates momentum and goals. This is a fourth line we are talking about.

And you want to break it up? Asinine.

Reactions: Demon Wolf

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Look at these jabronis who want to take out Staal, who has been excellent all playoffs, and has centered arguably our most consistent line because he is "too slow" and made a crappy turnover.

I have wanted him out long before his crappy pass. That 4th line is good in spite of Staal, not because of. The guy has no idea where he is half the time. It's not just skating slow. Perry is skating slow. Staal reacts slowly. Armia and Perry are the magic on that line.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I have wanted him out long before his crappy pass. That 4th line is good in spite of Staal, not because of. The guy has no idea where he is half the time.

Bullcrap. Lines aren't great "in spite" of their centerman. That's ridiculous. He makes a number of contributions that aren't noticed by fans. Including, but not exclusive, to good neutral zone passes and plays well down low on the cycle.

Reactions: Archijerej

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I have wanted him out long before his crappy pass. That 4th line is good in spite of Staal, not because of. The guy has no idea where he is half the time. It's not just skating slow. Perry is skating slow. Staal reacts slowly. Armia and Perry are the magic on that line.
I dont know what games you are watching because he is great on the cycle and can find passes really well

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The 3 on that line are all big bodies. They cycle the puck very well. None are easy to knock off the puck.

they’re one of the top 2 lines, offensively, most nights.

I don’t expect them to break it up even though that was a terrible blunder last night.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Staal it's size and experience vs Evans who brings speed and energy. The 4th line is one of the main reasons why we have lasted this long in the playoffs after Price of course. I don't see them making the move unless Staal has to sit out again (I think it was his back last time). Being up 2-1 there's no way they make the change but if they were down perhaps depending on Evans health. It's a very tough call as Vegas is a big team and Evans already has a few concussions, right now the 4th line is just crushing it because that line is so big and experienced. Getting Evans in there would surely give us more speed but you would hate to see him get smoked again (though this time through a legal hit).

I know some clearly don't like to see it even suggested to take Staal out, but if we were down in this series, a few might think differently as we did get lucky to win last night. Staal has 1 pt in the last 6 games, I know that line is playing great and as I said if we were down it would still be a very tough decision to make since Staal has so much experience and that line has clearly been a huge part of the teams success in the playoffs. But to me you always need to be looking at what you can do to improve things no matter how tough the call is.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
With Staal it's size and experience vs Evans who brings speed and energy. The 4th line is one of the main reasons why we have lasted this long in the playoffs after Price of course. I don't see them making the move unless Staal has to sit out again (I think it was his back last time). Being up 2-1 there's no way they make the change but if they were down perhaps depending on Evans health. It's a very tough call as Vegas is a big team and Evans already has a few concussions, right now the 4th line is just crushing it because that line is so big and experienced. Getting Evans in there would surely give us more speed but you would hate to see him get smoked again (though this time through a legal hit).

I know some clearly don't like to see it even suggested to take Staal out, but if we were down in this series, a few might think differently as we did get lucky to win last night. Staal has 1 pt in the last 6 games, I know that line is playing great and as I said if we were down it would still be a very tough decision to make since Staal has so much experience and that line has clearly been a huge part of the teams success in the playoffs. But to me you always need to be looking at what you can do to improve things no matter how tough the call is.

I would replace him with KK who can play on the boards with this group and Put Evans with Byron and Anderson to make that line insanely fast.

Staal isn't even an NHL level player at this point and he is only surviving by being entirely carried by his linemates and is only completing the most basic duties.

I don't see any scenario where Staal is ever a remotely competent NHLer again and he should retire immediately following these playoffs......hopefully with a Championship ring.

This was my opinion before the brain dead pass, but is now emboldened as the only thing that might have been a redeeming quality was making smart, safe decisions. Not only is he our worst forward by a large margin he has now made the worst play of any Hab this season and in game 3 of the playoffs. The pass was simply the excuse that they should use to bench him.

Not attacking your opinion in any way as I know what you are saying, I just believe MB is giving this bum unearned leash to back up the price that he payed to get him. I am usually more of a Bergevin supporter but this particular move has not gone well.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A healthy Evans would be a huge upgrade on Staal but I don't see them sitting the vet. I would put Evans with Byron and Anderson and put KK with Perry and Armia.

Armia and Perry are completely carrying Staal who looks incredibly slow and entirely without an iota of skill. If Poehling was healthy I think he would be perfect between Armia and Perry.

I would like this to be the end of the Staal/Gustafsson era tonight but not holding my breath on that one.

I agree with the first paragraph. The second...not so much. Staal is the weakest link there but he's still been using his size and making solid passes.

But yeah KK between Perry and Armia and Evans between Neo and Lordy would probably be perfect.

Reactions: montreal

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I have never thought Staal looked good. I think he is benefiting from being on that line and the media praising his play. But I think that line could only be better if they had someone younger on it. I'd even try Tatar at this point. He can just sneak into scoring position while Armia and Perry work the boards.
If the purpose is to destroy their ability to cycle the puck, sure, we should absolutely dismantle this line.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I would replace him with KK who can play on the boards with this group and Put Evans with Byron and Anderson to make that line insanely fast.

If they opted to take out Staal, which I don't think they should just yet, then this would be the most logical line arrangement.

On the other hand you're disrupting two lines with one stroke that way. Our most productive line and Kotkaniemi's line, which produced goals in the last two games.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Staal contributes on that line. Not only production-wise, but on the cycle, when the 4th line hems the other team in the zone, Staal is in there cycling with them. It's not Armia and Perry doing it and Staal is in the vicinity.

He goes in the corners, throws hits, is in there winning board battles, using his size and reach to his advantage.

He made a terrible play on the Roy goal. But Staal is a key part of the 4th line. He's not just a passenger.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
We’re winning. He hasn’t been crazy good the last few, but I think his presence on he bench and in the room is key. Guys look up to him. He makes the team better by just being there.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad