Rumor: Eric Gelinas headed back to the NHL?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Would you guys consider signing him to pair him next to Seider (again) next year? He can be that “Vet” that we want next to him.

Remember he’s only 30.

f*** it. I take a flyer on him as the 5th D if I'm Yzerman. He and Seider looked like a great fit together. They could have been a successful pair in the NHL last season.

Apparently in NJ he was a bit of a liability but in Rogle he looked to calculate his risk taking pretty well. Limited 5 on 5 minutes, PP2 ability with a very good left shot. Decent physicality.

Sign this mans.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not interested in him as a top4 D and Seider's partner. If he wants to come to camp, get a look, maybe spend some time in GR then I'd be fine.

Reactions: newfy

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think it would be similar to Brome where he'd come in, show the occasional flash of NHL competence, but mostly waffle around the lineup. Very, very rarely does a player fall out of NHL standing, journey around Europe, and come back to make a non-negligible impact in the NHL.

The SHL is a fun watch and it's a good place for many of our prospects to grow. But I think folks forget that it's a clearly inferior league. I wouldn't cry if we brought in Gelinas, but I'd be pretty surprised if you got even a bottom pairing impact frankly.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'd give him a 2 year deal. We're losing a d-man in the expansion draft and he would be a good bridge for Seider.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think it would be similar to Brome where he'd come in, show the occasional flash of NHL competence, but mostly waffle around the lineup. Very, very rarely does a player fall out of NHL standing, journey around Europe, and come back to make a non-negligible impact in the NHL.

The SHL is a fun watch and it's a good place for many of our prospects to grow. But I think folks forget that it's a clearly inferior league. I wouldn't cry if we brought in Gelinas, but I'd be pretty surprised if you got even a bottom pairing impact frankly.

Look at it like this, my dude:

If Gelinas comes here and stinks up the joint it helps us get Shane Wright.

If Gelinas comes here and proves he belongs then we got a LD at a bargain price.

Either of these outcomes is desirable for us.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

If Gelinas comes here and proves he belongs then we got a LD at a bargain price.

That's a good way to look at it. How much worse can he be than Nemeth this season? Plus it gives Seider a teammate he already knows, and at this point Seider is the most important player this team has.

It's funny because I mentioned the possibility in the middle of the season and people laughed at me. He actually had decent stats until he got benched in NJ then traded. Apparently too many defensive gaffes according to articles I can find, which means he'll fit right in, lol.

Could sign him to a 2 way contract with high AHL salary to replace Lashoff as the worst case scenario. Too bad he's not a better fighter, but from everything I saw, he's at least an AHL level player.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It's time for Seider to learn from someone better

Let's re-sign old man Chelios.

It'll be like in Kill Bill where the Bride seeks out the savvy old martial artist in Pai Mei to learn.

Or maybe it would be more like Empire Strikes Back where Luke seeks out Yoda to become a jedi master.

I'm getting a weird mental image of Seider running around Detroit while giving Chelios a piggyback ride while training now.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

I mean, I guess. I think our best case scenario here is we add a 30yo 3rd pairing defenseman. I guess it's low risk but it's also super low reward. I agree with W98 that to me he'd be a fit in GR, but I feel like Lashoff already serves that role.

Who are the Wings signing at LD to play with Seider then?

I mean, you could throw a dart at the UFA list and find a player as good or better than Eric Gelinas.

Reactions: Oddbob and ShelbyZ

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I mean, I guess. I think our best case scenario here is we add a 30yo 3rd pairing defenseman. I guess it's low risk but it's also super low reward. I agree with W98 that to me he'd be a fit in GR, but I feel like Lashoff already serves that role.

I mean, you could throw a dart at the UFA list and find a player as good or better than Eric Gelinas.

I think it's NHL or back to the SHL. He'd be getting paid similar money to play more games and deal with harder travel in the AHL.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I like the idea. We hope Seider can be our pillar on defence but playing him as the #1 dmsn straight away probably isn’t wise. Let him transition to the nhl with his partner Gelinas. Second pairing. Third pairing whatever.

If Gelinas is putting up numbers sell him at the trade deadline. Take off the constraints next year for Seider.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Lashoff was traded and he's UFA. Though you're right that better players could be had in UFA but for $1M (which is probably what Gelinas would get) you're looking at Ben Hutton/Jon Merrill level players, so not much difference either way. Worst case, he'll take Biega's place as 8/9D or Lashoff's place in GR.

Seider's a mature kid, but I still think it helps to have a familiar face even if it's only for training camp.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Him and Seider really hit it off and for that reason alone I would love to bring Gelly in. Not necessarily to pair with Seider though but that’s an option for the 2nd PP for example like in Rögle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny if he will sign with us, because I called this first, months ago. :D

Still think it's Seider mentoring any veteran he plays with. He is the smartest player in our organization.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Lashoff was traded and he's UFA. Though you're right that better players could be had in UFA but for $1M (which is probably what Gelinas would get) you're looking at Ben Hutton/Jon Merrill level players, so not much difference either way. Worst case, he'll take Biega's place as 8/9D or Lashoff's place in GR.

Seider's a mature kid, but I still think it helps to have a familiar face even if it's only for training camp.

It's true that Lashoff was traded and is a UFA. But the fact the Tampa reassigned him to GR indicates to me that our brass is interested in keeping him around. I guess we'll have to see though.

Maybe I'm being pedantic here, but I'd push back on the idea that Eric Gelinas is as good as Merrill. I think there's a reason why one is one an NHL contract playing playoff hockey and the other is playing in Europe.

Biega or Lashoff I think are better comparables. I get that he's a mature face for Seider, but Seider played in GR too so he knows a lot of our roster. I wouldn't throw a fit over this move but I don't really see much of a purpose to it.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad