Prospect Info: Eric Cornel (2014, 44th) – '18-19: Rochester #20 (AHL)

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I have a good friend playing in the Swiss league. He loves it and makes bank. Can’t fault players for opting to play in Europe.

Yeah our family friend makes about $60,000 EUR playing in Slovenia...The cost of living is quite low so he lives well over there. I know Zurich can be an incredibly expensive City to live in. The salaries are high, but the taxes, rent, food...etc are crazy. I interviewed for a job over there and thought the salary was awesome....then I checked the cost of living...not so much :laugh:.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah our family friend makes about $60,000 EUR playing in Slovenia...The cost of living is quite low so he lives well over there. I know Zurich can be an incredibly expensive City to live in. The salaries are high, but the taxes, rent, food...etc are crazy. I interviewed for a job over there and thought the salary was awesome....then I checked the cost of living...not so much :laugh:.

I've heard teams provide housing in the NLA so it isn't exactly the same as you or I getting a job there.

Reactions: sabresandcanucks

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Cornel still isn't signed. His fan is getting nervous. :laugh:
He played last season on a 1 year AHL contract. He scored 12G, 10A in 61 games. He has good size and works hard. I'd bring him back. He's the kind of veteran that Adams wants in the minors. He's a not a star that's going to command ice time. He's going to show the kids how to be pros.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Cornel still isn't signed. His fan is getting nervous. :laugh:
He played last season on a 1 year AHL contract. He scored 12G, 10A in 61 games. He has good size and works hard. I'd bring him back. He's the kind of veteran that Adams wants in the minors. He's a not a star that's going to command ice time. He's going to show the kids how to be pros.
Why are you bumping my thread? Great analysis though, he should clearly be demanding more ice time.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
He was serviceable in Rochester for the past two years. But I think that it was time for him to move on. His NHL dream is clearly over and I don't blame him at all for joining a team that's not developmental but competitive. It's in one of the better European Leagues. He'll get to play games that are competitive, mean something and perhaps will earn playing time in meaningful situations. He's young, and a decent, hard working player. Why not spend a few years in Europe with decent pay, short trips, easier schedule and all the experiences you can gain by living overseas. I'd rather do that at age 24 than be one of the veteran leaders on an AHL team showing young guys the ropes and watching them get the minutes in the tough situations so they can learn. Maybe in a few years, but he's only 24 and probably wants to play.

Best of luck to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husko

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He was serviceable in Rochester for the past two years. But I think that it was time for him to move on. His NHL dream is clearly over and I don't blame him at all for joining a team that's not developmental but competitive. It's in one of the better European Leagues. He'll get to play games that are competitive, mean something and perhaps will earn playing time in meaningful situations. He's young, and a decent, hard working player. Why not spend a few years in Europe with decent pay, short trips, easier schedule and all the experiences you can gain by living overseas. I'd rather do that at age 24 than be one of the veteran leaders on an AHL team showing young guys the ropes and watching them get the minutes in the tough situations so they can learn. Maybe in a few years, but he's only 24 and probably wants to play.

Best of luck to him.
He has an opportunity to make more money in the DEL too.
GERMANYDEL140,000 – 200,000 Euro Tax Free
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I gather he wasn't getting offers as an UFA, wanted to continue playing pro hockey, and wanted some financial security. Last season he signed a PTO to earn an AHL contract.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
In another recent thread, someone was making a similar point about the success of Buffalo drafting beyond round 1

"Devine has only been in or in charge of scouting for 5 of the last 10 years.

Also , players drafted by the Sabres after the 1st round that have played more than 40 NHL games:

2015 : Brendan Guhle
2014 : Brendan Lemieux, Victor Olofsson
2013 : Nikita Zadorov, J.T. Compher, Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste
2012 : Zemgus Girgensons, Jack McCabe, Linus Ullmark"
I'm not a fan of Buffalo's success beyond round 1 either. But at the same time, I wanted to see how some of our rivals performed using the same criteria. So, I looked at our divisional rivals plus a couple of other teams before I ran out of interest. The original poster was mistaken about Zadorov and Girgs - so that left the Sabres total of his analysis at 8 Sabres having played more than 40 games. Here are my findings:

Sabres total = 8

Divisional rivals and other teams records over the same period

Boston = 7
2015: Carlo
2014: Donato, Heinen, Bjork
2013: none
2012: Grzelczyk, Griffin, Benning

Montreal = 4
2015: none
2014: none
2013: De La Rose, Lehkonen, Andrighetto
2012: Hudon

Ottawa Senators = 5
2015:White (Thank you Sabres!), Chlapik, Wolanin, Jaros
2014:none
2013: Harpur
2012:none

Toronto = 6
2015: Dermott, Timashov
2014: Engvali
2013 Verhaeghe, Johnsson
2012: Leivo

Tampa Bay Lightning =8
2015: Cirelli, Joseph
2014: Point
2013: Erne
2012: Vasilevsky, Paquette, Dotchin, Gusov

Colorado Avalanche = 4
2014: Lindholm
2013:Bigras, Butcher
2012: Blandisi

Pittsburgh Penguins = 8
2015: Sprong, Simon
2014: Lafferty
2013: Guentzel
2012: Maata, Blueger, Sundqvist, Murray

Chicago Blackhawks = 5
2014: Sikura
2013 Dahlstrom, Hayden, Motte
2012: Hinostroza

Ran out of gas and interest

Last edited:
Reactions: joshjull

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
In another recent thread, someone was making a similar point about the success of Buffalo drafting beyond round 1

"Devine has only been in or in charge of scouting for 5 of the last 10 years.

Also , players drafted by the Sabres after the 1st round that have played more than 40 NHL games:

2015 : Brendan Guhle
2014 : Brendan Lemieux, Victor Olofsson
2013 : Nikita Zadorov, J.T. Compher, Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste
2012 : Zemgus Girgensons, Jack McCabe, Linus Ullmark"
I'm not a fan of Buffalo's success beyond round 1 either. But at the same time, I wanted to see how some of our rivals worked. I looked at the same criteria for our divisional rivals plus a couple of other teams before I ran out of interest. The original poster was mistaken about Zadorov and Girgs - so that left the Sabres total of his analysis at 8 Sabres. Here are my findings:

Sabres total = 8

Divisional rivals and other teams records over the same period

Boston = 7
2015: Carlo
2014: Donato, Heinen, Bjork
2013: none
2012: Grzelczyk, Griffin, Benning

Montreal = 4
2014: none
2013: De La Rose, Lehkonen, Andrighetto
2012: Hudon

Ottawa Senators = 5
2015:White (Thank you Sabres!), Chlapik, Wolanin, Jaros
2014:none
2013: Harpur
2012:none

Toronto = 6
2015: Dermott, Timashov
2014: Engvali
2013 Verhaeghe, Johnsson
2012: Leivo

Tampa Bay Lightning =8
2015: Cirelli, Joseph
2014: Point
2013: Erne
2012: Vasilevsky, Paquette, Dotchin, Gusov

Colorado Avalanche = 4
2014: Lindholm
2013:Bigras, Butcher
2012: Blandisi

Pittsburgh Penguins = 8
2015: Sprong, Simon
2014: Lafferty
2013: Guentzel
2012: Maata, Blueger, Sundqvist, Murray

Chicago Blackhawks = 5
2014: Sikura
2013 Dahlstrom, Hayden, Motte
2012: Hinostroza

Ran out of gas and interest
From the draft to the NHL: A round-by-round look at the league's skaters and goalies
This is from 2018 but the trend probably continues. Interesting stat:
After the first round (40.5 percent) and second round (16.6 percent), undrafted players account for the third-biggest segment of the NHL’s population at 12.7 percent (82 out of 644).

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He is a slow developer that has improved every year in the AHL to being one of Taylor's trusted guys. He had the ability to be a bottom six player in the NHL, it would have taken patience.
I just don’t see any standout skill that would have allowed him to stick in a role at the NHL level.
He likely could have played a handful of games as an injury call up, but that’s much different than being a legitimate bottom six forward in the league.

I just feel bad for kids like him. He decided to pass up on going to Harvard for an OHL gold education package, which he then forfeited when he signed his NHL ELC. Players like him definitely benefit from the school route and if he had done things differently, he’d possibly still be on his first NHL deal with an Ivy League degree in hand, not two years removed from his ELC with a distance-learning high school diploma.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I just don’t see any standout skill that would have allowed him to stick in a role at the NHL level.
He likely could have played a handful of games as an injury call up, but that’s much different than being a legitimate bottom six forward in the league.

I just feel bad for kids like him. He decided to pass up on going to Harvard for an OHL gold education package, which he then forfeited when he signed his NHL ELC. Players like him definitely benefit from the school route and if he had done things differently, he’d possibly still be on his first NHL deal with an Ivy League degree in hand, not two years removed from his ELC with a distance-learning high school diploma.
He just got better every year and he could have carved out a niche role as a bottom six forward with speed and chipping in a few here or there. His adaption to competition just takes longer.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

100% true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad