Waived: Eric Comrie

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Hope Comrie finds a home there. It cost nothing to get Comrie on the wings no trade no draft pick no development no crowding out other prospects nothing. Comrie showed no instant signs of working his way into the future plans. I don't understand why Yzerman would deserve Holland criticism. Holland is trading away a second round pick and Jarcrock for 16 games of Legwand. Jarnkrok has outscored the entire roster with the exception of Bertuzzi this year. If you want to compare losing Comrie to a Holland move we can keep going. Trading a first round pick to bring back a player he waived. Want to keep going?.....

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Hope Comrie finds a home there. It cost nothing to get Comrie on the wings no trade no draft pick no development no crowding out other prospects nothing. Comrie showed no instant signs of working his way into the future plans. I don't understand why Yzerman would deserve Holland criticism. Holland is trading away a second round pick and Jarcrock for 16 games of Legwand. Jarnkrok has outscored the entire roster with the exception of Bertuzzi this year. If you want to compare losing Comrie to a Holland move we can keep going. Trading a first round pick to bring back a player he waived. Want to keep going?.....

saarijarvi says hello

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I figured he'd get claimed. I guess Stevie wasn't interested in a B or C level prospect, otherwise I'm sure he would have traded him.

No big deal either way, but I'd prefer to have Howie stay in GR. At least Comrie tries to cover the puck with the palm side of his hands and knows to cover the post when the puck is off to the side of the goal. (Horrendous rebounds though.)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Someone posted this on the Trade Boards Re: Comrie & Noesen, both claimed.
"For those interested, this cost Winnipeg $67,500, paid to Detroit and not counted against the cap, and cost San Jose $15,000, paid to Pittsburgh and not counted against the cap."

Yzerman strikes again!

It'd be even funnier if WPG puts him back on waivers to send him down after the Christmas break & the Wings claim him again.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Yzerman was keen on sending Comrie to GR, it could be him... Sounds like the Jets will need to waive him again to assign him and if the Wings are the only team that puts in a claim, he's basically "cleared" and can go straight to GR.
Why would the Jets claim him to waive him?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
WTF does this have to do with Comrie? Holland is no longer our GM.

If you'd like to discuss Holland, there's a place to do it that doesn't drag threads off topic.

Ken Holland Appreciation Thread

I 100% agree with you.

People need to stop bringing up how Holland would have been treated differently in a thread about Comrie (true or untrue). AND people need to stop taking shots at Holland in threads like the Fabbri thread of how he ruined the team (true or untrue). Its annoying on both sides and it ruins conversation when everything goes down this road.

We should just create a thread called "The official whining about Ken Holland/The whining about the whining about Ken Holland thread" lol.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Someone posted this on the Trade Boards Re: Comrie & Noesen, both claimed.
"For those interested, this cost Winnipeg $67,500, paid to Detroit and not counted against the cap, and cost San Jose $15,000, paid to Pittsburgh and not counted against the cap."

Yzerman strikes again!

It'd be even funnier if WPG puts him back on waivers to send him down after the Christmas break & the Wings claim him again.
Does anyone have any insight into what/how/why?

Does this actually add a bit of cap space for us? Or is it just cash going into the Illitch's pockets? I've never heard of money exchanging hands for waivers

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What a weird trade in hindsight. Trading Vili Saarijarvi for a 2 games rental goalie

My only guess is they thought Comrie might have some untapped upside, and realized after his short stint that he's hopeless.

Bad asset management by Yzerman. But it just goes to show how terrible our goalie situation really is. Another reason to draft Yaroslav Askarov this upcoming draft.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The trade was basically a player they knew had no NHL future for a player who might have an NHL future in a position of need.

Yzerman is just throwing darts and hoping one sticks. If he can trade our useless prospects and players for a gamble, I say we should take it. This team won't be contending for at least three more seasons anyway...

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I love what Yzerman is doing but this was rather pointless in hindsight. We lost a player for two games of rental goaltending.

Saarijarvi is not an above average prospect but still.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wow Blashill's response was pretty aggressive for a minor waiver claim. He must have been really sour to get that question.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It wasn't a discussion on Holland, it was a discussion on the fan base. Why is ok for one guy to give up a nothing asset for nothing, but the other guy gets dragged over the coals and people scream "bad asset management!!!!"?

Because one guy gave up an asset that is playing on a fourth line in Nashville and doing well on a really good contract.
The other traded a guy who's just barely cracked the AHL after being on an ECHL roster for most of his career.

Calle Jarnkrok was a prospect with NHL upside. Vili Saarijarvi was not.

Also, in both cases, there would be far too much whinging about guys who do not materially affect the long term health of the Detroit Red Wings. People dragged him over the coals because they were fed up with how the team was declining. Now, we know that we suck and we might be churning out bad players as we rebuild our roster. It is the same kind of over-whinging about "HIGHEST SALARY, WORST PERFORMANCE!" without realizing that the Wings could literally have kept 10M open the last couple years, like not signed Frans Nielsen... and their cap situation wouldn't have changed. Either we ate the salary on our LTIR guys and operated with a 10M lower cap or we signed guys to be closer to the cap.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
At least Yzerman is trying some things even though it didn't work out. If either Saarijarvi or Comrie crack a roster and out perform anyone in our core then we can revisit. Seems like likelihood of that is quite low and we won't know for a year or two anyway. At the end of the day it cost Saarijarvi to get our own look if Comrie had a future. If he did indeed I don't think he would have been waved. I trust in Yzerman to make that call and that it was worth the gamble for a position that has zero solution right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad