Equiptment modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone has "tweaked" their equiptment to possibly enhance their (or their equiptment's) performance.

Personally, I bought a Bauer composite shaft last year. It's one of the ones with one convex side and one concave side for increased durability/stiffness and grip.
I'm a left handed shot but decided to get the right handed shaft. With the convex side reversed, the stick now has a really nice whip to it, just as I had hoped. The grip actually feels more comfortable this way for me too...

It was on sale, so I took a gamble and it worked. Has anyone else had an interesting idea and tried it out?

I remember back in about 87 or 88 I followed Ron Hextall's example an replaced all the nylon strings in my glove for regular skate laces. To save my life I cannot remember what it was supposed to do, all it did do was lead to me re-stringing 3 times because of broken laces and eventually switching back to the nylon (which I thankfully kept).

That's about it. Any other modification I have made to my gear has strictly been for comfort or mobility, not to block more of the net.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Mal... did you use wax laces or regular ones?

That might have made a difference!

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
I remember back in about 87 or 88 I followed Ron Hextall's example an replaced all the nylon strings in my glove for regular skate laces. To save my life I cannot remember what it was supposed to do, all it did do was lead to me re-stringing 3 times because of broken laces and eventually switching back to the nylon (which I thankfully kept).

That's about it. Any other modification I have made to my gear has strictly been for comfort or mobility, not to block more of the net.

Maybe Hextall was just messing with people. I'd be kinda tempted to do that if I was in a position where people would listen to me.
"I hold my hockey pants up using industrial grade rope...the kind they use on docked boats. Trust me kids, it's great!"

Comfort modifications are good too. I'm just kinda curious to see how creative people have gotten and if it backfired or not.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
When I was a kid, we used to screw around and make banana sticks (a la Stan Mikita) with horribly illegal curves. They were about as accurate as a blind dart player but goalies hated them because we'd launch shots that were fast and totally unpredictable.

They were non-waxed laces as I recall, still can't remember what they were supposed to help and now it's going to bug me. Argh!

My other mods are pretty basic. I've jury rigged the toestraps on my pads so they don't twist quite so much. I have a small tie for my suspender in the middle of my chest so they don't slip off my shoulders. Both of those work pretty well. As does the ubiquitous skate lace as a belt on my pants. I'm pretty sure I broke that lame plastic "buckle" about a month after I bought the pants.

I tape all the straps on chest protector to where I like them so they don't slip and get loose. I've sewn a terry cloth sweatpad into my glove for the inside of my wrist and most importantly, I completely and utterly gave up on the whole socks and garter belt issue about 5 years ago. I just wear a pair of sweats instead.

Nothing overly MacGyver-ish but useful all the same.

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
Nothing overly MacGyver-ish but useful all the same.

I'm hoping someone comes up with something totally McGyver-ish. Like making his own magical Cooperalls from a dead osprey, rubber boots and an old fishtank...Ideally, the cooperalls would also be able to turn into a jet.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
gonna sound strange..but for a goalie...bobbie pins...if you got long hair..

I used to. Once the sweat got going...invariably hair would somehow fall into face ..

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
Gee Wally said:
gonna sound strange..but for a goalie...bobbie pins...if you got long hair..

I used to. Once the sweat got going...invariably hair would somehow fall into face ..
Haircut worked for me :yo:.

:joker:

BCCHL inactive

As an official, it is under my best conscience to advise everybody to be aware of the rulebook(s) you play under for equipment moderation. :)

Since I know the Hockey Canada rulebook best, here is my advice for those in Canada...

Do not tape your throat protector to make it smaller. I know they can be big and uncomfortable, but if a referee discovers it taped, it is an automatic 10-minute misconduct.

Do not cut the inside leg of your pants. Some pants are made with zippers. If you have such a pair of pants, you must keep the zipper closed. If not, and you cut them, you'll need to tape them up.

You may cut your sleeves, but only as long as your elbow pads remain completely covered. I have noticed that a lot of goaltenders like to tuck their sleeves into their arm pads, exposing the pads themselves. Sorry, can't do that.

Some players don't like the ear-guards in helmets. Well, too bad. They are required.

Tucked in jerseys follow the same concept as sleeves. The top of your pants must be covered. No Wayne Gretzky's allowed.

I'm not sure if this really falls under equipment moderation as it does plain common sense, but keep your chin strap done up properly. You are allowed only one index finger's space between your chin and the strap. If you think you are Eric Lindros or Todd Bertuzzi, you're either going to tighten your chin strap, or take penalties until you do.

If you guys have any equipment legality questions, feel free to ask.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Van said:
As an official, it is under my best conscience to advise everybody to be aware of the rulebook(s) you play under for equipment moderation. http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/smiles.gif

Since I know the Hockey Canada rulebook best, here is my advice for those in Canada...
Van said:
Do not tape your throat protector to make it smaller. I know they can be big and uncomfortable, but if a referee discovers it taped, it is an automatic 10-minute misconduct.
True enough....BUT, you can cut the inside, take out some of the linning, and sew it back together thus making it smaller and not getting caught

Van said:
Do not cut the inside leg of your pants. Some pants are made with zippers. If you have such a pair of pants, you must keep the zipper closed. If not, and you cut them, you'll need to tape them up.
I've cut them...and then had my mom sew in zippers and presto-chango! Life was good

Van said:
You may cut your sleeves, but only as long as your elbow pads remain completely covered. I have noticed that a lot of goaltenders like to tuck their sleeves into their arm pads, exposing the pads themselves. Sorry, can't do that.
You don't call that when you do our Rec league games Van...

Van said:
Some players don't like the ear-guards in helmets. Well, too bad. They are required.
I've never understood players that took them out...what's the big deal???

Van said:
Tucked in jerseys follow the same concept as sleeves. The top of your pants must be covered. No Wayne Gretzky's allowed.
This I knew...this I think it is somewhat stupid...NOT that I tuck in my jersey..but still...don't understand it

Van said:
I'm not sure if this really falls under equipment moderation as it does plain common sense, but keep your chin strap done up properly. You are allowed only one index finger's space between your chin and the strap. If you think you are Eric Lindros or Todd Bertuzzi, you're either going to tighten your chin strap, or take penalties until you do.
Agreed here...mine is lose, but if I get hit, my helmet doesn't come flying off...and it's right on the boarderline obscene

and gold :D

BCCHL inactive

Canadian Chris said:
True enough....BUT, you can cut the inside, take out some of the linning, and sew it back together thus making it smaller and not getting caught

Yup. As long as the inside of your leg is covered. The worry here is that there are arteries in your leg that could cause you to bleed to death if severed.

Canadian Chris said:
I've cut them...and then had my mom sew in zippers and presto-chango! Life was good

Yup. But if I catch it during a game, the player is using tape, or he's not playing.

Canadian Chris said:
You don't call that when you do our Rec league games Van...

While we call the HC rulebook, rec hockey is not sanctioned. I call players on having their sleeves too short as much as I do for their chin straps, ear guards, etc. ;)

Seriously, I could probably find an equipment issue with 8/10 players in all rec divisions.

Agreed on the rest.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
this may be a stupid question but whats up with the ripped inner pant legs anyway? How did this start and why is it done?

BCCHL inactive

Keetz said:
this may be a stupid question but whats up with the ripped inner pant legs anyway? How did this start and why is it done?

It gives players more freedom with leg movement, which helps your skating stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad