GWT: EPL - Matchweek 7 (ft. MW 2)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This matchweek is headlined by a top 4 clash between Tottenham and Liverpool, with Spurs having the pleasure of hosting, coming off an encouraging draw against their North London rivals. Meanwhile, on Monday, we get a West London derby, with Chelsea trying to get back into the top half of the table. We also have a potential relegation six pointer at Goodison Park, when newly-promoted Luton Town visit the Toffees.

HomeAwayTime and Date (CT)Venue
Aston VillaBrighton & Hove AlbionSat., Sep. 30, 6:30 AMVilla Park
Manchester UnitedCrystal PalaceSat., Sep. 30, 9:00 AMOld Trafford
Newcastle UnitedBurnleySat., Sep. 30, 9:00 AMSt. James's Park
Wolverhampton WanderersManchester CitySat., Sep. 30, 9:00 AMMolineux Stadium
BournemouthArsenalSat., Sep. 30, 9:00 AMVitality Stadium
West Ham UnitedSheffield UnitedSat., Sep. 30, 9:00 AMLondon Stadium
EvertonLuton TownSat., Sep. 30, 9:00 AMGoodison Park
Tottenham HotspurLiverpoolSat., Sep. 30, 11:30 AMTottenham Hotspur Stadium
Nottingham ForestBrentfordSun., Oct. 1, 8:00 AMCity Ground
FulhamChelseaMon., Oct. 2, 2:00 PMCraven Cottage
Luton TownBurnleyTue., Oct. 3, 1:30 PMKenilworth Road

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
im going to be away this weekend and might have to miss the game. will have to see whether i can find a pub showing it but we might be in the middle of a forest and none of the 17 people im going with have any interest in football

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Would be nice to see City drop some points, though I won't get my hopes up.
City is likely to drop points against wolverhampton, who just lost to Ipswich and also just drawn with Luton this past weekend, hah! Wolverhampton is just awful this year. And Luton just lost to Exeter City.... haha... wolverhampton draw'd, hahaha... pathetic...
What a dreadful bottom few clubs we have this year.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
City is likely to drop points against wolverhampton, who just lost to Ipswich and also just drawn with Luton this past weekend, hah! Wolverhampton is just awful this year. And Luton just lost to Exeter City.... haha... wolverhampton draw'd, hahaha... pathetic...

This dropped this morning, interestingly enough

Reactions: LOGiK

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's my birthday on Saturday. Would it be too much to ask for Spurs to beat Liverpool?

Curious whether Liverpool fans consider Spurs a top side as per previous debate regarding the level of competition they've faced so far

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
What is a top side though? Are we talking title challengers, top 4 challengers, or going for the remaining euro spaces?

It's still so early in the Ange "era" so while I am very happy and excited about the direction we are going in, I don't think we're near the top echelon of Man City and Liverpool just yet, despite the very promising start. I'd have us in that 4th-6th range with an outside shot of getting top-3 if everything clicks. I do think we'll give Liverpool a great game and I expect the game to be highly competitive.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What is a top side though? Are we talking title challengers, top 4 challengers, or going for the remaining euro spaces?

It's still so early in the Ange "era" so while I am very happy and excited about the direction we are going in, I don't think we're near the top echelon of Man City and Liverpool just yet, despite the very promising start. I'd have us in that 4th-6th range with an outside shot of getting top-3 if everything clicks. I do think we'll give Liverpool a great game and I expect the game to be highly competitive.
I think if Tottenham get a result you can consider them a favorite for top 4. That’s the bar. If they lose they are in the same mixer as like almost a half dozen other teams. I don’t think Tottenham NEED to finish top four to have a successful season necessarily but I think we learn if they can keep punching with those guys this weekend or if it’s just new manager boost/extended honeymoon period

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
I think the expectation for Spurs fans is that we have a competitive season, and Ange brings back the good vibes. So far that's been the case. I actually think he already has the full backing of the fan base, so really I agree that we don't need top 4. I think most fans before the season would have taken a top 6 finish, and we're on course to do that or better. I do think even if we lose this weekend it's more than just a new manager bounce. We could lose the next 4 matches (we wont) and the fans would still back him based on what he's putting in place. The toxicity from the Mourinho/Conte eras is pretty much gone thankfully.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Supposedly Maddison and Johnson are only doing light training right now. Maddison's knee bent very awkwardly and Johnson had an issue with his hamstring. Maddison being fit would be absolutely crucial. Johnson being out isn't the end of the world but I think he'd be really effective against Liverpool's high line.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well, confirmed going to be in the middle of a 20 km hike on Saturday... Bournemouth may not have won any games yet this season, but they have been potting goals, so my confidence isn't sky-high, especially with so much of our team recovering from knocks. I wouldn't be surprised to drop points again, but will pray for a comfortable victory. Maybe let them get their classic first goal, then dump on them, that seems to be the way to go at them and lord knows we've been tending to play much worse with the lead.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah it's bad. Burnley at least have moments where they look threatening but you can tell some of their players are out of their depth in the Prem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Honestly seeing how Maddison's knee bent, I'm shocked he continued and is even close to available. At first that looked like it could have been a season ending type injury.
It looked to me like he hyper-extended it a bit, which can be bad but can also (I know this from experience) look worse than it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad