GWT: EPL - Matchweek 38

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's almost like they need their own thread to talk about how unbearable we are...

Meanwhile this whole conversation that will get pinned on us being unbearable started with Liverpool fans celebrating another team's title and then immediately responding with "well look at my trophy from 5 years ago"
Man the last time Arsenal won the league none of their overseas fans could even watch the games live. Get outta here with that. You’ve actually never seen them win the league so I wouldn’t be too critical of fans who have

Reactions: luiginb and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fans of clubs that aren't buying other clubs.
Interesting criteria. So just from current or recent PL clubs that also at least excludes fans of Arsenal, Aston Villa, Leeds, and Manchester United which all have partial or majority stakes in other clubs through their owners. Maybe your purity rules should be pinned somewhere?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Man the last time Arsenal won the league none of their overseas fans could even watch the games live. Get outta here with that.
It's almost like I'm not the one that brought up historical trophies... but you guys can't go 5 posts without using that as a defense when it has nothing to do with the title race this year

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Man the last time Arsenal won the league none of their overseas fans could even watch the games live. Get outta here with that. You’ve actually never seen them win the league so I wouldn’t be too critical of fans who have
It's as if TV and the Internet only existed after 2010 or something.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh so this year it matters where you’re supposed to be.

Liverpool fans are talking a lot for a club that’s been irrelevant for weeks.
I think being ahead of schedule and adding three players in January makes a really big difference. Yes I think that changes the equation quite a bit. I would have loved to sign a Trossard equivalent instead of having to watch Darwin Nunez and Luis Diaz trip over each other every week. It matters.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's almost like I'm not the one that brought up historical trophies... but you guys can't go 5 posts without using that as a defense when it has nothing to do with the title race this year
It has everything to do with the things you people say. Let’s put it this way. The person trying to defend themselves and arguing ‘I’m not acting like a baby you are’ is the one that needs to grow much thicker skin. Arsenal fans said plenty, now everyone is laughing, and you can’t take it?

There’s nothing you could say that would stop people from laughing about this.

Reactions: Savant

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Interesting criteria. So just from current or recent PL clubs that also at least excludes fans of Arsenal, Aston Villa, Leeds, and Manchester United which all have partial or majority stakes in other clubs through their owners. Maybe your purity rules should be pinned somewhere?

If you're trying to equate Arsenal's owner owning Colorado Springs with Chelsea and Strasbourg, then this conversation is pretty much over because the blue-colored glasses will be way too thick for you to ever argue in good faith and I'm not going to waste my time.

If the ownership of other clubs that Villa (I don't know what club they own) or Leeds and United do (don't know either) gives them the same competitive advantage that Chelsea owning Strasbourg does (a club they had absolutely zero link to until last year and was taken over precisely for the purpose of developing and hoarding players in a top euro league) then yeah, I'd say let's sticky some rules before posters drown in their own hypocrisy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It kind of does though. Over the last two seasons we’ve been hearing how historically great this Arsenal team is, and they’ve won nothing. Historical trophies matter. When You go against Pep City, it’s not easy to win trophies. LFC were still able too. All we’ve had to hear about for two years is how a non-trophy winning team who were not putting up as good point totals were better. That argument is now over.

Reactions: luiginb

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It has everything to do with the things you people say. Let’s put it this way. The person trying to defend themselves and arguing ‘I’m not acting like a baby you are’ is the one that needs to grow much thicker skin. Arsenal fans said plenty, now everyone is laughing, and you can’t take it?
Yeah I guess I really am acting like a baby for laughing at Liverpool fans (and the other team's fans here too FWIW) because you're so insecure about your own team's misfortunes against City that none of you cared to post here at all during the games but then as soon as City won you all flooded in with "See that, Arsenal aren't on our level. Can't even beat City to a title."

And then as soon as we correctly say that you bottled the league this year, you all immediately use historical trophies as a crutch again.

Reactions: southsideIrish

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you're trying to equate Arsenal's owner owning Colorado Springs with Chelsea and Strasbourg, then this conversation is pretty much over because the blue-colored glasses will be way too thick for you to ever argue in good faith and I'm not going to waste my time.

If the ownership of other clubs that Villa (I don't know what club they own) or Leeds and United do (don't know either) gives them the same competitive advantage that Chelsea owning Strasbourg does (a club they had absolutely zero link to until last year and was taken over precisely for the purpose of developing and hoarding players in a top euro league) then yeah, I'd say let's sticky some rules before posters drown in their own hypocrisy.
Your lack of specificity in the criteria I asked you for is not my fault, it's yours. Changing or adding criteria because you don't like the result of what you posted is on you, not me.

Chelsea and City didn't start this trend or invent feeder clubs, they just (starting with City in the PL at least) took it to the extreme by outright buying clubs and taking total control of them for the sole benefit of the main club.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It kind of does though. Over the last two seasons we’ve been hearing how historically great this Arsenal team is, and they’ve won nothing. Historical trophies matter. When You go against Pep City, it’s not easy to win trophies. LFC were still able too. All we’ve had to hear about for two years is how a non-trophy winning team who were not putting up as good point totals were better. That argument is now over.
Is this the Michael Jordan documentary? Because you're literally fabricating stuff in your head about us saying "we're so much better than that 97 point Liverpool team" just so you can mention your one PL title lol.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah I guess I really am acting like a baby for laughing at Liverpool fans (and the other team's fans here too FWIW) because you're so insecure about your own team's misfortunes against City that none of you cared to post here at all during the games but then as soon as City won you all flooded in with "See that, Arsenal aren't on our level. Can't even beat City to a title."

And then as soon as we correctly say that you bottled the league this year, you all immediately use historical trophies as a crutch again.
Whenever an Arsenal poster responds to some stupid take it is the Arsenal poster that is unbearable and don't have thick skin.

Reactions: KJS14

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Your lack of specificity in the criteria I asked you for is not my fault, it's yours. Changing or adding criteria because you don't like the result of what you posted is on you, not me.

Chelsea and City didn't start this trend or invent feeder clubs, they just (starting with City in the PL at least) took it to the extreme by outright buying clubs and taking total control of them for the sole benefit of the main club.

'Mooooooom, he did it first!!!'

Here's a very easy chart.

Does the club I cheer for behave in unethical ways that tears at the fabric of football?

Yes ------------------------> Let me shut the f*** up real quick about City

Does the club I cheer for behave in unethical ways that tears at the fabric of football?

Now I know you're going to come back with some silly nitpicking and situations that aren't remotely comparable to what Chelsea is doing so you can have the last word but at least I hope you'll be able to admit what you're doing to yourself (and what you support)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Whenever an Arsenal poster responds to some stupid take it is the Arsenal poster that is unbearable and don't have thick skin.
Careful, apparently we're not allowed to be critical of fans that have seen their team win the title even when they're coming up with the most ridiculous takes

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Define what the "fabric of football" even is. Just sounds like some made up thing you get to use to take moral superiority in any conversation you want to derail what the original topic was.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Define what the "fabric of football" even is. Just sounds like some made up thing you get to use to take moral superiority in any conversation you want to derail what the original topic was.

Fabric of football involves not stealing clubs away from their fans and their community.

For someone who is so into the logic of things I'm shocked (not that shocked) that I have to break this down for you.

I'm taking the moral superiority on this topic because I'm not the one trying to what about my way out of the hypocrisy of a Chelsea fan throwing rocks at City.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is this the Michael Jordan documentary? Because you're literally fabricating stuff in your head about us saying "we're so much better than that 97 point Liverpool team" just so you can mention your one PL title lol.
Our friend from St Louis (and others) was certainly on that train especially last year

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Careful, apparently we're not allowed to be critical of fans that have seen their team win the title even when they're coming up with the most ridiculous takes
The Pejorative Slured part is that when Arsenal last won the EPL was on Sportsnet in Canada and a year before Liverpool won the CL in Turkey. He's speaking as if Arsenal last won during the black and white TV era with no internet.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I'm not posting much during games anymore because it makes it more difficult to actually watch the games. If City hadn't won I would have flooded in and said 'thank f*** they lost.' For some reason you think the consolation prize is better than the first prize. Making fun of Arsenal is only the consolation here.

No, this absolutely did happen. I don't care enough to find it but it happened. If you didn't do it then fine but other people did.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fabric of football involves not stealing clubs away from their fans and their community.

For someone who is so into the logic of things I'm shocked (not that shocked) that I have to break this down for you.
Strasbourg hasn't been owned by locals since the early 90s. Outside of Germany, most football clubs are no longer owned or controlled by fans or locals. Being owned by a club from another league that just wants to use you for their benefit is definitely worse than being owned by some foreign billionaire who just wants you for prestige, for sure.
I'm taking the moral superiority on this topic because I'm not the one trying to what about my way out of the hypocrisy of a Chelsea fan throwing rocks at City.
I believe every club should be punished for violating rules. Full stop. There is no hypocrisy here because I haven't once argued that Chelsea shouldn't face punishment for rule violations. You decided I can't take this stance because Chelsea has also violated rules in the past (and faced punishments for it) and is currently engaged in conduct that is within the rules tough problematic.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Strasbourg hasn't been owned by locals since the early 90s. Outside of Germany, most football clubs are no longer owned or controlled by fans or locals. Being owned by a club from another league that just wants to use you for their benefit is definitely worse than being owned by some foreign billionaire who just wants you for prestige, for sure.

I believe every club should be punished for violating rules. Full stop. There is no hypocrisy here because I haven't once argued that Chelsea shouldn't face punishment for rule violations. You decided I can't take this stance because Chelsea has also violated rules in the past (and faced punishments for it) and is currently engaged in conduct that is within the rules tough problematic.

I knew that was coming.

Foreign owners =/ becoming a servant to a foreign club.

Newsflash: it seems like even Strasbourg fans understand the distinction considering they uh...haven't been in a state of perpetual riot since the early 90s.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
poetic that this man whose win vs Arsenal basically cost them winning the league.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad