GWT: EPL - Matchweek 36 (ft. MW 26)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The only thing I don't understand about that is why the ref stared at it for 20 seconds if he thought it was a foul.

It was like it was fine to let it go until the ball went in and then he decided he'd better call it.

I truly wonder if he calls a foul if it's a corner.

Reactions: bluesfan94

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Despite being offside there, Havertz movement today had been sublime

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The only thing I don't understand about that is why the ref stared at it for 20 seconds if he thought it was a foul.

It was like it was fine to let it go until the ball went in and then he decided he'd better call it.

I truly wonder if he calls a foul if it's a corner.
Same reason offside calls are let go and then called back after the ball is in the net, because that's what they're instructed to do to allow VAR to work.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Christie finally gets a yellow card after 95mins of throwing his studs into ankles, knees, and shins

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Arsenal winning by 3 is big for them. Significantly reduces the chance that City are able to catch up on GD.

Obviously City still can win out and it doesn't matter, but a draw now would mean Arsenal should be heavy favorites.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Arsenal winning by 3 is big for them. Significantly reduces the chance that City are able to catch up on GD.

Obviously City still can win out and it doesn't matter, but a draw now would mean Arsenal should be heavy favorites.
I think it would have been tough for them to make it up regardless. In probably the most likely scenario where it matters, you would assume Arsenal wins out (+3 GD minimum) and City draw one game (one less game to make up the GD). So before today's 3-0 result, they would have had to make up at least 10 GD in 3 games. Certainly doable for them, but a tough task.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think it would have been tough for them to make it up regardless. In probably the most likely scenario where it matters, you would assume Arsenal wins out (+3 GD minimum) and City draw one game (one less game to make up the GD). So before today's 3-0 result, they would have had to make up at least 10 GD in 3 games. Certainly doable for them, but a tough task.
Yea it was never going to be easy, but those extra 2 makes it that much more unlikely. They've got Wolves, Fulham, and West Ham who are all playing for nothing and West Ham are one of the worst defensive sides in the league.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Yea it was never going to be easy, but those extra 2 makes it that much more unlikely. They've got Wolves, Fulham, and West Ham who are all playing for nothing and West Ham are one of the worst defensive sides in the league.
Yeah, it definitely helps us nonetheless. Now we pray for the galacticos to show up in Wolves shirts later today.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This is why they won’t do live audio
The biggest thing you pick up from the audio they release is that whatever the ref says on the field "he plays the ball", "just a coming together", etc The VAR will do absolutely everything they can to try to find evidence that was true. They'll use the same words the ref used too.

In the Forest incident the ref live said "he plays the ball" VAR looks at it and sees that the defender kicked the back of the attackers leg and never once touched the ball but they said it was an attempt as he's trying to play the ball and some minor contact so call stands.

They're not looking and saying "was this call right" but instead looking and saying "is there any way I can possibly come up with, even if it makes no sense, that I can claim the ref was right"

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The biggest thing you pick up from the audio they release is that whatever the ref says on the field "he plays the ball", "just a coming together", etc The VAR will do absolutely everything they can to try to find evidence that was true. They'll use the same words the ref used too.

In the Forest incident the ref live said "he plays the ball" VAR looks at it and sees that the defender kicked the back of the attackers leg and never once touched the ball but they said it was an attempt as he's trying to play the ball and some minor contact so call stands.

They're not looking and saying "was this call right" but instead looking and saying "is there any way I can possibly come up with, even if it makes no sense, that I can claim the ref was right"
The whole thing is so backwards. This should have been the easiest thing, but as we’ve said it’s obviously being sabotaged internally. The explanations don’t even make sense half the time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Despite being offside there, Havertz movement today had been sublime

I still don't understand why you ever play him deeper. Kai may not be the most clinical finisher, but he's so much better further forward. The best he's ever looked was as a false 9 with Volland as a wide striker on the right, Wirtz at the 10, and Diaby on the left.

Reactions: gary69

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I still don't understand why you ever play him deeper. Kai may not be the most clinical finisher, but he's so much better further forward. The best he's ever looked was as a false 9 with Volland as a wide striker on the right, Wirtz at the 10, and Diaby on the left.
I think it was more circumstance than Arteta actually getting in wrong. We were still hoping that Gabriel Jesus could return to pre-knee operation Jesus, but he hasn't been able to do that. And we have had a massive hole at left 8 while Partey was injured for 80% of the season.

I might come to regret saying this, but Havertz form has made me want to splash all of our cash this summer on a midfielder rather than a striker.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He needs a running start for his diving

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it was more circumstance than Arteta actually getting in wrong. We were still hoping that Gabriel Jesus could return to pre-knee operation Jesus, but he hasn't been able to do that. And we have had a massive hole at left 8 while Partey was injured for 80% of the season.

I might come to regret saying this, but Havertz form has made me want to splash all of our cash this summer on a midfielder rather than a striker.

I mean I get why managers that have a hole to fill look at Kai and think that his skillset can plug any gap...but he's just so much less effective when he's not dragging defenders out of position.

Reactions: KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad