GWT: EPL - Matchweek 34 (ft. MW 29)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Chelsea is a fascinating case of 'where do they go from there?'

I think they pretty much have no choice but to quadruple down on what they've done because of the contracts and money but they've looked the same all year - ultra inconsistent veering on outright bad. How much wiggle room are they going to have for potential improvements? Are they actually going to lose Gallagher (out of all players!)?
I’d rather not contemplate it

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Chelsea is a fascinating case of 'where do they go from there?'

I think they pretty much have no choice but to quadruple down on what they've done because of the contracts and money but they've looked the same all year - ultra inconsistent veering on outright bad. How much wiggle room are they going to have for potential improvements? Are they actually going to lose Gallagher (out of all players!)?
I think the upside if you’re a Chelsea fan is that they’ve actually been really good in terms of xG. With an offseason of progression/improvement and some better “puck luck,” there’s an argument that they’re competing for UCL spots next year.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think the upside if you’re a Chelsea fan is that they’ve actually been really good in terms of xG. With an offseason of progression/improvement and some better “puck luck,” there’s an argument that they’re competing for UCL spots next year.
I think when your xG is chronically underperformed it loses its “we’ll regress to the mean” predictive power.

But also, the problem this year has definitely not been goals. Poch needs to learn how to coach a defense.

Ouch

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I'm not as into as xG as into you guys because after that the question inevitably turns into stuff like 'but what if my striker is made out of cardboard?' that xG doesn't answer.

And ooooff Havertz pours it on

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think when your xG is chronically underperformed it loses its “we’ll regress to the mean” predictive power.

But also, the problem this year has definitely not been goals. Poch needs to learn how to coach a defense.

Ouch
Perhaps, but that’s definitely the upside argument. The downside argument is that Palmer caught lightning in a bottle, the defense is disjointed, Petrovic is a little less lucky and the midfield doesn’t gel.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
65 million for that guy is murder when you watch him play TBH.
Yeah, but nobody bats an eye when City spend $60M on Matheus Nunes and staple him to the bench. Or $90M for Gvardiol just to play him at LB.

Arsenal overpaid for Havertz, but he's a great squad player. Rather not have him be our starting 9, but he brings something to the team.

Reactions: maclean

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
gabriel fully wrapped his arm around Noni and dragged him down

Yeah, but nobody bats an eye when City spend $60M on Matheus Nunes and staple him to the bench. Or $90M for Gvardiol just to play him at LB.

Arsenal overpaid for Havertz, but he's a great squad player. Rather not have him be our starting 9, but he brings something to the team.
He meant Cucurella lol

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'm not as into as xG as into you guys because after that the question inevitably turns into stuff like 'but what if my striker is made out of cardboard?' that xG doesn't answer.

And ooooff Havertz pours it on
I don’t think it’s the end all be all, but it definitely has its use. The argument basically becomes with a little more finishing luck, it could be a very different situation. But the counter argument is that perhaps Jackson/Mudryk/etc. are just bad finishers.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

I mean the outrage was worse than Antony's or Murdryk's.

It's only because Havertz doesn't possess any explosive fast twitch muscles that he gets shit on.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I mean I don't bat an eye because every big club does it

I don't like City's ways (duh) but I will never ever ever shed a tear for their direct rivals either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad