GWT: EPL - Matchweek 27

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Nice reward for the away fans who had to sacrifice being able to get home in time for work tomorrow

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Of the six times Sheffield have been done 5-0 or more this season, this is the first to have 5 goals in the first half.

Villa hit #5 in the 47th minute.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How many "good teams" are there, then? They've played the 7th and 8th placed teams recently, which is more than Liverpool can say. In fact, if we're not counting matches between Liverpool and Arsenal and no one below 6th place is a good team, Liverpool hasn't played a good team since 12/17 and haven't beat a good team in the EPL since 9/3
I didn't say that LFC played anyone good either. I don't have any problem with the premise that LFC haven't played anyone in a while either. Arsenal have had a lot of easy games during this stretch and they've had a lot of home games during this stretch. A lot of the tougher games left on their schedule are away though. The majority of LFC's tougher games are at home. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. We will see. The only two teams that control their destiny play each other next weekend though. LFC just getting by on the power of friendship right now; so i am glad the schedule has not been too bad.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I didn't say that LFC played anyone good either. I don't have any problem with the premise that LFC haven't played anyone in a while either. Arsenal have had a lot of easy games during this stretch and they've had a lot of home games during this stretch. A lot of the tougher games left on their schedule are away though. The majority of LFC's tougher games are at home. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. We will see. The only two teams that control their destiny play each other next weekend though. LFC just getting by on the power of friendship right now; so i am glad the schedule has not been too bad.
My point is more that if you only count, at most, four teams as good teams, of course there are gaps in the schedule.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My point is more that if you only count, at most, four teams as good teams, of course there are gaps in the schedule.
I mean the point is you can only play who is on the schedule. Arsenal deserve credit for taking care of business and doing it well.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
First time a top flight team has scored 5+ in three consecutive away matches since 1961.

Also, do players get assists for causing own goals?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Where's ESR?
He might be the next sub, but the subs do make a lot of sense to me in terms of who you want to get minutes (Jesus/Vieira) and who you'd want to protect (Saka, Martinelli). I'd probably go ESR for Odegaard or Rice next.

Went with Trossard instead, makes sense as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal are in the easy part of their schedule, and deserve credit for taking care of business and getting that goal difference up. The rest of their run in is not that easy though. They haven't played a good team since New Years besides Liverpool, and they played Liverpool at the best possible time , so they got a bit lucky there. Their run in starts after the international break.
I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest, but it's not like other clubs are coming in and blowing them away, there is something special in Arsenal since the Dubai trip. I get it that we're talking about Arsenal here, but I do want to mention that Liverpool isn't finishing the season with only 2 losses. You lot have had a lot of fortunate late-ending game goals that simply cannot be repeatable for the entire season.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest, but it's not like other clubs are coming in and blowing them away, there is something special in Arsenal since the Dubai trip. I get it that we're talking about Arsenal here, but I do want to mention that Liverpool isn't finishing the season with only 2 losses. You lot have had a lot of fortunate late-ending game goals that simply cannot be repeatable for the entire season.

One man's "fortunate" is another's urgency and clutch, I wouldn't sell them short. At any rate, next weekend will provide us with a lot better picture of where things stand.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Of course they won't finish with only 2 losses. Probably drop one to City coming up.

Unless Liverpool get some players back, it's going to be smoke, mirrors and a lot of hope. Their schedule fortunately has been easy though admittedly, Forest aren't awful, have something to play for, and going there is always tough. Brentford are also no mugs, especially with Toney.

I think there are more than 4 good teams, though the gulf in good and decent to good on their day can sometimes be pretty far. Teams like Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, United and Fulham might not be traditionally GOOD, but sides can't take them lightly. I would argue Bournemouth at times have been a form team and others have tricky elements.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think there are more than 4 good teams, though the gulf in good and decent to good on their day can sometimes be pretty far. Teams like Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, United and Fulham might not be traditionally GOOD, but sides can't take them lightly. I would argue Bournemouth at times have been a form team and others have tricky elements.

Spurs are one of the "4", if you think there aren't 5 good teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad