News Article: Entry Draft on Oct 6th, UFA on Oct 9th

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Absolutely. I'm keeping my expectations reasonable for this pick.

Unless it's Askarov, at which point I fully expect 15 straight Vezina's and Hart trophies.

Well I know if he starts his career with 7 straight Vezina's and then loses his 8th straight, I will be the first to scream BUST!

Reactions: Bench

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I expect nothing more than a couple stop gap signings once again this year.

Yeah, that is what I expect as well. Maybe 1 or 2 Nemeth level defenders and a slightly younger-ish Filppula level forward. I am getting a scary feeling that Howard is going to get a 1 year cheap deal, but I think it is time to just try anyone else.

Our team is bad enough, that we just need to let Rasmussen, Svech, Zadina, and Cholo actually play and not scratch/bench in Cholo's case the second they make a mistake(s). Getting benched constantly when you make mistakes wrecks any and all confidence players have, and we have seen 2 players in recent memory who it totally derailed in Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl. Neither was great, but they both started decent and then Babcock buried them in the, in and out dog house. I don't think that style of coaching really delivers great results anyhow. We suck anyways and there is no real way to be any worse than 23 pts behind freaking Ottawa, so the let the kids just play.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
comparisons i've seen have included patrick kane, nick suzuki, jordan eberle, and dylan strome. if i had to guess, i'd expect perfetti to produce as a 50-60 point winger in his prime.

Dylan Strome is a terrible comp. I think that's a conservative point projection, personally. I really think he can be a 30 goal man in the NHL, so it comes down to how much playmaking you think he can offer in addition to that.

Reminds of a bigger Clayton Keller.

I can kind of see that. I'd like to think Keller has another level to his game still. Had that 65 point season as a sophomore.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Khan on Krug:
No doubt the Red Wings would like to add a player like Krug to bolster their defense and spark their dreadful power play. He has averaged 53 points over the past four seasons and plays an abrasive, physical game despite his 5-9, 186-pound frame.

Of Krug’s 337 career points, 160 have come on the power play (24 goals, 136 assists). The Red Wings have the worst power play in the league over the past four seasons combined (16.4 percent).

Would it be the right move? Yes. Long-term contracts often become an albatross for teams in the final couple of seasons, but that’s the cost of doing business. The Red Wings need to add some talent, in addition to developing their own, to make significant strides.

But would Krug want to leave a Stanley Cup contender, the top team in the league during the regular season, for a club that figures to struggle for at least a couple more years, even if it is his hometown team?

The Bruins do not want to lose Krug and have the cap space to sign him.

My guess is Krug remains in Boston, forcing the Red Wings to pursue one or two second- or third-tier free-agent defensemen, or perhaps use some of their draft picks to trade for one.
I'm surprised he thinks signing Krug makes sense.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, that is what I expect as well. Maybe 1 or 2 Nemeth level defenders and a slightly younger-ish Filppula level forward. I am getting a scary feeling that Howard is going to get a 1 year cheap deal, but I think it is time to just try anyone else.

Our team is bad enough, that we just need to let Rasmussen, Svech, Zadina, and Cholo actually play and not scratch/bench in Cholo's case the second they make a mistake(s). Getting benched constantly when you make mistakes wrecks any and all confidence players have, and we have seen 2 players in recent memory who it totally derailed in Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl. Neither was great, but they both started decent and then Babcock buried them in the, in and out dog house. I don't think that style of coaching really delivers great results anyhow. We suck anyways and there is no real way to be any worse than 23 pts behind freaking Ottawa, so the let the kids just play.

Cholowski needs to show he belongs. He was arguably the worst defenseman on a team full of bad defensemen. He shouldn't be gifted a top 6 spot just because we wasted a first round pick on him. He wasn't even the 4th best defenseman in Grand Rapids when demoted.
I think you're slightly correct on Brendan Smith having his career derailed by Babcock, but Kindl was always bad. He and Cholowski share the same problems with decision making, soft play in their zone, and poor pinches.

Reactions: odin1981

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm still fully on board with waiting to see if Stuz of Byfield drop and if they don't calling up TB and offering the 4th for Sergachev. I'm just not enamored with any of the available options at 4 unless someone drops. We are going to sit here and waste a bunch of prime years of Larks, Mantha, Bert, Zadina, Fabbri, etc. waiting for a defense to develop. We have scorers that could thrive off the rush but that requires having a defense with more than one guy that can complete a pass.

They key to having a decent sized window is having a defense ready when your forwards hit their typically earlier prime. If we don't have a D ready then at best we are the Leafs, and I don't see us having a Marner/Mathews/ Tavares trio at forward.

The team I look to build like is the Bruins. In the cap world it is the most efficient way to ice a good team. Good defense will always cost less than good offense.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Keep in mind that I don’t know what I’m talking about really and am not a scout. I also operate on the principle that if I set my expectations high, I will be disappointed. On the other hand, I don’t think 50-60 points is much to ask for of a top five pick.
You're probably closer to the reality compared to many in here like myself that hope he gets 70 plus points.

Lottery just bites...Maybe we have a repeat of 1983 :crossfing

I will laugh when Drysdale gets taken at #2 or #3 and SY ends up taking someone other than Byfield or Stutzle
I'd probably break down, and cry.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Agreed...His numbers are likely to drop considering who we have on this team when compared to Boston, and he won't have as good of a defense partner too.

I agree as well.

I like Krug and think he is a very talented offensive defenseman. I also think that he's allowed to succeed because Boston's forwards actually provide defensive support, and his partner in Boston is better than anyone Detroit has right now. Detroit wouldn't get a 50+ point krug who is barely in the plus column, but would end up with a 30 point Krug that's solidly in the minus. I don't think he gets 25-30PP points like he does in Boston. Closer to 15 because we don't have weapons like Marchand or Pastrnak.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he's paired with Seider and the two become an unlikely and successful duo?

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Another good game by Hirvonen, second line center ,had assist in 1:0 game. Otto looks very good also

Reactions: Realgud

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree as well.

I like Krug and think he is a very talented offensive defenseman. I also think that he's allowed to succeed because Boston's forwards actually provide defensive support, and his partner in Boston is better than anyone Detroit has right now. Detroit wouldn't get a 50+ point krug who is barely in the plus column, but would end up with a 30 point Krug that's solidly in the minus. I don't think he gets 25-30PP points like he does in Boston. Closer to 15 because we don't have weapons like Marchand or Pastrnak.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he's paired with Seider and the two become an unlikely and successful duo?

I think I would expect Krug to produce at a higher rate than Hronek, and that we'd see our power play get noticeably better with him distributing the puck from the point.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think I would expect Krug to produce at a higher rate than Hronek, and that we'd see our power play get noticeably better with him distributing the puck from the point.

People underestimate how much adding one Krug can completely change your entire powerplay and your entire attack. He would elevate everyone on the ice with him. He does that in Boston. They'll miss him a lot offensively if he leaves.

No, he's not the purebred 200 foot defender we're all dreaming of. But if you want any hope of turning this ship around before @Winger98 's kids are in college, we're going to need some players like Krug added in free agency or trades. Building entirely through the draft alone will take a damn decade, at which point... start over again, your young stud from 2020 is now 27 and wants a $100 million dollar deal.

We'd be lucky to have a guy like Krug on the roster, ultimately. He would take so much pressure off our developing blueline and give an elite puck mover to our forwards, so desperate for someone to make them look good - rather than the other way around.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
People underestimate how much adding one Krug can completely change your entire powerplay and your entire attack. He would elevate everyone on the ice with him. He does that in Boston. They'll miss him a lot offensively if he leaves.

No, he's not the purebred 200 foot defender we're all dreaming of. But if you want any hope of turning this ship around before @Winger98 's kids are in college, we're going to need some players like Krug added in free agency or trades. Building entirely through the draft alone will take a damn decade, at which point... start over again, your young stud from 2020 is now 27 and wants a $100 million dollar deal.

We'd be lucky to have a guy like Krug on the roster, ultimately. He would take so much pressure off our developing blueline and give an elite puck mover to our forwards, so desperate for someone to make them look good - rather than the other way around.

one of my kids is a senior in high school this year...

the next one will be awhile, though.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

The absolutely massive decline by Green this season is often overlooked by people. Having a guy who can feed your forwards quality looks from the blueline is a huge advantage, and Krug is about as multi-faceted as they come in the modern power play. I think we are still a bottom 3 team in the league with him, but much more fun to watch.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
one of my kids is a senior in high school this year...

the next one will be awhile, though.
Would your family consider adopting a house-broken male (7 in Dog years), I know a guy (asking for a friend).

Likes: hockey, classic rock, motorcycles, the beach, good food, reading etc.
Dislikes: The Illuminati & Avocado toast :laugh:

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Whoops. Damn dude. I didn't realize.

So...big gulps, huh? Welp, see you later!

Hey, if it gets Yzerman's ass in gear I'm all for it.

To be fair, the next one turns six in a month, and the other is still measured in months. Yzerman better have a winning team on the ice before this last one has to take his SATs.

And, yeah, I think Krug's impact isn't appreciated. Part of the reason Pasternak and Marchand look so good on the power play is that they have Krug there to make that power play go. How good would Mantha look with Krug breaking down the other side of the ice, opening up lanes for cross ice passes and slappers? And when teams try to rush over to cover Mantha on the other end of the rink, who does that leave more room for down low? Bert. Larkin. Rasmussen.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I like Krug as a player, but I question how big a deal we'd have to give him to come to Detroit. Anything over 5 or 6 years would give me major pause. The last thing we need when Larkin/Mantha/Zadina/etc need new deals is another Abdelkader/Nielson situation. I definitely think Krug is a better player than them, but its a conversation worth having. Lots of players fall flat as they approach their mid thirties in age.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

In concept, much like Pudge Rodriguez was the first free agent to help turn the Tigers around during their previous rebuild and subsequent window of contention.

In practice, I don't know if Krug is that guy for Detroit. But I agree with the concept

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad