OT: Entrepreneurship

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You're a fitness instructor and your skills were good enough to land you a dream job in KSA.

Build on that skillset, help others start their own fitness related business or use your connections to start
That makes sense. He's already established and has built credibility in several communities where he has worked. He just needs to monetize those skills on different platforms, not just in person training. He's able to write long-winded answers in here where he's able to logically develop ideas, so he can certainly write a book, a blog, programs for online use, one on one training on line, build an online community.

Get someone who can design a website properly, perhaps even set up an app. Appear on shows that are open to entrepreneurs. There are opportunities for him everywhere. Especially now, an online business can really get off the ground quickly.

something new that offers real value to the clients unlike 99% of the gyms in Montreal.

The issue with the fitness industry is there is so much free available information. Countless websites and blogs, unlimited workout routines and programs available online. Really, anything you're looking for, just do a youtube search and you'll find it.

I'm struggling to think outside the box to where it lands on a feasible interesting idea. I have one that I could potentially work through my network but it's seasonal peaking during summer, would have needed to start planning in winter. Looking into it but it's a low probability at this point.

Fitness equipment companies are on a big backlog as the demand increased tenfold. Also problematic to the industry as a lot of people are getting used to training at home and getting the necessary equipment so paying for monthly fees isn't going to be all that appealing anymore. I expect a lot of gyms to close up. The hope is people will put a lot of value on the communal aspect of going to the gym where it's also a social activity or the ''prestige'' of being part of a country club like Midtown Sanctuaire.

It's a very tricky time for my industry. The current model isn't sustainable. I have an idea that could be revolutionary but the logistics of it is overwhelming, need to do more research.

Thanks for the support though guys, appreciated.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For goods:
  1. Affordable home fitness equipment (everything on the market seems over priced to me - and I think you can innovate on the material). I think people will be less inclined to use public facilities for a bit.
  2. High end fitness equipment (Flip-side, develop a sincere and effective brand like Tesla or some other high end product.
For services:
  1. Healthy lifestyle tourism; how many people go and train in Brazil for BJJ or Japan for judo, etc... or the equivalent in whatever sport. Packages with training and competition facilities would be fun and maybe you could even go for NGO status or the equivalent. Could be fan based, athlete based.
  2. Online private post secondary education. Thinking of ways to coordinate standards and build networks of these mushroom like institutions. It would be good to know that any particular school is part of a network like this.

Food goods, you're right to think it's overpriced, they doubled the prices. Usually they charge 1$/lbs for free weights for your average-mediocre brand, when I bought some a month ago it was 2$.
High end equipment is simply not worth the cost to the vast majority. Very few people will spend 5K on a Hammer Strength Power Rack or 500-1000$ for an Eleiko bar.
Most are satisfied with mediocre equipment, they actually can't differ between high end or average. They think an adjustable dumbbell from walmart is high quality.

You're right though questioning the use of facilities, I think a lot of people are getting comfortable training at home, doing free live IG workouts, and they'll cut spending on monthly gym fees.
Online coaching was already on the rise before this pandemic, now it's about bring the ''facility'' to the customers imo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The issue with the fitness industry is there is so much free available information. Countless websites and blogs, unlimited workout routines and programs available online. Really, anything you're looking for, just do a youtube search and you'll find it.

I'm struggling to think outside the box to where it lands on a feasible interesting idea. I have one that I could potentially work through my network but it's seasonal peaking during summer, would have needed to start planning in winter. Looking into it but it's a low probability at this point.

Fitness equipment companies are on a big backlog as the demand increased tenfold. Also problematic to the industry as a lot of people are getting used to training at home and getting the necessary equipment so paying for monthly fees isn't going to be all that appealing anymore. I expect a lot of gyms to close up. The hope is people will put a lot of value on the communal aspect of going to the gym where it's also a social activity or the ''prestige'' of being part of a country club like Midtown Sanctuaire.

It's a very tricky time for my industry. The current model isn't sustainable. I have an idea that could be revolutionary but the logistics of it is overwhelming, need to do more research.

The link I provided in this thread is about a guy who appears to be making a living from his online activities as a trainer. Clearly, some people are willing to pay to have him provide one on one sessions. He mentioned how this was a big part of his business. He also said that there was a lot of support from the community he built. Those people who are using his services trust him over all the free stuff online, so clearly there is a paying clientele. Not everyone believes they can trust the free stuff online. At least you're certified and you have a lot of experience. Cash it in.

Toews19

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal

How about a business that incorporates the entire well being experience. Physical exercise, nutrition as well as meditation/yoga for the mind as well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The link I provided in this thread is about a guy who appears to be making a living from his online activities as a trainer. Clearly, some people are willing to pay to have him provide one on one sessions. He mentioned how this was a big part of his business. He also said that there was a lot of support from the community he built. Those people who are using his services trust him over all the free stuff online, so clearly there is a paying clientele. Not everyone believes they can trust the free stuff online. At least you're certified and you have a lot of experience. Cash it in.

Ya...I'm sure he'll say that. I have my doubts. I know a lot of people in the industry, surviving right now is very difficult for most.
Milesfit had an established clientele, it makes it easier for them to keep clients onboard.
There absolutely is a paying clientele, but I wouldn't want to be just one of many others. I need to be innovative otherwise it's simply not worth the risk.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How about a business that incorporates the entire well being experience. Physical exercise, nutrition as well as meditation/yoga for the mind as well.
Yes, that's what I'm looking into. Have contacts at GoodFood, am working to develop a comprehensive wellness package in partnership with them.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
You're a fitness instructor and your skills were good enough to land you a dream job in KSA.

Build on that skillset, help others start their own fitness related business or use your connections to start something new that offers real value to the clients unlike 99% of the gyms in Montreal.

Smart!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I still think that opening a chain of Swedish Sausage sausage kiosks or carts. Use a fancy name with Swedish letters (they like that here) like "Örvar's Körvar". Then go all Swedish, maybe inject a few US things like corn on the cob (yikes), definitely a few types of kosher beef sausages, that sweet type of hot dog bun but that is enough. Then have all these wonderful other types of sausages like wieners in natural casing (pork), weisswurst (pork and natural casing as well), different types of bratwurst (all with natural casing), pork, veal or beef, curry in some. Polish, Spanish and South American sausages. Apart from the wieners you grill them and use a piece of what is called baguette here and make a hole, then put in sauce remoulade or shrimp salad, hot or non hot mustard, Heinz or curry ketchup, relish, onions, sauerkraut and then the sausage. Obviously this year it is not the greatest idea but I am sure it would bring lots of money once the market starts moving with a beat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ya...I'm sure he'll say that. I have my doubts. I know a lot of people in the industry, surviving right now is very difficult for most.
Milesfit had an established clientele, it makes it easier for them to keep clients onboard.
There absolutely is a paying clientele, but I wouldn't want to be just one of many others. I need to be innovative otherwise it's simply not worth the risk.

What do you have to lose? Services in your field are highly valued if they are offered on a one to one basis. You can do that from your home gym.

Also, the Miles guy didn't just magically develop a clientele, he had to start somewhere. Start with one customer and build it from there.

As you do that, you won't be posting here as much as you'll be too busy making money. :D

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Unless you think gyms will never come back, is there a reason you can't restart the business you had?

If you're willing to bank on things returning to normal, take this down-time as an opportunity to ramp up marketing, develop programs, build a social media platform, so you'll be in a stronger position when people start training in person again.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Unless you think gyms will never come back, is there a reason you can't restart the business you had?

If you're willing to bank on things returning to normal, take this down-time as an opportunity to ramp up marketing, develop programs, build a social media platform, so you'll be in a stronger position when people start training in person again.
I think gyms will be affected quite a fair deal. Most places have a business model aimed towards filling their place up. They'll need to change.
With so many people buying equipment to use at home and getting used to IG/YT live workouts, I'm not convinced everyone will go back to the gym once it's permitted.

I do have my job waiting for me in Saudi whenever they allow international flights but not exactly sure when that will happen, or if I even want to go back at this point. Being back for so long..good to be surrounded by close friends and family. I do very much like the expat life though, so depends on whether or not there's something I can build here.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What do you have to lose? Services in your field are highly valued if they are offered on a one to one basis. You can do that from your home gym.

Also, the Miles guy didn't just magically develop a clientele, he had to start somewhere. Start with one customer and build it from there.

As you do that, you won't be posting here as much as you'll be too busy making money. :D

Ya, but he started by having his studio. It's not a bad idea, there's just so many people doing this right now that I'd need to find a different approach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ya, but he started by having his studio. It's not a bad idea, there's just so many people doing this right now that I'd need to find a different approach.

A studio would require you to commit to staying somewhere for a considerable time. Since you have plans to move out of Montreal, I figured that staying virtual would give you mobility, offering your services from any location.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A studio would require you to commit to staying somewhere for a considerable time. Since you have plans to move out of Montreal, I figured that staying virtual would give you mobility, offering your services from any location.
I used to be a partner of a studio before selling my shares and leaving. Not sure I'd want to get back into that.
If I were to stay, I'd look for deep pocket partners to build a one of a kind facility.
That, or I'd look at Nautilus...or World's...Midtown...to see if I can land a director level position ideally in business development/strategy.

The other option is get out entirely of this field and start fresh.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

I saw an ad for home fitness company. They send instructors to your home and they train you based on the equipment you have at home. They have no gym, no equipment, just a network of freelance personal trainers.

Get yourself a small van with basic equipment, a bench, weights, bars, etc.. that you can setup at a client's home and train them 2-3 times a week.

Just because there are plenty of free programs doesn't mean people won't go for what you're offering. I paid for a personal trainer at the gym.

My friend is a personal trainer and spin instructor, for 30 days, every morning he gave the employees at the company where I work a 15 minute workout and 30 minutes on Friday. He did it for free for a month to promote himself and I'm pretty sure he'll get a few signups when this is over.

My nutritionist reached out to HR departments of companies where she knows someone that works there to offer her services at a discounted rate. She landed contracts for a couple of major companies on top of her regular clients.

Get a partner and launch a new type of gym. Gyms in Montreal are either too expensive, too rundown or their services are generic and too impersonal. I'm sure you know this better than I do.

Point is, you know what you're good at, so that's half the battle. You have the proper contacts. Find your sweet spot and market yourself.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I saw an ad for home fitness company. They send instructors to your home and they train you based on the equipment you have at home. They have no gym, no equipment, just a network of freelance personal trainers.

Get yourself a small van with basic equipment, a bench, weights, bars, etc.. that you can setup at a client's home and train them 2-3 times a week.

Just because there are plenty of free programs doesn't mean people won't go for what you're offering. I paid for a personal trainer at the gym.

My friend is a personal trainer and spin instructor, for 30 days, every morning he gave the employees at the company where I work a 15 minute workout and 30 minutes on Friday. He did it for free for a month to promote himself and I'm pretty sure he'll get a few signups when this is over.

My nutritionist reached out to HR departments of companies where she knows someone that works there to offer her services at a discounted rate. She landed contracts for a couple of major companies on top of her regular clients.

Get a partner and launch a new type of gym. Gyms in Montreal are either too expensive, too rundown or their services are generic and too impersonal. I'm sure you know this better than I do.

Point is, you know what you're good at, so that's half the battle. You have the proper contacts. Find your sweet spot and market yourself.

I'm looking into this but on a bigger scale and collaborating with meal servicing companies so we can offer comprehensive wellness packages.

Reactions: Edgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad